Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81

Thread: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

  1. #1

    Default Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Dear All,
    I am confused with the sharpness, as such I hv upload both and hopefully anyone please help to identify for me that which photo is sharper. (Appreciated very much)

    Both are from different camera that.
    Photo A, taken with alpha A55 + 500mm Lens
    Photo B, taken with Nikon D90 + 70 300mm ED VR Lens (copped to match 500mm only)

    Both are straight out from camera without editing.

    Photo A


    Photo B



    Thankyou so much in advance for your help.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    "A" is sharper.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Different lens, different body, different JPEG alrorithms...

    and for sharpness, a 100% crop is better. But to me, just based on your 2 pics (before knowing which is which) I'd say "A" is sharper - I see more details in the dirt, etc.

    But nobody would be able to tell off-hand without some serious pixel-peeping.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    I find that "A" looks sharper too.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    A is sharper. Looking at 2 subjects and comparing - the indian guy with vest and Danger + Keep out sign on the machinery. However, B seemed to be slightly brighter as I cant make out the boot of the operator of the machinery in A.

    Jon

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia->Japan
    Posts
    598

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    IMO I'm going to call photo B as the sharper setup, you magnified B to match A so of course some details will be lost. Secondly A is darker so some details will appear sharper.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

  7. #7
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    I downloaded both pics and zoom in to look, seems pic A is slightly sharper.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Perhaps shooting both at 300mm and posting the 100% crop would be more conclusive, resampling the smaller image to match the larger isn't too fair a comparison.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 10th January 2011 at 06:53 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  9. #9
    Member voxies09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    A is sharper and the color is superb...
    Canon Kiss X4 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II Kit lens | 50mm f1.8

  10. #10
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    It's a close call, just from staring at the 2 images on the screen (no pixel peeping). Image A seems sharper, but the exposure is different so it's really hard to be sure.
    Exploring! :)

  11. #11

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Perhaps shooting both at 300mm and posting the 100% crop would be more conclusive, resampling the smaller image to match the larger isn't too fair a comparison.
    First of all, thanks so much.
    I can't shoot both at 300mm cos the 500mm is fix lens (Mirror Reflex), both cameras are loan to me for a day as I have not decide which to buy and that the reason for me to seek advise.

    Thanks again

  12. #12
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    First of all, thanks so much.
    I can't shoot both at 300mm cos the 500mm is fix lens (Mirror Reflex), both cameras are loan to me for a day as I have not decide which to buy and that the reason for me to seek advise.

    Thanks again
    Hey no worries, seems like you're deciding between the Sony and the Nikon. Sharpness is quite subjective. Some lenses give you better sharpness and there will be differences with different combinations. Follow your heart, just get what you feel you're most comfortable with
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  13. #13

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    If you can't see the difference yourself, then both are the same.

    Like some of my friends can't see the difference of 2 photos taken with a low end p&s and DSLR, it's better for them to use p&s. Just my 2 cents.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Sorry everyone and some senior,

    I do not know how to link FLICKR here, so I have to provide these data for better guide to me.


    Camera D90+70-300 ED VR
    Exposure 1/1000
    Aperture F8
    ISO 1600
    Metering Multi segment
    Focal Length 300mm
    Exposure mode Manual

    Camera A55+ 500mm (MRL)
    Exposure 1/1250
    Aperture F8 (fixed)
    Metering Multi segment
    Focal length 500mm (fixed)
    Exposure mode Manual

    Hope the above id clear and you can guide me better.
    THANK you you so much.
    Last edited by pt657; 10th January 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Error typing

  15. #15

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pchmj View Post
    If you can't see the difference yourself, then both are the same.

    Like some of my friends can't see the difference of 2 photos taken with a low end p&s and DSLR, it's better for them to use p&s. Just my 2 cents.
    Dear friend,
    I am here to bet for help and I suppose you can rather to tell me something that doesn't help, I have tried my best to present.

    I can't see the different and that why asking for help and opinion, if I will do take a P&S vs DSLR, and just do like you say then why am I taking so much trouble to pose it here requesting for help.

    If you don't feel like helping newbies then please be silent rather to say something that not helpful. (Sorry to said that)

  16. #16

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    A is sharper according to my un-trained eyes.

  17. #17
    Member hotwork77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    119'37.70"N 10347'39.19"E
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657 View Post
    Dear friend,
    I am here to bet for help and I suppose you can rather to tell me something that doesn't help, I have tried my best to present.

    I can't see the different and that why asking for help and opinion, if I will do take a P&S vs DSLR, and just do like you say then why am I taking so much trouble to pose it here requesting for help.

    If you don't feel like helping newbies then please be silent rather to say something that not helpful. (Sorry to said that)

    Hi...don't feel offended just because PCHMJ said something that you feel is not helpful. In fact you have taken both pictures using different exposures and different focal length, the comparison is already flawed.

    Taking Pic B and blow up to match Pic A will cause some degradation of image and vice versa. To make an objective comparison, you must use the same lens on both cameras or same camera on both lenses and you would be able to tell the difference if there is any. Reducing the Pic B back to its focal length of 300mm will show its superior optics quality.

    You can't take an apple and compare with an orange and claim that the orange is sweeter.
    Dreamz is the Alternate Realty | Stand Up and Be Counted

  18. #18

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Quote Originally Posted by hotwork77 View Post

    Hi...don't feel offended just because PCHMJ said something that you feel is not helpful. In fact you have taken both pictures using different exposures and different focal length, the comparison is already flawed.

    Taking Pic B and blow up to match Pic A will cause some degradation of image and vice versa. To make an objective comparison, you must use the same lens on both cameras or same camera on both lenses and you would be able to tell the difference if there is any. Reducing the Pic B back to its focal length of 300mm will show its superior optics quality.

    You can't take an apple and compare with an orange and claim that the orange is sweeter.
    Oh I See, but I can't use the same lens on both different body cos one is D90 and the other is a Alpha. Sorry for that.
    Thanks anyway and I've learned.

  19. #19
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pt657

    Oh I See, but I can't use the same lens on both different body cos one is D90 and the other is a Alpha. Sorry for that.
    Thanks anyway and I've learned.
    Well, 70-300 is quite a "standard" focal range. I'm sure Sony makes a lens of that range as well. I notice that for the D90's shot it was 1/1000s shutter speed, whilst on the Sony it was 1/1250. Any reason for this discrepancy?
    Also, ISO speed not stated for the shot taken by Sony.
    Exploring! :)

  20. #20

    Default Re: Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

    Photo B is brighter. Both are sharp. Without looking at the real-life subject, it is difficult to see whether photo A or b resembles the real-life subject more in colour and sharpness.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •