Thread: Handheld Tripod for Taking Own Pictures

Exclamation Handheld Tripod for Taking Own Pictures

So, I'm going alone Europe for 3 months. I am planning on bringing my Sony A300 DSLR camera as well as my Sony T2 compact digital camera in my daypack when visiting those cities.

My concern is that how to take pictures of me with the background of the city. So instead of bringing tripod, I'm considering the extendable/handheld tripod thingy like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

http://www.amazon.com/VidPro-MP-10-V...d_bxgy_p_img_c

http://www.amazon.com/XShot-Pocket-T.../ref=pd_cp_p_1

Anybody know where to get that kind of stuff in Singapore (not so expensive but strong enough for the DSLR).

Thanks!

Default Re: Handheld Tripod for Taking Own Pictures

Hi guys, any advice on my question above?

I have seen people doing that but that was in taiwan last november. Never see pple in sg do that b4 though. Not sure if camera shops might sell them too. And not sure if it can hold a dslr cos it would be rather heavy dont you think so?

Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Is this kind of tool same as monopod?

I never used monopod before, so I wouldn't know about monopod.

i think dslr will be too heavy for this thing.
    You’ve got to push yourself harder.

I have one for my compact camera. It is widely available in Hong Kong for around S$10-15. DSLR will be too heavy as the hand held tripod is made of light weight stuff such as plastic/aluminum. This tripod will be perfect for compacts that has a front LCD screen such as those from Samsung. If not, you have to estimate the angle so as to take in the scene that you want.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

Why not just bring a normal tripod? Chances are you'll need one for night shots

Okay, so probably not strong enough for DSLR. But it should then be strong enough for my digital camera.

I do consider bringing tripod, but I don't think I'm gonna use that often and I have to consider the weight and bulkines to bring around when traveling. Also, if using tripod, there's a good chance someone might run off with it when posing

Hihi,

I actually used that during my 5 weeks in Europe. It would not hold your dslr but I used it with a compact for pics with friends. We loved it and dubbed it the 'magic stick' haha. We didnt need anyone to help us with pictures and because of the extension, more of the backdrop could be included with the picture.

Having said that, its not extremely sturdy. I mentioned the duration because after the trip, the small reflective plate dropped off (by then quite pro at positioning it so didnt really need it).

I would say if you are using it purely to take snaps with someone, its great. We managed to do one pic with 4 people in it. Loved it.

rainfyre, did you use that with a compact digital camera or with a DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by stewartlife
    rainfyre, did you use that with a compact digital camera or with a DSLR?
    Used it with a compact, s90. It will not hold a dslr, besides you basically hold the stick from around waist level and it sticks out. Even if it can take the weight of a dslr, your hand will be pretty tired after the shot.

I just bought a manfrotto 709b and am very pleased with it!

Quote Originally Posted by stewartlife View Post
    So, I'm going alone Europe for 3 months. I am planning on bringing my Sony A300 DSLR camera as well as my Sony T2 compact digital camera in my daypack when visiting those cities.

My concern is that how to take pictures of me with the background of the city. So instead of bringing tripod, I'm considering the extendable/handheld tripod thingy like:.....
    You can try this self portrait camera with two LCD.

http://www.samsung.com/us/photograph...EC-TL225ZBPOUS

I am surprised no one mentioned gorillapod. You can try it.. I use it for night scene when i went Europe.. its small and easy to squeeze into backpack etc.