Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    I wonder why he didn't mention this - weight perhaps?

For me, it would be the GH2 and 100-300mm. No mirror slap also
    I think it's because he only had these 2 sets to borrow - no choice in the lenses.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    He's not buying that exact combo I think, just trying to compare apples and oranges.

But given a choice, I'd take an A55 with a 70-300G. No mirror slap.
    @Rashkae
    Thankyou in the first place, I like the way you put it "Compare apple w Orange"

But you have given me some indication: A55 + 70-300Ghttp://www.sony.com.sg/product/sal70300g
    Total weight : 1201g vs D90 1365g

Now I have to find out how sharp is these two lenses are NIKOR 70-300 VR ED vs SONY 70-300G.
    If SONY is sharper then I go for it even at maximum focal length=300 and I have another choice of buying the Sony MRL at 500mm.

Appreciate very much if any of our club members /Senior uses 70-300G before, please help with thanks.

Anyway the comparison was done with the ultimate aim of choosing one system over the other. However, it wasn't the most thorough and fair comparison, so the results are pretty inconclusive.

In the end, I still think that the biggest deciding factors between these 2 cameras are gonna be things like ergonomics, price, features, weight, etc, instead of solely sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Anyway the comparison was done with the ultimate aim of choosing one system over the other. However, it wasn't the most thorough and fair comparison, so the results are pretty inconclusive.

In the end, I still think that the biggest deciding factors between these 2 cameras are gonna be things like ergonomics, price, features, weight, etc, instead of solely sharpness.
    just to add on.

Lens. The quality and price of the lens available for a system is a deciding factor for some.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    I wonder why he didn't mention this - weight perhaps?

For me, it would be the GH2 and 100-300mm. No mirror slap also
    @elgkh
    Thanks so much for follow up my query, YES! I did mention weight otherwise will be Canon + Big gunner lenes. I am a weak person and that is the reason I go for light weight but able me to capture reasonable sharp images of birds etc.

Thanks again.
    Visited yr album, you have got NICE shots.

Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    @Rashkae
    Thankyou in the first place, I like the way you put it "Compare apple w Orange"

But you have given me some indication: A55 + 70-300Ghttp://www.sony.com.sg/product/sal70300g
    Total weight : 1201g vs D90 1365g

Now I have to find out how sharp is these two lenses are NIKOR 70-300 VR ED vs SONY 70-300G.
    If SONY is sharper then I go for it even at maximum focal length=300 and I have another choice of buying the Sony MRL at 500mm.

Appreciate very much if any of our club members /Senior uses 70-300G before, please help with thanks.
    Even if we used 70-300G, doesn't mean we also used Nikon so can't really compare.

Why not read the reviews?
    http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...report?start=1

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...0_4556?start=1

"The Sony 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 SSM G is high quality lens and possibly the best of the breed (70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 class). The resolution figures are very good across the zoom range. "
    Last edited by Rashkae; 11th January 2011 at 04:23 PM.
    Alpha

@ZerocoolAstra
    Thanks so much for following up my query, in-term of ergonomics I think both Nikon and Sony have a good interface with human so isn't the issue.
    Price, both are also there as not much of a diff.
    Features wise, just the matter of getting use to it and finally the weight is a big consent to me.
    Sharpness is still the point, as Rashkae and your goodself has pointed out that "no mirror slap", I have not fully understand this terms but I think you are talking about the mirror movement.
    So now more or less I have decided to go for A55+70-300G once I can have some feedback on these two lenses (Nikon 70-300VR ED vs Sony 70-300G) I'm done.

Thanks again

@ZerocoolAstra
    Thanks so much for following up my query, in-term of ergonomics I think both Nikon and Sony have a good interface with human so isn't the issue.
    Price, both are also there as not much of a diff.
    Features wise, just the matter of getting use to it and finally the weight is a big consent to me.
    Sharpness is still the point, as Rashkae and your goodself has pointed out that "no mirror slap", I have not fully understand this terms but I think you are talking about the mirror movement.
    So now more or less I have decided to go for A55+70-300G once I can have some feedback on these two lenses (Nikon 70-300VR ED vs Sony 70-300G) I'm done.

Thanks again
    you are unlikely to find many CSers who own both, thus being able to give you an objective opinion. A Nikon 70-300 user will likely vote for the Nikon lens, as would a Sony user vote for the Sony...

For such scientific tests on sharpness, best to rely on comparison sites like photozone.de and so on.
    Exploring! :)

@elgkh
    Thanks so much for follow up my query, YES! I did mention weight otherwise will be Canon + Big gunner lenes. I am a weak person and that is the reason I go for light weight but able me to capture reasonable sharp images of birds etc.

Thanks again.
    Visited yr album, you have got NICE shots.
    You're welcome. Thanks for visiting

you are unlikely to find many CSers who own both, thus being able to give you an objective opinion. A Nikon 70-300 user will likely vote for the Nikon lens, as would a Sony user vote for the Sony...

For such scientific tests on sharpness, best to rely on comparison sites like photozone.de and so on.
    Can try the dpreview forums also, you may even find people who have switched from one to the other. I'm sure there are also flickr groups for both these lenses.

Thanks again
    See the links I posted.
    Alpha

See the links I posted.
    @Rashkae
    Oh yes, I read both and both claim to be good but I've heard of the "G" version before, it more or less like the Canon "L" series.

I may just go to Sony style to check it out before going down to SLR, CP etc.

Thanks alot.

The photos were shot at high ISO. Noise processing would affect the sharpness. If TS is going to shoot only at high ISO, then this comparison 'may' be useful. One would need to do another comparison at lower ISO to decide which one is better with less noise processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermitfm View Post
    The photos were shot at high ISO. Noise processing would affect the sharpness. If TS is going to shoot only at high ISO, then this comparison 'may' be useful. One would need to do another comparison at lower ISO to decide which one is better with less noise processing.
    The sensors are almost the same generation, with the A55 being the slightly newer version. The difference is not that big.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Kermitfm View Post
    @Kermitfm
    Thankyou so much for your advise, understood.

I shall borrow it again during weekend from friends and shoot again at Low ISO and come back for your and other Seniors to review and help me.

I appreciated so much that all of you are so helpful ...THANKS AGAIN ALL.

@Kermitfm

I base on your suggestion to retake at lower ISO to finalize, quicky went to my two friends home to borrow the two cam again and retake these two shots with ISO 400, F8 and hopefully can settle my decision by this week lol with all Seniors help.

EXIF data link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pt657/

#1 A55 + Sony 500mm MRL

#2 D90 + 70-300mm VR ED

Thankyou so much to all CS members.

Same advice as before. Test the A55 with the 70-300G for a "fair" comparison. Look at 100% crops, not reduced size images.

But just based on those 2, I still think the A55 looks sharper and I can see more texture, like in the cement area to the right of the crane, even though the 500mm mirror lens is not a very sharp lens and usually has poorer contrast. For the lower pic, it looks like in-camera sharpening was turned up higher instead of being at "0".
    Alpha

Same advice as before. Test the A55 with the 70-300G for a "fair" comparison. Look at 100% crops, not reduced size images.

But just based on those 2, I still think the A55 looks sharper and I can see more texture, like in the cement area to the right of the crane, even though the 500mm mirror lens is not a very sharp lens and usually has poorer contrast. For the lower pic, it looks like in-camera sharpening was turned up higher instead of being at "0".
    @Rashkae,
    Sure Thanks will take your advise, I will go Sonystyle to do a test shot with A55+ 70-300G

Thanks again

@Rashkae,
    Sure Thanks will take your advise, I will go Sonystyle to do a test shot with A55+ 70-300G

Thanks again
    so in summary, you're still pursuing this "I'll buy the camera which is sharper" agenda?
    Don't any of the other factors affect your buying decision at all?
    Exploring! :)

so in summary, you're still pursuing this "I'll buy the camera which is sharper" agenda?
    Don't any of the other factors affect your buying decision at all?
    @ZerocoolAstra,
    Thanks I understand what you means, I will be also looking at D90 as it really a good body that it specs are comparable to D300s except the body built, double mem cards and 7fps vs 4.5fps etc. I have to decide which lens to go for for D90 cos I think or Nikor 70-300mmVR ED lens is not so sharp and also when I zoom in and peep the pixel, it was Smearing.

By the way, do you have any lens in mind that is better than this 70-300VR ED? and weight reasonable not 1.9kg like Sigma 150-500mm.

Thankyou so much.

If all you do is pixel-peep, you will never be happy. Also, learn to shoot in RAW, it will add a whole new dimension to your pixel-peeping.

Might as well go for an A900 with a CZ 135mm and shoot RAW, then you can pixel-peep till you're happy.
    Alpha

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast