Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Risks Street Photographers Take

Default Re: The Risks Street Photographers Take

Locally I've had a bottle of rice wine thrown at me, thank god for my cat like reflexes, ducked & bottle few over my head.

Lately in Hanoi, I got surrounded by 4-6 communist policemen
    as you can see, they weren't really happy boys

I'm one of those guilty people of being highly intrusive. You can see from this picture how close I get when I shoot

Not only do I get near, like in this reflection, still kneel down to get a better picture

Quote Originally Posted by Royale With Cheese View Post
    Uh-oh... I smells trouble Especially the policeman on the left...

That's really impressive for you to go so near to your subject O_O
    また再建しましょう~ ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    The most dangerous/embarassing encounter for me is when I took a shot of this burly dude inside the train. I used a 10-20mm on him. He got so pissed that he kicked me on the foot just before he got off. It didn't hurt, but what did was the faint whispers and snickers of other commuters. I was so humiliated I got off the next stop (Serangoon MRT) and just took the next train straight to my destination (Sengkang).

Here's Mr. Personality:

Moral lesson: There's bold and there's TOO bold. Don't be the latter because it might kill you.
    This photo screams "wanted"! Pretty bold to post a picture of someone you had an alteration with and hope it doesn't get any worst!
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by PaulKami View Post
    Uh-oh... I smells trouble Especially the policeman on the left...

That's really impressive for you to go so near to your subject O_O
    Yea, got stopped by these guys & more policemen came out from the police station to confront me! haha!

Apparently, I didnt learn my lesson, headed to ho chi minh mausoleum after getting confronted & took pictures of policemen playing with iPhone

Yep, I get pretty near. Using 35mm on full frame. My camera doesnt have zoom

Yea, got stopped by these guys & more policemen came out from the police station to confront me! haha!

Apparently, I didnt learn my lesson, headed to ho chi minh mausoleum after getting confronted & took pictures of policemen playing with iPhone

Yep, I get pretty near. Using 35mm on full frame. My camera doesnt have zoom
    Steady! But for good photos... up sword hills, down hot oily pans also must!

Not only do I get near, like in this reflection, still kneel down to get a better picture
    That's not very close actually

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    That's not very close actually
    ??

how close is close?

I think I was only 1.5meters away. The reflection makes me seem further I guess.

Any nearer, I cant get a clear picture. My 50 year old lens focus down to 1 meter only

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    The most dangerous/embarassing encounter for me is when I took a shot of this burly dude inside the train. I used a 10-20mm on him. He got so pissed that he kicked me on the foot just before he got off. It didn't hurt, but what did was the faint whispers and snickers of other commuters. I was so humiliated I got off the next stop (Serangoon MRT) and just took the next train straight to my destination (Sengkang).
    Here's Mr. Personality:

Moral lesson: There's bold and there's TOO bold. Don't be the latter because it might kill you.
    lol amazing shot haha though i hafta agree it looks like a "wanted" poster or something hahaha tho a great pic for a small kick seems like a good settle haha jkjk lol

Locally I've had a bottle of rice wine thrown at me, thank god for my cat like reflexes, ducked & bottle few over my head.

wow toiled but def nt in vain (: cool pics haha did all the policemen in the pic go after you?

??

how close is close?

I think I was only 1.5meters away. The reflection makes me seem further I guess.

Any nearer, I cant get a clear picture. My 50 year old lens focus down to 1 meter only
    There are good street photographs that were taken with FE. Post them up sometime. Just saying, it's all relative.

Close or not, is not important. What's important is the concept and the idea behind the street photograph. If you can somehow make it all fall into place.. Close, far, sharp, unsharp, who the hell cares.

Just the other day I was trying to get a pic of ppl fishing WW. Over there u can fish but cannot use bait. So when I whip out my camera, some started to leave and their face like si beh unhappy. So I saw this uncle quickly ride his bicycle gg past me, so I took a snap of him cycling. after that he not happy and show his hand like "Wth?!" many times. I just make myself look dumb and he sped off. lol
    My Flickr iownthislensthatlensthislensthatlens

Quote Originally Posted by ricsal View Post
    Just the other day I was trying to get a pic of ppl fishing WW. Over there u can fish but cannot use bait. So when I whip out my camera, some started to leave and their face like si beh unhappy. So I saw this uncle quickly ride his bicycle gg past me, so I took a snap of him cycling. after that he not happy and show his hand like "Wth?!" many times. I just make myself look dumb and he sped off. lol
    something like this?

There are good street photographs that were taken with FE. Post them up sometime. Just saying, it's all relative.

Close or not, is not important. What's important is the concept and the idea behind the street photograph. If you can somehow make it all fall into place.. Close, far, sharp, unsharp, who the hell cares.
    yep yep, agree on that..

Er.... btw, what is FE ah?

yep yep, agree on that..

Er.... btw, what is FE ah?
    fish eye?

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    fish eye?
    Ohhh..... hehee..

Sorry sorry, kinda noob in that

Blog Entries

something like this?

something like this?

Is that...Wah Yuen?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

if you are shooting upclose, be prepared to get stared, scolded, chased away

Very well said

Personally I think it's rude to stick a camera in someone's face and take their photo even though you knew clearly they are uncomfortable with it. i know photography is an intrusive medium. But then, there's a fine line between being bold and being rude.

Quote Originally Posted by idi0tekue View Post
    if you are shooting upclose, be prepared to get stared, scolded, chased away
    Sometimes if too close and get stared at sharply, just ask and speak nicely. If they refused, walk away. If already taken and they insist on grabbing your gear, just delete that shot in front of them in order not to offend further.

watch "a day with Jay maisel"

Quite interesting and probably may get some tips.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast