Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Interpolation

  1. #1

    Default Interpolation

    Hi..

    Any recommended software that is doing interpolation, so that we can print in bigger size? Thanks

  2. #2

    Lightbulb

    genuine fractals?

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    I use Genuine Fractals as well...
    thanks for the link but can you briefly explain, by using this software, how effective interpolation works in conjunction with enlarged printing?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    anyway I was thinking that interpolation means resizing?
    eg; resize to 200%....

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rainman
    anyway I was thinking that interpolation means resizing?
    eg; resize to 200%....
    You mean just like scanning twice the specified resolution of a film scanner?

    For example, a epson scanner rated at 2400 dpi. If I scan the slide at the so called interpolated 4800 dpi, the image will be enlarged/interpolated for larger size printing???

    If so, is this effective and will the quality be compromised in any or significant way?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgat
    thanks for the link but can you briefly explain, by using this software, how effective interpolation works in conjunction with enlarged printing?
    As I understand it, what the software does is it checks each individual pixel with its adjacent 8 pixels around it and effectively "fills in the blanks" between any two pixels so that it is seamlessly blended during the enlargement. That way, there is no noticeable pixelation in the post processed image. Note that the resultant file sizes are VERY large.

    Edited to add...

    I only use it when I need to enlarge my images to print in A3+ sizes. I don't find any necessity for printing anything up to A4 size prints and I'm only using a D1H for shooting.
    Last edited by SzennyBoy; 16th July 2004 at 04:23 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SzennyBoy
    As I understand it, what the software does is it checks each individual pixel with its adjacent 8 pixels around it and effectively "fills in the blanks" between any two pixels so that it is seamlessly blended during the enlargement. That way, there is no noticeable pixelation in the post processed image. Note that the resultant file sizes are VERY large.

    Edited to add...

    I only use it when I need to enlarge my images to print in A3+ sizes. I don't find any necessity for printing anything up to A4 size prints and I'm only using a D1H for shooting.
    I see, thanks.

    So, does a interpolated scan work the same way too just by "filling in the blanks"?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bgat
    I see, thanks.

    So, does a interpolated scan work the same way too just by "filling in the blanks"?
    I believe so, but different systems/companies will uses interpolation algorithms and that is where you get the difference in the end results. The more "acurate" or powerful the algorithm the longer it takes and the larger the file size for rendering the final output. This is the reason why an interpolated scan take longer than the normal scan.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    184

    Default

    can someone post some pics with the effect of interpolation? i nv seen the effect of interpolation before

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glyuen
    can someone post some pics with the effect of interpolation? i nv seen the effect of interpolation before
    You can try it yourself - just use Photoshop to increase the size of an image using bicubic interpolation. Or if you don't have PS, you can download the free Irfanview.

  12. #12

    Default

    effects of photoshop http://www.jadeit.com.au/jcsworld/war3.html

    Actually, I think Genuine Fractal Pro is quite cool..

    And you can use http://actions.home.att.net/dSLR_Fractal_Sharpen.html plugins for PS that uses Genuine Fractal to sharpen your pictures as well. Quite cool

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •