Thread: How to clean the lens filter?

Default How to clean the lens filter?

Hello to everyone.

Is there an article on how to clean a lens filter? I have tried searching the internet and all i found were articles about cleaning the lens but not the filter.

I have a B+W filter with a lot of visible dust. How do you clean this?

Thanks

Default Re: How to clean the lens filter?

clean a filter the same way as lens. personally, i just blow off visible debris, give it a good wipe or lenspen it if a stain got stubborn... let's just say i'm more "careless" when cleaning filter...
    Playing with M43.

Quote Originally Posted by munkyver View Post
    Is there an article on how to clean a lens filter? I have tried searching the internet and all i found were articles about cleaning the lens but not the filter.
    If you treat the filter as one of the elements on your lens, the cleaning process would be the same. Many lenses and filters have coated, if not multicoated surfaces, cleaning procedures would be the same I would take more care cleaning a more expensive filter but I will treat my cheapo UV filters with a good wipe from my cotton T-Shirt
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

lenspen... $10 bucks...

For stubborn strains, I usually breathe on the filter and then wipe it. have not tried a lenspen before. Any bros here can comment on its efficiency?

Lenspen is quite good in removing stains, not stubborn ones though, haven't tried it with those and dun wan to =X but regular changing of lenspen wld be needed since the carbon can be depleted. Also, no moisture shld come into contact with the lenspen for greater efficiency

Blower and lenspen are basic. However, just note that there are lenspen for lens glass, filter and viewfinder. I think CP is selling the combo set for $25.
    You can also get this Kinetronics Outdoor Cleaning kit for $35 (if I remember correctly).

D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

i've used my lenspen for lens on my B+W filter on a stubborn stain, no prob so far.
    cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare

I'm a newbie also when it comes to camera's, just bought a 550D about a month ago. I only have one lens on my cam which have an emolux uv lens protector (dunno if thats a cheapo) it comes with the package when i bought it. I use a 3M LCD cleaning cloth to wipe out dust so far it's ok. (i think)

Quote Originally Posted by Turboredbean View Post
    I'm a newbie also when it comes to camera's, just bought a 550D about a month ago. I only have one lens on my cam which have an emolux uv lens protector (dunno if thats a cheapo) it comes with the package when i bought it. I use a 3M LCD cleaning cloth to wipe out dust so far it's ok. (i think)
    Hi Turboredbean, I would suggest using a blower for the dust or other particles on your filter or lens. You might end up scratching the glass with the cloth. I have not heard about emolux before but just fyi cheapo filters will end up degrading your image quality.

Thanks to all the bros who had provided feedback on the lenspen. Think i will be getting one myself.