Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [ Override2Zion ] HYPERFOCAL DISTANCE Table Generator

Default Re: [ Override2Zion ] HYPERFOCAL DISTANCE Table Generator

Thank for clearing my doubt.

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing. There are also mobile phone apps that can do the calculation for you. And you can also do some estimation of deep dof as well. It is mentioned in this article with some examples:
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/...nto-focus.html

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. There are also mobile phone apps that can do the calculation for you. And you can also do some estimation of deep dof as well. It is mentioned in this article with some examples:
    http://darthbertz.blogspot.com/2010/...nto-focus.html
    Welcome bro. Thanks for sharing the detailed explaination for hyperfocal distances. I am sure many will benefit from the effort
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion

Welcome bro. Thanks for sharing the detailed explaination for hyperfocal distances. I am sure many will benefit from the effort
    We are all here to learn from each other. For iPhone, I find photo buddy extremely useful. You can try it out if you are using iPhone.

It seems that everytime i manual focus @ infinity (Camera set to "manual focus", Len set to "manual focus"), it always give the sharpest picture.
    Wondering is this the correct way?

If it's the case, dun even need all this table? (Sorry, if i dun sound logic)
    Kinda lost.
    Last edited by Kopred; 17th January 2011 at 04:39 PM.
    Nikon D90: 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kopred
    It seems that everytime i manual focus @ infinity (Camera set to "manual focus", Len set to "manual focus"), it always give the sharpest picture.

Kinda lost.
    If you have a foreground element that is quite close, you will not be able to get it in focus if you focus on infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopred View Post

Kinda lost.
    photographing distant objects only?

If you see the distance scale on your lens, there should be markings for focusing distance. Usually for a lens like your 16-85, they probably go from 0.__m till about 3 or 4m, then the next marking is probably infinity.
    So basically as long as your subject is more than about 4m from you, you'll be focusing at or very close to infinity to get him/her/it in focus
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    If you have a foreground element that is quite close, you will not be able to get it in focus if you focus on infinity.
    I think this is the best explaination, short and simple

Thanks all for the explanation. More or less get the idea.
    Nikon D90: 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion

I have a a question: many lens have a sparingly marked out focus distance dial whose scale is non linear. So let's say my lens have markings for .2, .5, 1, 4, 20, infinity. Suppose my iPhone DOF calculator says " hyper focal distance at your preferred setting is 2.04m. How to get that distance spot one from the dial?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    I have a a question: many lens have a sparingly marked out focus distance dial whose scale is non linear. So let's say my lens have markings for .2, .5, 1, 4, 20, infinity. Suppose my iPhone DOF calculator says " hyper focal distance at your preferred setting is 2.04m. How to get that distance spot one from the dial?
    If your focus distance is greater than the hyperfocal distance, all is good unless you have a subject that is around half the hyperfocal distance away from you.

In your example the focusing distance was calculated to be 2.04m, meaning anything from 1.02m till infinity would be in focus.
    If you play safe a little, you can focus to say... 2.5m, meaning objects from about 1.25m till infinity will be in focus.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    If you play safe a little, you can focus to say... 2.5m, meaning objects from about 1.25m till infinity will be in focus.
    Yes UncleFai, its a game of estimation unless you have a pocket rangefinder with you. Usually what I would do is to use the pocket rangefinder to find some object at the distance where focus is desired and use it as my focus point. There is no way to get a spot on adjustment by just looking at the scale, its more or less an estimation.

Very nice of you to give back to our little community. Respect bro. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    Very nice of you to give back to our little community. Respect bro. Keep it up!
    Thanks my friend

Hi Override2Zion,
    Hmmm, would like to ask on how to know the CoC of the kit I have. For instance, a D90 with a 35mm f1.8 lens. Noob guy here :S

thanks for sharing, and its such a great work.

alternatively, you can also use iPhone apps like "Field Tools", "iDof Calculator" are pretty handy, while you're on the set.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

Hi, just a question to clear my doubt. I got a 24mm prime using on my D700. I know that at F11, my hyperfocal distance is roughly at 1.8m. So if I manually set my focus distance scale at 1.8m, does it mean that I will get acceptable sharpness from 0.9m to infinity?

Quote Originally Posted by njchay View Post
    Hi, just a question to clear my doubt. I got a 24mm prime using on my D700. I know that at F11, my hyperfocal distance is roughly at 1.8m. So if I manually set my focus distance scale at 1.8m, does it mean that I will get acceptable sharpness from 0.9m to infinity?
    Yes, your interpretation is correct. So make sure your foreground details fall within the 0.9m to infinity range to keep them decently in sharp on the final image.

Thanks man. This thread benefits me a lot.

Focusing to infinity is shaper and more accurate than focusing in the foreground because of minimum focusing distance of the lens. Aperture focusing and shooting aperture are two factors to consider when aiming your camera at the objects in landscape photrography.
    Last edited by henry soh; 19th January 2011 at 03:06 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast