Thread: World's fastest high capacity CF card

Default World's fastest high capacity CF card

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone plans to buy (or already ordered?) this latest CF from SanDisk...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11...isk128gbcf.asp

It seems like super duper except for the suggested price tag of a whooping USD1499.99
    Life is full of partings - snapshot them while you can & cherish them!

Default Re: World's fastest high capacity CF card

2k for a cf, must really really be extreme oTL||||
    facebook | Kiwira

with an estimated street price of 1.5K... unless u r a pro sports shooter... i dun think anyone will buy
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    with an estimated street price of 1.5K... unless u r a pro sports shooter... i dun think anyone will buy
    Not really, they are targetting a niche market basically anyone who can afford to pay a thousand and above for a memory card. Most likely they are also targetting the Video DSLR so might as well prepare a line for the eventuality of cameras that can do 50Mbps video recording.

Unlike camera bodies, memory cards are more or less a long term item so nothing wrong getting a faster card then what current camera needs.

Will wait for external testing before believe the fastest card marketing hype.
    *2Up to 100 MB/sec write speed; read speed lower. Based on SanDisk internal testing; performance may vary depending upon host device. 1 megabyte = 1 million bytes. X = 150 KB/sec.
    Last edited by Reportage; 9th January 2011 at 10:12 AM.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Blog Entries

give it another year, and the price would drop to wat we see today among the 32GB cards.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

~ 2K sgd for a 128GB, 100MB/s card?

CP is selling 16GB, 60MB/s for < 130 sgd. I would rather get 8 pieces of this for 1040 sgd, as is more economic and I don't like the idea of putting all the eggs in the same basket.
    In term of speed wise, for 1K sgd, I will bear with it as 60MB/s is reasonable speed already.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    give it another year, and the price would drop to wat we see today among the 32GB cards.
    exactly. i might not even see the need for it one yr later. who knows.

ryan

Hi,

This type is more for video lah..... but not talking about those dSLR HD videos. Unless one day you can do 2K uncompressed with 5D III (got use for the prosumer guys? Nope).

Stuff like RED One Mysterium X. 4K video.
    But seriously, they won't be using CF cards. Sone CineAlta 35mm uses their SxS cards.

Or any of those memory recording units using CF cards (you might have seen them VGs using them as real-time simultaneous hybrid recording, backup to DV tape). But then....no need such high transfer rates.

Nobody will be getting for photos at least for the current tech (Can D3S or something utilise such high speed or their CF interface/chips be the bottleneck?)....don't know but sports you don't do RAW in the field unless its like crazy lighting. And even then, the buffer is more than enough (its cheaper anyway LOL!). Don't know, this type you gotta ask Ian or Jed. And wait for independent testing.
    Last edited by 2100; 9th January 2011 at 07:35 PM.

crap... you guys are right... why didn't i think of it being use for video function of DSLR!... haha... still living in yesteryears
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    crap... you guys are right... why didn't i think of it being use for video function of DSLR!... haha... still living in yesteryears
    You don't need such speed for dSLRs video as the codec already takes care of that. In the future, of course anything is possible.....heck even CF become something else also possible. SD card is a bit like....flimsy/low-end, that's why adoption rate not there in that league. But if talking about leagues, then CF not there also.

Anyway, maybe I said something in error previously. There is no way we can do RAW uncompressed for video, coz that is already 1.66 GBps for 720p. And even then 128GB -> PC for prosumer?

Hmm, now I just had an idea that maybe this is a publicity stunt? Just to come up with something outstanding among all others?
    Life is full of partings - snapshot them while you can & cherish them!

Blog Entries

i dont think this is a publicity stunt....

capacity is one thing...... look at the announced speed

this card is great for medium format digital photography eg a Hassy H4D60 image file is about RAW 3FR capture 80 MB on average. TIFF 8 bit: 180 MB

and dedicated HD video work

I dont think they're looking at the DSLR market ...... except maybe FF DSLRs used in sports photography
    Last edited by ed9119; 9th January 2011 at 10:16 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

see whether for the money, they need the speed or the space.

anyway the crown for the most ex flash based card is the Panasonic 64GB A-series P2 supposedly.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    this card is great for medium format digital photography eg a Hassy H4D60 image file is about RAW 3FR capture 80 MB on average. TIFF 8 bit: 180 MB
    You brought up a good example. But again, that is if you get the big buffer to fill up in the first place, plus you can youtube how they do the shoots. The cam captures 0.7fps, or 57MB/s. But of course at this level, $$$ is not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    i dont think this is a publicity stunt....

capacity is one thing...... look at the announced speed

and dedicated HD video work

I dont think they're looking at the DSLR market ...... except maybe FF DSLRs used in sports photography

Dedicated, ONLINE feeds of HD FF 16-22 MP video and other high-speed transfer work ... this would be a true blessing!!!

And even faster transfer speeds, which I suspect would be the 'norm' in a few months.

Sometimes, I work with an original image of 150 - 200MP, before post-processing, and way before keeping TIFF or PSD layers intact!

And that's ONE SINGLE IMAGE.

My reference files on a Hassey looks to be anywhere from 4KB per RAW file, to 40-50MP per picture, and a converted typical, unprocessed PSD file occupies something like 90-100MP

IMAGINE ... if a Hassey could make a full resolution video of say ... even 40MP ... FF video mode!

At the end of the day, it just gets more and more mind-boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Dedicated, ONLINE feeds of HD FF 16-22 MP video and other high-speed transfer work ... this would be a true blessing!!!

And even faster transfer speeds, which I suspect would be the 'norm' in a few months.

Sometimes, I work with an original image of 150 - 200MP, before post-processing, and way before keeping TIFF or PSD layers intact!

And that's ONE SINGLE IMAGE.

My reference files on a Hassey looks to be anywhere from 4KB per RAW file, to 40-50MP per picture, and a converted typical, unprocessed PSD file occupies something like 90-100MP

IMAGINE ... if a Hassey could make a full resolution video of say ... even 40MP ... FF video mode!

At the end of the day, it just gets more and more mind-boggling.
    I'm sorry but I don't get the video part which you are saying. But I don't think it will ever materialise? In motion picture baseline is just 2k, 4k and 8k. And Compact Flash is not the platform.

Manipulating files in the workstation does not really need or be bogged down by CF cards! Well at least USB 3.0 is here.

Its a race between image processors, storage space and access speed. If any one of these aspects are not up on par then we won't see any improvements. On mass production with sufficient demand, any device will get cheaper over time, its a matter of time that the price will drop. The question is "how soon?".
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Probably applicable only to those that buy it because they can.

Overkill...? Y/Y?
    My Flickr
    ~Neko baka