Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81

Thread: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

  1. #21

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    eerrm.. where's the focus point?

  2. #22

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    You may refer to the review of 70-300mm ED VR by Thom Hogan below. According to him, this lens usable at 300mm, but this is where this lens' performance is at its weakest in almost every respect.

    http://www.bythom.com/70300vrlens.htm
    Kent Wong Photography |Leica Q & Leica M-P 240 | 75 & 28mm Summilux

  3. #23
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    At web size can't see anything sia.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    Dear friend,
    I am here to bet for help and I suppose you can rather to tell me something that doesn't help, I have tried my best to present.

    I can't see the different and that why asking for help and opinion, if I will do take a P&S vs DSLR, and just do like you say then why am I taking so much trouble to pose it here requesting for help.

    If you don't feel like helping newbies then please be silent rather to say something that not helpful. (Sorry to said that)
    No hard feelings. I'm sorry if my comments are harsh, just stating what I observe.

    I'm not pro in any way and to me, A does look sharper like what others say.

  5. #25
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Need to see 100% to be 100% confirm

  6. #26

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Answer Astracool
    Well, 70-300 is quite a "standard" focal range. I'm sure Sony makes a lens of that range as well. I notice that for the D90's shot it was 1/1000s shutter speed, whilst on the Sony it was 1/1250. Any reason for this discrepancy?
    Also, ISO speed not stated for the shot taken by Sony.

    The shutter speed that I av overlooked, thanks for the highlight
    By the way A55 is also at ISO 1600

    Thanks

  7. #27

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Photo A seems slightly sharper to me.

    But honestly speaking, both look sharp enough at web sizes and the difference is small enough to be negligible. Besides, many other factors like focal point, aperture, technique etc, will affect sharpness.

    What is interesting to me is the different colours produced by both brands, the Sony looks better to me. Of course, this is irrelevant if you shoot RAW, or bother to tweak the JPG output on the Nikon.

    May I ask why you want to make this comparison?

  8. #28

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    Answer Astracool
    Well, 70-300 is quite a "standard" focal range. I'm sure Sony makes a lens of that range as well. I notice that for the D90's shot it was 1/1000s shutter speed, whilst on the Sony it was 1/1250. Any reason for this discrepancy?
    Also, ISO speed not stated for the shot taken by Sony.

    The shutter speed that I av overlooked, thanks for the highlight
    By the way A55 is also at ISO 1600

    Thanks
    Could be differences in the metering used by both cameras. The ISO setting will also vary from what is stated on the camera.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    A is sharper. B colors look more realistic. A's tone seems to be more on the warm side. Both sets in awb?

  10. #30

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by elgkh View Post
    Photo A seems slightly sharper to me.

    But honestly speaking, both look sharp enough at web sizes and the difference is small enough to be negligible. Besides, many other factors like focal point, aperture, technique etc, will affect sharpness.

    What is interesting to me is the different colours produced by both brands, the Sony looks better to me. Of course, this is irrelevant if you shoot RAW, or bother to tweak the JPG output on the Nikon.

    May I ask why you want to make this comparison?
    Hi elgkh
    THANKS. I am making this comparison cos I have short listed these two NIK & ALP but need others help (like your goodself) to comment and then I decide which to buy, as such I hv borrow it from two friends for a test B4 my final decision.

    Thanks

  11. #31

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by chocnoodles View Post
    A is sharper. B colors look more realistic. A's tone seems to be more on the warm side. Both sets in awb?
    Thanks chocnoodles for yr help,
    Both cam using manual mode and WB are set to cloudy for today.

  12. #32

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    Hi elgkh
    THANKS. I am making this comparison cos I have short listed these two NIK & ALP but need others help (like your goodself) to comment and then I decide which to buy, as such I hv borrow it from two friends for a test B4 my final decision.

    Thanks
    In my opinion, this is not a good comparison to decide which camera body to buy. Sharpness is very much dependent on the lens. what are your consideration when choosing between both camera?

    Glad that elgkh raised this question.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    Thanks chocnoodles for yr help,
    Both cam using manual mode and WB are set to cloudy for today.
    Ok. in that case I will get the nikon. The difference in sharpness is negligible as both are considered sharp enough by my standards. The nikon colors looks more realistic if you shoot jpg. Otherwise in raw, it doens't really matter.

    The yellow color of the crane and the green safety cross looks like what I would see with a naked eye.

    Although im a canon user, looking at the number of thread in this forum, you can't go wrong with nikon. If you are the kind who upgrade, do consider the market share of each brand as it will affect the resale value in the future...unless you are the kind who like collecting lens/bodies.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    First of all, thanks so much.
    I can't shoot both at 300mm cos the 500mm is fix lens (Mirror Reflex), both cameras are loan to me for a day as I have not decide which to buy and that the reason for me to seek advise.

    Thanks again
    Just my thoughts, the differences in sharpness is hardly worth pursuing here. They are far too similar. Go look at the other differences between the two cameras. There are plenty. For one, know what type of photography you like, the possible lens combination as well as the controls and user-friendliness of the camera.

    If the above is not what you are looking for then as many have mentioned. A is sharper. But seriously se little point in stating that. Good luck.
    Canon 550D - EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f1.8 II
    Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

  15. #35
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Har? So in the end "which photo is sharper" was simply "should I buy Sony or Nikon?" hidden in disguise?

    Darn...
    Exploring! :)

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,571

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Photo A has more contrast colours. I don't think sharpness is a concern here, because both is sharp. Both photos are in focused (I used the crane as a comparison since the human subjects are in different positions). I do not want to flame anyone, just saying my honest opinion. If you want to do a sharpness test, try to keep it at 100% crop and the subject you can help us to focus on. That will do help for yourself and other forumers to make a proper comparison and better judgment.
    Last edited by wmayeo; 11th January 2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: spelling

  17. #37
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Just some points to add, do not just focus on sharpness, there are other factors which makes a camera a good camera if you weld it well. Features like AF speed, dynamic range, high ISO performance, body built-in vibration reduction, remote trigger of off-shoe flash via onboard flash (CLS), etc
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  18. #38

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post
    IMO I'm going to call photo B as the sharper setup, you magnified B to match A so of course some details will be lost. Secondly A is darker so some details will appear sharper.
    @MRSAMO
    Thanks so much that you understood what I had done to B.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by chocnoodles View Post
    Ok. in that case I will get the nikon. The difference in sharpness is negligible as both are considered sharp enough by my standards. The nikon colors looks more realistic if you shoot jpg. Otherwise in raw, it doens't really matter.

    The yellow color of the crane and the green safety cross looks like what I would see with a naked eye.

    Although im a canon user, looking at the number of thread in this forum, you can't go wrong with nikon. If you are the kind who upgrade, do consider the market share of each brand as it will affect the resale value in the future...unless you are the kind who like collecting lens/bodies.
    @ chocnoodles
    Thankyou so much for your straight forward answer.
    NIKON.
    Thanks I noted.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by wmayeo View Post
    Photo A has more contrast colours. I don't think sharpness is a concern here, because both is sharp. Both photos are in focused (I used the crane as a comparison since the human subjects are in different positions). I do not want to flame anyone, just saying my honest opinion. If you want to do a sharpness test, try to keep it at 100% crop and the subject you can help us to focus on. That will do help for yourself and other forumers to make a proper comparison and better judgment.
    Dear wmayeo,
    Fist thanks for your comment, may I know what do you mean by " keep it at 100% crop", how can I do that or how to acheive that.

    Thanks as I don't quite understanding 100% crop, do you means that I have to say focus at a wording on the crane then crop only the word out to compare instead of looking at the whole photo to comment?

    Thanks and your advise is greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •