Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Just some points to add, do not just focus on sharpness, there are other factors which makes a camera a good camera if you weld it well. Features like AF speed, dynamic range, high ISO performance, body built-in vibration reduction, remote trigger of off-shoe flash via onboard flash (CLS), etc
    @Overide2Zion
    Thankyou for your advise as I have noted it too.
    Thanks again

Is there a way/tool to measure sharpness, in camera or post processing software like photoshop? Something like histogram for exposure and contrast. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Har? So in the end "which photo is sharper" was simply "should I buy Sony or Nikon?" hidden in disguise?

Darn...
    Hi ZerocoolAstra
    Not really, I dont ask Sony or Nikon instead the correct word should be "which system" cos both has been configured and I need really the feedback on sharpness.

See:
    Nikon D90 configured with 70-300 ED VR Lens (1365gm)
    Alpha A55 configured with 500mm AF Mirror Reflex Lens. (1096gm)

(To make D90 to 500mm reach) will have to configure with Sigma : 150-500mm (1780g)
    http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english...00_5_63_os.htm

Over these two systems, I will go for the one that members out there selected most base on it sharpness. The weight is my concern too and that the reason I'm asking which is sharper and not Nikon or Sony.
    Last edited by pt657; 11th January 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Wow, that Sony has quite a good reach/weight ratio. Will you be getting the exact combo that you tested? Different lens and body combos may perform differently, even through they are of the same brand.

I guess you will be shooting birds or wildlife at that range. What sort of focal length are you looking at - 300-500mm? Reason I'm asking is that I'm intrigued by your selection criteria (reach + weight).

Like I said, there are many factors involved in sharpness. Whilst the lens plays a part, the body can make a difference due to the Anti-Aliasing (AA) filter.

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    Wow, that Sony has quite a good reach/weight ratio. Will you be getting the exact combo that you tested? Different lens and body combos may perform differently, even through they are of the same brand.

I guess you will be shooting birds or wildlife at that range. What sort of focal length are you looking at - 300-500mm? Reason I'm asking is that I'm intrigued by your selection criteria (reach + weight).

Like I said, there are many factors involved in sharpness. Whilst the lens plays a part, the body can make a difference due to the Anti-Aliasing (AA) filter.
    Hi,
    Focal length can be 70-300mm or a 500mm (MRL), this is what I'm out for. I'm aware of others factors involing sharpness too, not only the body but the lens plays the most important part of it but at least purchase a right system for a start with forum readers suggested and with that I won't goes wrong.

Do you always shoot at the super long range of 300mm and 500mm?
    To get very sharp photos at the super long range of 300mm, 400mm and 500mm, it's better to use those super expensive prime lenses like the following:

AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
    AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR

For consumer grade tele zoom lenses, their performance are normally weakest at the tele end. So it's not the fault of your settings but sometimes it's the gear that limit you.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Quote Originally Posted by kentwong81 View Post
    Do you always shoot at the super long range of 300mm and 500mm?
    To get very sharp photos at the super long range of 300mm, 400mm and 500mm, it's better to use those super expensive prime lenses like the following:

AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f2.8G ED VR II
    AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
    AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4G ED VR
    AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR

For consumer grade tele zoom lenses, their performance are normally weakest at the tele end. So it's not the fault of your settings but sometimes it's the gear that limit you.
    Ok so have you shot with one of the above lens before and do you have a photo to show it sharpness for my third consideration but weight is my concern otherwise the CANON types of lenses are perfect that I knew.

just an example if you want to compare sharpness.
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...t/page4c.shtml
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

You may go to Flickr and search the photos taken by these lenses, or you can find some photos in the Nikon website http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im.../lens/list.htm.

Long range tele lenses are heavy especially the good ones. May I know why you need such a long range tele lens? For shooting wildlife, birds and sports?

Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    Ok so have you shot with one of the above lens before and do you have a photo to show it sharpness for my third consideration but weight is my concern otherwise the CANON types of lenses are perfect that I knew.
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

Hi ZerocoolAstra
    Not really, I dont ask Sony or Nikon instead the correct word should be "which system" cos both has been configured and I need really the feedback on sharpness.

Over these two systems, I will go for the one that members out there selected most base on it sharpness. The weight is my concern too and that the reason I'm asking which is sharper and not Nikon or Sony.
    Why is sharpness your only concern?

Here's my thoughts...

D90: Uses the Sony sensor in the A500. A good camera.
    A55: Uses the Sony sensor also found in the D7000. Fast autofocus in liveview, fast autofocus in video, articulating LCD and built-in antishake so no need to buy VR lenses.

Also: The A55 has no mirror slap vibrations.

When you consider that both cameras use sensors from the same company, It all boils down to the features you need in the body, and the lens choices.

FYI, to me, the Sony 500mm AF reflex lens is sharp, but not as sharp as the Sony 70-300G or 70-400G. I think a fairer comparison would have been to use the Sony 70-300G as you are using a 70-300 on the Nikon; this way both are using "normal" lenses of similar range and structure.

And if you want it even fairer, you could have used a sony A500 as that's the exact same sensor as the D90 and more "equal" in terms of features (the A55 is feature-packed!!).
    Last edited by Rashkae; 11th January 2011 at 10:31 AM.
    Alpha

Smile Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

Dear wmayeo,
    Fist thanks for your comment, may I know what do you mean by " keep it at 100% crop", how can I do that or how to acheive that.

Thanks as I don't quite understanding 100% crop, do you means that I have to say focus at a wording on the crane then crop only the word out to compare instead of looking at the whole photo to comment?

Thanks and your advise is greatly appreciated.
    The zoom part is the 100% crop. Example below. HTH

Is the fix aperture of 500mm a limitation for you? The 500mm has a fix F8 aperture, whereas the 70-300 has a bigger aperture i believe.

If I look at the word 7080 and KOBELCO, B seems much sharper too.

I think body does not matter as much for sharpness cos the sensor is digital, so I think the lens matter most for sharpness. I believe prime lens should give the best sharpness compare to a zoom (could be lighter too), though I'm not sure if the 500mm is considered a prime lens though.

You can also consider third party lens maybe such as from Tamron, Sigma or Tokina.

Google on mirror lens reveals this
    http://www.photozone.de/mirror-lenses

no aperture so it's not possible to control the depth-of-field.
    the mirror reflections eat contrast
    the overall sharpness is usually quite mediocre
    the secondary mirror produces an odd effect donut-like effect on the out-of-focus high-lights. The following picture illustrates this problem.

Nikon D90 configured with 70-300 ED VR Lens (1365gm)
    Alpha A55 configured with 500mm AF Mirror Reflex Lens. (1096gm)
    (To make D90 to 500mm reach) will have to configure with Sigma : 150-500mm (1780g)
    If weight is a concern for you, you might also want to consider the shooting circumstances. In certain situations, shooting handheld with a 500m may not be possible (blurring due to handshake) and you'll need a tripod if not at least a monopod. In such cases, even with a lighter camera and lens combination, you will still be required to carry around other complimenting equipment, this adds on to the overall weight. The D90 sports a 70-300mm VR lens, which means its going to be a little bit more forgiving with regards to handshakes.

Perhaps you could let us know what area of photography you're intending to get into and we can give you better suggestions. Some people use long lens for sports, plane spotting and birding but the circumstances that these lenses are used in varies quite a bit.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 11th January 2011 at 11:11 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    The zoom part is the 100% crop. Example below. HTH

@ wmayeo
    Thankyou so much for explaination and Illustration.
    Appreciated a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    If weight is a concern for you, you might also want to consider the shooting circumstances. In certain situations, shooting handheld with a 500m may not be possible (blurring due to handshake) and you'll need a tripod if not at least a monopod. In such cases, even with a lighter camera and lens combination, you will still be required to carry around other complimenting equipment, this adds on to the overall weight. The D90 sports a 70-300mm VR lens, which means its going to be a little bit more forgiving with regards to handshakes.

Perhaps you could let us know what area of photography you're intending to get into and we can give you better suggestions. Some people use long lens for sports, plane spotting and birding but the circumstances that these lenses are used in varies quite a bit.
    Hi, Override2Zion
    Thankyou for your help, I was a Canon user before with a 100mm IS USM Macro lens taking macro like insects and flowers but has retired.
    Now, I want to move on trying birds etc and that why I am seriously looking at 70-300 or the 500mm, only the Sony 500mm (MRL) has AF and it's the lightest in it class.
    On the other hand, I do not wish to carry tons walking around like some serious bird shooters does. Hmmm....I'm not into professional birding but reasonable sharp will be satify.

Thanks again

I see, for purpose of birding, 300mm may not be quite enough from my personal experience. I would prefer something with more reach, like beyond 400mm. I used to own a Sigma 70-300mm and also tried putting a 2X teleconvertor on a Nikkor 80-200mm. But thats just me and what I experience. I'm not good at birding so perhaps the veterans can give you better advice.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 11th January 2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

@ wmayeo
    Thankyou so much for explaination and Illustration.
    Appreciated a million.
    You're welcome.

Of the two, I will choose the Nikon combo. It is a zoom, and has a bigger aperture (=higher shutter speeds), so will be more useful, despite it being heavier and less sharp.

Have you considered other brands? I'm sure you had fun looking around

Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    Of the two, I will choose the Nikon combo. It is a zoom, and has a bigger aperture (=higher shutter speeds), so will be more useful, despite it being heavier and less sharp.

Have you considered other brands? I'm sure you had fun looking around
    He's not buying that exact combo I think, just trying to compare apples and oranges.

But given a choice, I'd take an A55 with a 70-300G. No mirror slap.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    He's not buying that exact combo I think, just trying to compare apples and oranges.

But given a choice, I'd take an A55 with a 70-300G. No mirror slap.
    I wonder why he didn't mention this - weight perhaps?

For me, it would be the GH2 and 100-300mm. No mirror slap also

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast