Thread: Benro tripod center column 'sinks'

Default Benro tripod center column 'sinks'

I have a Benro tripod. It seems that whenever I raise the center column, it will start to sink downwards slowly. I tried to tighten it as much as I can but it didn't help. This happens with a Canon 17-40 lens mounted to a Canon 7D body on it. Is this normal or do I have a defective unit?

Default Re: Benro tripod center column 'sinks'

I don't think it is normal. Your cam plus lens the most weigh 3KG, generally the tripod should support this weight. Is there any warranty left for the tripod? If yes, just bring it in for check and servicing.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7
    I have a Benro tripod. It seems that whenever I raise the center column, it will start to sink downwards slowly. I tried to tighten it as much as I can but it didn't help. This happens with a Canon 17-40 lens mounted to a Canon 7D body on it. Is this normal or do I have a defective unit?
    Doesn't sound right.
    It should easily support the weight of your camera and lens.
    Maybe try removing the center column and see if the clamping mechanism works as it should...?
    My benro has a few metal bits that protrude more and more as I tighten. Not sure abt te design on yours.
    Exploring! :)

Out of warranty. This sure dampens my confidence in China designed products. And it's not even something that high tech. Disappointing.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    Not usual.

It's time to upgrade to a Gitzo tripod =x

Quote Originally Posted by xFamous View Post
    Yes, I agree.

Must spend more money to make sure that your shots are good.

Quote Originally Posted by xFamous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Yes, I agree.

Must spend more money to make sure that your shots are good.
    Yes, time for Gitzo.

Actually thinking about the Manfrotto 055XPROB. One of the things that bothered me about the Benro all along was that it was too short without extending the center column.

Actually thinking about the Manfrotto 055XPROB. One of the things that bothered me about the Benro all along was that it was too short without extending the center column.
    To be fair to benro. They have a range of tripods with different height. They don't just come with one product .

Gitzo is nice to have but at very great price. Perhaps you can bring down to the benro distributor to see how they can help you. It could be a case where the issue can be remedied with some dis assembly and tightening of parts.
    Last edited by Atarandas; 12th January 2011 at 01:05 AM.
    Alpha and Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Atarandas View Post
    To be fair to benro. They have a range of tripods with different height. They don't just come with one product .

Gitzo is nice to have but at very great price. Perhaps you can bring down to the benro distributor to see how they can help you. It could be a case where the issue can be remedied with some dis assembly and tightening of parts.
    Understood. Not blaming Benro for the tripod height, just that I am stuck with the model I bought, something I cannot change. Thanks to all the replies. I was hoping it was just some simple user error on my part that's causing the center column to sink but looks like it's a defective unit. I will keep it around as a spare since it still works with the center column all the way down, but would require me to be in a semi squating position when looking through the viewfinder.

I should add that the unit is out of warranty and I am not in Singapore, so I can't really bring it into the distributor, thanks though, for suggesting.
    Last edited by neech7; 12th January 2011 at 04:15 AM.

Understood. Not blaming Benro for the tripod height, just that I am stuck with the model I bought, something I cannot change. Thanks to all the replies. I was hoping it was just some simple user error on my part that's causing the center column to sink but looks like it's a defective unit. I will keep it around as a spare since it still works with the center column all the way down, but would require me to be in a semi squating position when looking through the viewfinder.

I should add that the unit is out of warranty and I am not in Singapore, so I can't really bring it into the distributor, thanks though, for suggesting.
    Benro is sold in the US of A as well... there should be a distributor there?
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Benro is sold in the US of A as well... there should be a distributor there?
    Here's service info for Benro USA.

Blog Entries

From the sound of it, TS you just need to replace the bushings which are very cheap to replace. Just call the benro Cust serv office in your region.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    From the sound of it, TS you just need to replace the bushings which are very cheap to replace. Just call the benro Cust serv office in your region.
    Exactly...

Thanks for all the info. It just might be easier for me to get the bushings looked at next time I go back to Singapore.