Thread: A light travel tripod for 12-day trip to Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Regensberg etc

Default A light travel tripod for 12-day trip to Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Regensberg etc

Any suggestions?
    lightness and price are the most important criteria as i plan my own trip, so i'll be walking and traveling by public transport.

heaviest setup will only be pentax kx + sigma 8-16

feel free to give any inputs.
    thanks!

Default Re: A light travel tripod for 12-day trip to Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Regensberg et

How about this

The SLIK Sprint Pro 3 Way, quite easy to carry. You might want to consider getting a ballhead if you dun like the pan tilt.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Default Re: A light travel tripod for 12-day trip to Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Regensberg et

how much is the price and where can it get a feel of it?
    thanks!

btw, i always have a 3-way head on a heavy tripod, would much prefer a ballhead for the ease of use

I bought a Slik Pro714CF II awhile back for $280. Not sure if it's still on sale or what the price is now but I love it! It's carbon fiber and light.

I blogged about it here: www.photographybyeulee.com/blog/a-slick-slik

el.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    thanks!

btw, i always have a 3-way head on a heavy tripod, would much prefer a ballhead for the ease of use
    If I remembered correctly it should be in the region of about SGD$200 or less. I can't be too sure, best to check with the shops since I might have remembered wrongly.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

I have been to a number of places outside of Singapore and am very much a wide angle landscape shooter 80% of the time (18-55mm) or (70-300mm). The only tripod I carry all these years is my gorilla pod. You will be surprise how many steady and sharp shot including long exposures night scenes I have shot using just this gorilla pod when I am not hand holding for the shot even in snowy day and night.

And many places I shoot, not hard to find some post or fence or any structure to secure it and shoot if I need to shoot long exposures of 1/10. And I don't even use VR. Granted at times it can be challenging but the pros and cons... I can live with it as I am seldom faced with a situation I never get the shot I want.
    Last edited by sammy888; 7th January 2011 at 01:52 AM.

which size of gorillapod do u use?

I have a Benro C0190T tripod with B-00 ballhead. Total weight is 0.91kg. Very light and flat when folded. Extends to slightly over 1.6m and folds down to 46cm. You can check it out at Ben Photos at $498.

Quote Originally Posted by oceantoofar View Post
    I have a Benro C0190T tripod with B-00 ballhead. Total weight is 0.91kg. Very light and flat when folded. Extends to slightly over 1.6m and folds down to 46cm. You can check it out at Ben Photos at $498.
    wah.. that price makes me a sad guy....

Same as Sammy888, I found GorillaPod sometimes quite convinient for light travel.
    I use SLR-zoom gorillapod (http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/) for my Taiwan trip and found it's more useful than normal tripod, especially shen you shot from difficult terain such as unbalance and narrow river bank.
    And this gorillapod can sustain Canon 40D with 24-205mm lens, so it's enough for me.

The only drawback is that using gorillapod sometimes you can't shot from eye level if there's no railings

Quote Originally Posted by campoes
    Same as Sammy888, I found GorillaPod sometimes quite convinient for light travel.
    I use SLR-zoom gorillapod (http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom/) for my Taiwan trip and found it's more useful than normal tripod, especially shen you shot from difficult terain such as unbalance and narrow river bank.
    And this gorillapod can sustain Canon 40D with 24-205mm lens, so it's enough for me.

The only drawback is that using gorillapod sometimes you can't shot from eye level if there's no railings
    Hi campoes,
    May I know where did you get it and how much? Thanks.
    "Seeing the light......."
    my flickr

Where do you tie the gorilla pod to when there is no pole or anything in the angle and location you are planning to shoot? I once had someone asking me if he can tie his gorilla pod to my tripod leg before a firework shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post
    Where do you tie the gorilla pod to when there is no pole or anything in the angle and location you are planning to shoot? I once had someone asking me if he can tie his gorilla pod to my tripod leg before a firework shoot...
    damn this is funny! if is me i will be stun for a while and dunno how to ans... lol
    Playing with M43.

http://www.zipshottripod.com/product.cfm

It will handle a maximum of 1.4 kg but I believe even if your camera is only 500g and you are doing a long-exposure, your photo will be blur.

CHECK out Sirui tripod too, they are really valuable for money.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    thanks!

You can try at Cathay. I recently bought this at $152. Like it cause it is like.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox View Post
    http://www.zipshottripod.com/product.cfm

It will handle a maximum of 1.4 kg but I believe even if your camera is only 500g and you are doing a long-exposure, your photo will be blur.

CHECK out Sirui tripod too, they are really valuable for money.
    where to get this zipshot from?

I had used the Slik Sprint Pro with a ballhead before.

It opens up rather tall, but may vibrate in strong wind.

I subsequently switch to a benro travel angel C068.

It's not as tall, but it's more sturdy and it folds up to 30cm in transport mode.

Benro you can go to Excelsor shopping Center to check it up.

Slik, Cathay or TK Photo at Pennisular/Funan

Quote Originally Posted by KurtSin View Post
    I had used the Slik Sprint Pro with a ballhead before.

It opens up rather tall, but may vibrate in strong wind.

I subsequently switch to a benro travel angel C068.

It's not as tall, but it's more sturdy and it folds up to 30cm in transport mode.

Benro you can go to Excelsor shopping Center to check it up.

Slik, Cathay or TK Photo at Pennisular/Funan
    wats the combo do u use for travelling?

How about Sirui T-1004X/T1005X with a light G-10?

It handled my D90 and 18-105 (as well as an old Tok 28-210) very well (:
    Nikon D90 | Flickr