Thread: India, Varanasi... Please advise :)

Default India, Varanasi... Please advise :)

Hi all brothers and sisters...

i am planning to make a 3 weeks trip to Varanasi in June this year... right now i am looking at the possible plans to make it a more fruitful trip... hope to get some advice from those who went there before... listed below are some questions that i need to understand more...

1. How to get there? right now i know that i can get a flight to New Delhi and then take a domestic flight.
    2. Recommended places to stay? looking at a budget to mid-range hotel as i will be most likely staying there for the whole 3 weeks. somewhere nearer to the river will be fantastic...
    3. Possible itineraries? Places of interest and possible areas i can go... hope to be able to see and experience as much as possible

right now that all i can think of... hope i can get some advice from you all...

Cheers
    Banana
    Last edited by BananaDiver; 9th January 2011 at 10:52 AM.
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...

Default Re: India, Varanasi... Please advise :)

any reason for staying at varanasi for three weeks?

i was there in december 09 for only two nights. flew in from khajuraho. stayed at ganpati guesthouse (http://www.ganpatiguesthouse.com/) by the river - cheap and clean (well, by indian standards). besides the boat trip and people watching at dawn and the enchanting evening puja, i can't remember what else i did. also did a half-day trip to sarnath, which i find boring. overall impression of varanasi - dirty and smelly, not to mention the rudest people i encountered in the entire month i spent in india, but the sights and sounds by the river dusk and dawn makes it all worthwhile.

domestic flight can book Spicejet. its pretty decent la.
    One thing about indian airport. Its quite stupid one, u can anyhow go in and out of the terminal. The security will check at the door, they are very strict about it. Once u enter the terminal, u cannot exit until u fly. Very very =_=...

Whole of india: very very dirty. Smelly still alright. I cant find a spot in india which is really clean. cows walking about, dung everywhere.

Food wise: eat only at restaurants, but sometimes restaurants also dangerous, i fell seriously ill after a meal, and really was damn weak for 3 days. And everyday is masala chicken or lamb.. u cant really find pork or beef in india, or any other type of cuisine, which is irritating after a week, u start to miss singapore food...

havent been to varanasi though, so i cant comment on that place.. been to rajasthan and agra.
    Taj is a must visit. Just beware of conman lurking around the compound. i got cheated there. LOL... yea. ALWAYS bargain when u buy things there.

Quote Originally Posted by galacticnick View Post
    any reason for staying at varanasi for three weeks?

i was there in december 09 for only two nights. flew in from khajuraho. stayed at ganpati guesthouse (http://www.ganpatiguesthouse.com/) by the river - cheap and clean (well, by indian standards). besides the boat trip and people watching at dawn and the enchanting evening puja, i can't remember what else i did. also did a half-day trip to sarnath, which i find boring. overall impression of varanasi - dirty and smelly, not to mention the rudest people i encountered in the entire month i spent in india, but the sights and sounds by the river dusk and dawn makes it all worthwhile.
    thanks for the recommendation for the guesthouse... i will look into it...

Quote Originally Posted by yamcake View Post
    domestic flight can book Spicejet. its pretty decent la.
    One thing about indian airport. Its quite stupid one, u can anyhow go in and out of the terminal. The security will check at the door, they are very strict about it. Once u enter the terminal, u cannot exit until u fly. Very very =_=...

Whole of india: very very dirty. Smelly still alright. I cant find a spot in india which is really clean. cows walking about, dung everywhere.

Food wise: eat only at restaurants, but sometimes restaurants also dangerous, i fell seriously ill after a meal, and really was damn weak for 3 days. And everyday is masala chicken or lamb.. u cant really find pork or beef in india, or any other type of cuisine, which is irritating after a week, u start to miss singapore food...

havent been to varanasi though, so i cant comment on that place.. been to rajasthan and agra.
    Taj is a must visit. Just beware of conman lurking around the compound. i got cheated there. LOL... yea. ALWAYS bargain when u buy things there.
    thanks for the advise on conman i will take that into consideration... will look at Spicejet too...
    http://www.yeechaokoh.com/
    What's the use of "depth of field" if there's no "depth of feelings...