Thread: Combining social work and your hobbies and if you are a sucker for punishment...

Default Combining social work and your hobbies and if you are a sucker for punishment...

This thread is for those who are keen to help the less fortunate, who don't mind getting dirty, have been to exotic yet poor locations and have a heart to help.

If you are a sucker for punishment, and have a willing heart, the wallet deep enough to help, there are many places and trips or missions you can help in.

EG:

Bangladesh

Dirt crowded streets and dangerous drivers

China

Sandstorms, snow and high altitudes...

Help orphans

Traverse difficult terrain to get there...

Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: Combining social work and your hobbies and if you are a sucker for punishment...

Indonesia

Help people too poor to get their own medical care

Well there is something you can do!

This thread discusses such opportunities to help.

As a trained person:

Medical
    Law
    Accounting
    Engineer
    Physio / Occupational Therapist
    Surgeon

Social work

Or just being the "sai kang" person - we need muscle for such trips.

If you think you are a follower, a tent builder, or someone who wants to give back, pm or post here.

If you know places that need help, share too and connect with like-minded people.
    Nikon D750; FM2; FG; 55mm Micro Nikkor; 28-300 VR; 70-200 VR; Nikon V1 + 10-30mm

Default Re: Combining social work and your hobbies and if you are a sucker for punishment...

Many of us have traveled, taken beautiful pictures of places, where poverty is the way of life, so how about doing something for the people there.

It's cathartic really, what you give in time, effort and money, you get even more back, and when you return, you are more grateful for the things you have, and cherish the good things in life.

You also make friends, and touch lives positively in these places of need.

Some have pm me about trips, and this year its Xi Ning in October.

Do some homework, see if the altitude, the cold bothers you.

I first went there when it was -22 C.... and its no sweat if you know how to keep warm....

Blog Entries

too many times..... when travelling, we shoot shoot shoot without giving anything back ..... to give something back is honorable and makes the circle complete

shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Thanks for the private messages, instead of repeating the answers, let me post some FAQs:

As mentioned, you can be a trained person or just willing to be a coolie.

Trained persons:
    - medical (please state what kind / area of expertise)
    - physio or occupational therapist / psychologist

Professional
    We don't need a specific trade, but imagine this is a military ops, and we need the S1 to S4, for all kinds of logistics. So those good with these are very needed and welcome.

Others

Well there is plenty of need for "foot soldiers and minions". We need hands on the ground to just be porters, carry things or play with kids.
    So teachers, Sunday School staff or even artists who love kids will be useful.

I have already posted the areas we want:
    Kids
    Medical
    Slaves

If you are free in the second week of Oct 2011, and can take a week or more leave, let me know. You can email me more about yourself, what you do etc, then I can share about the trip and if you fit in.

Finally, you must like the whole army thing. I run it like a Commando unit, and having some experience as a brigade officer, it makes such missions run as smoothly as possible, but we want people who have an open "can do" attitude, and those who have roughed it out in the army, will adapt, enjoy and come back for more (my team has been with me for 2-3 trips already).

Cheers

Blog Entries

Hi Peter.... just to clarify.... is this meant as a resource thread to list the various NGOs where volunteers are needed or are you trying to put a group together for a specific or personal volunteer mission ?

I still dont quite understand whats on the table because you started with comments on volunteering and then narrowed down to this year's mission and the type of people needed. thanks !

I am assuming the latter ..... that this is for a specific NGO for a specific mission

Is there a website where we can get more information ?
    Is there a minimum or maximum age limit for volunteers?
    What level of fitness is required of volunteers ?
    Will Female volunteers be considered ?
    Do we need to be religiously inclined in any direction ?(you did mention sunday school)
    Will you accept donations in kind (medicine, medical supplies, clothes, books, stationery etc etc etc) ?
    Do volunteers need to pay their own passage ?

Thanks again
    Last edited by ed9119; 8th January 2011 at 12:20 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Hi Ed
    It's both. I have a trip planned or rather more than one. I take all comers of all faiths so long as they wish to so good. But I think since it's led by me I rather speak to interested people privately.

At the same time this thread allows others to share other potential trips resources etc. Many photographers are seasoned travelers and can share tips and info too. Eg tickets contacts of drivers etc.

Age sex and race are not as important as the spirit to help and follow instructions.

Also if others have ideas and other such intiatives they can post here too!

Helping others and traveling is fun, useful and beneficial

I know some other organisations, but essentially this trip in Oct 2011 is my idea and my team.....

So to answer Ed's questions:

Is there a website where we can get more information ?
    - No, its my idea.

Is there a minimum or maximum age limit for volunteers?
    - well essentially if you can cope with the conditions, no. But that's why I need you to read up on Xi Ning, Yu Shu the altitude, the toilets, the poverty etc...

What level of fitness is required of volunteers ?

We work in the city so so long as you can cope with about 3500m, you will be fine.

Will Female volunteers be considered ?

Sure, they will be good for the orphanage, esp if they like kids.

Do we need to be religiously inclined in any direction ? (you did mention Sunday school)

I work for my boss (Christ), but I welcome people from all denominations, religions. All comers.

Will you accept donations in kind (medicine, medical supplies, clothes, books, stationery etc etc etc) ?

Yes, I will share more info, financial support is welcome, but its not a charity organisation, so whoever gives, needs to be comfortable that it goes to me and I decide how it is spent.

My friends, and those in the Rotary club have helped me before.

In fact my friend helped me raise 100k to build them a primary school.

Books etc are nice, but its the shipping that kills. So my friends in China rather take the money, then buy the material there, because its so much cheaper.

Med supplies - ah now this is interesting, if anyone is selling this, or can get things used in surgery cheap (gauze, bandages, gloves etc), we want to know you... and donations in this are of course welcome.

Bear in mind: NO expired stuff.

Do volunteers need to pay their own passage ?

Yes, all board, fare, hotels, meals etc. You can get an idea by searching for airfares. Hotels are about 150 RMB per room per night.

Meals are cheap.

*** if anyone is in the travel business, and can get cheap air tickets, thats great

We fly into Kunming, then to Xi Ning - some may ask, why not Beijing? Well, we have > 150kg of equipment, so its less conspicuous and I have done this via KMG, no issues. If we get taxed or some funny business, then we may get stuck.

Just to share, we were supposed to fly in 2009, then the Xin Jiang riots broke out, and people were using syringes to stab one another, and we were carrying loads of needles, syringes etc, so I thank Him for the smooth transit.

I had someone carry all of the these items, so that if he gets stopped, he gets left behind, and we try and source for them over there.