Thread: Overseas

Default Overseas

Hello,

I'm going overseas next month and the temperature of one of the countries will hit 10 degrees or so...

I'm bringing my D5000 along. Any tips to prevent damage on the lenses or camera itself?? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by elwaynetan
    Hello,

I'm going overseas next month and the temperature of one of the countries will hit 10 degrees or so...

I'm bringing my D5000 along. Any tips to prevent damage on the lenses or camera itself?? thanks!
    10C shouldn't be a problem... Just try and dehumidify your camera and keep it dry...

Default Re: Overseas

Quote Originally Posted by elwaynetan View Post
    Hello,

1. How do all the camera buyers in russia, Japan, europe, america not damage their camera in cold weather? simple: They don't worry about it and just shoot. Besides, 10C is nothing. I've shot in -25C before. Your camera is not made of tofu. Your camera is designed in Japan. Japan is a cold country. Now apply basic logic...

2. Your camera has a little book called a "manual". It has a section detailing operation temperatures.

3. Learn to use the search. Your question is so common, we even have a sticky:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615253
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. How do all the camera buyers in russia, Japan, europe, america not damage their camera in cold weather? simple: They don't worry about it and just shoot. Besides, 10C is nothing. I've shot in -25C before. Your camera is not made of tofu. Your camera is designed in Japan. Japan is a cold country. Now apply basic logic...

2. Your camera has a little book called a "manual". It has a section detailing operation temperatures.

THat is so, so true.

I have learnt, especially from experience with building and assembling PCs, that the best way to ensure that something does not fail is not simply stop worrying about the possible causes of failure and just use the heck out of it without thinking about consequences.
    Last edited by Etna-sama; 8th January 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Hello,

10 degrees? That's nothing!! We get early mornings here in sunny Melbourne at 5 degrees or lower. Think about how your glasses or mobile phones might be used in that kind of weather, what would you do to protect them? While modern technologies like computers and cameras has a good tolerance for temperature (as stated in their manuals) but still need to watch for humidity, and drastic weather changes (like entering a really cold room from a hot place). You want to prevent moisture from entering your equipments and freezing up. Keep them dry in a bag when you're not using them.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Check the manual (that's the little booklet that was in the box, do you still have it?), there is a section about operational conditions. Now compare these figures with your question. Got it?
    10 degrees is nothing unusual, it's a fresh morning in Spring or Autumn for all moderate climate zones. Ever wondered how so many people can shot countless Winter pictures without destroying their cameras in large quantities?
    Here is the link to sticky thread for all those seasonal worries: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615253
    Last edited by Octarine; 8th January 2011 at 04:16 PM.
    EOS

LOL. sounds like it except that my A33 is made in thailand. haha

the search function is useful. i just used it to find out about polarisers..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Photogenic View Post
    LOL. sounds like it except that my A33 is made in thailand. haha

the search function is useful. i just used it to find out about polarisers..
    "made" and "designed" is different.
    Alpha

Ten degrees is ok, dun worry. Just take care not to bring ur lens to extreme drops in temp, eg from ten degrees to 50 (eg near a radiator), water condensation can encourage fungus growth.

thanks! = ) I will try next time.. Was too overly concerned over it that I did not think about the search function

Sorry guys.

10 degrees is ok bro......enjoy ur trip......
    Nikon D700, N24-70 f2.8, N70-200 f2.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4.

"made" and "designed" is different.
    lol. didnt noticed your mentioned designed. i thought you said made in japan. hehe..
    Alpha
    Want to get back to photography

No worry of 10degC. My friend came back from Harbin just 2 weeks ago, temperature was -30degC there and his D7000 survived in one piece without catching any cold.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

I took these photos today in minus 5 degree weather. With the breeze it felt like minus 10. I took the photos as if I was in Singapore... no special precautions. I had no problems with the camera or the lens.

Canada Geese walking on water:

Canadian Lighthouse to warn ships in the night:

Frozen River in the country northwest of Toronto:

Icicles on the shore of Lake Ontario:

Canada Geese resting in the snow:

hey! the photos r cool...! Looking forward to post some here when im back in march! = )