Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: By the Sea

  1. #1

    Default By the Sea



    1. In what area is critique to be sought?
    I would hope that you guys help me with composition, lighting, or in every way possible in correcting this photo.

    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show the peace and serenity of the figure in the pavilion

    3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
    During a tour trip I had in Taiwan. Was at the coast and I thought the pavillion and sea would look great.

    4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    This picture remind me of how lost a person could be from the figure sitting in the pavillion.
    Last edited by knoxknocks; 5th January 2011 at 08:09 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: By the Sea

    1. exposure looks ok. Probably might want to try to ev-0.3 or -0.7 for more colour saturation in the sky.

    2. I want to show the peace and serenity of the figure in the pavilion
    3. This picture remind me of how lost a person could be from the figure sitting in the pavillion.
    don't think I see any of the above mentioned. The figure is kinda partially hidden inside the pavillion. What you have mentioned may work if all the wooden railings aren't there.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

  3. #3
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,522

    Default Re: By the Sea

    it's a pretty nice picture, but it doesn't convey to me what your intended message about the peace and serenity of the person. The subject is pretty much hidden away.
    Perhaps right up behind the subject might convey the message better.

    The blues look a bit pale. Perhaps bring down the overall exposure a bit and boost the saturation of the blues... Just a thought...
    Exploring! :)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: By the Sea

    The exposure is ok but could be a little less since the foreground is kinda bright. The composition can be improved, in this image its unbalanced, with the pavilion occupying half the frame and the other side being empty space. The person sitting in the pavilion is kinda lost as the viewer's attention is diverted more to the wooden starcase. Keep shooting
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  5. #5

    Default Re: By the Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    1. exposure looks ok. Probably might want to try to ev-0.3 or -0.7 for more colour saturation in the sky.

    don't think I see any of the above mentioned. The figure is kinda partially hidden inside the pavillion. What you have mentioned may work if all the wooden railings aren't there.
    ev as in exposure compensation? I'm still kinda noob on that, can you explain more about it! Thanks in advance!


    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    it's a pretty nice picture, but it doesn't convey to me what your intended message about the peace and serenity of the person. The subject is pretty much hidden away.
    Perhaps right up behind the subject might convey the message better.

    I actually didn't think much about my writeup when I write it. Will think up of a better writeup next time before posting in critiques, thanks!

    The blues look a bit pale. Perhaps bring down the overall exposure a bit and boost the saturation of the blues... Just a thought...
    what do you mean like bring down the exposure, and how do i boost the saturation. Thanks for your comments!

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    The exposure is ok but could be a little less since the foreground is kinda bright. The composition can be improved, in this image its unbalanced, with the pavilion occupying half the frame and the other side being empty space. The person sitting in the pavilion is kinda lost as the viewer's attention is diverted more to the wooden starcase. Keep shooting
    How can I improve my composition? The empty space was meant for the sea and scenery! Looking forward to lean from you! Thanks!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: By the Sea

    Quote Originally Posted by laser434 View Post
    How can I improve my composition? The empty space was meant for the sea and scenery! Looking forward to lean from you! Thanks!
    In this case, the pavilion was taking away all the attention, followed by the scenery and lastly the lady.

    Quote Originally Posted by laser434 View Post
    2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    I want to show the peace and serenity of the figure in the pavilion
    Since your objective is to show the peace and serenity of the figure in the pavilion, I would have suggest that you move into the pavilion itself and fill the frame with more of the subject from behind against the full view of the scenery. This is similar to what ZerocoolAstra mentioned earlier in his post.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    ...Perhaps right up behind the subject might convey the message better...
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 7th January 2011 at 01:00 AM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  7. #7

    Default Re: By the Sea

    Great attempt!
    Would've preferred a photo without a person in there (personal preference). ^^

  8. #8

    Default Re: By the Sea

    so nice pic,where it is?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: By the Sea

    Since your objective is to show the peace and serenity of the figure in the pavilion, I would have suggest that you move into the pavilion itself and fill the frame with more of the subject from behind against the full view of the scenery. This is similar to what ZerocoolAstra mentioned earlier in his post.[/QUOTE]


    Cant agree more. Silhouette/shadows can signify either serenity or loneliness. No subject would show serenity, and having a subject or a person can represent loneliness. Taking the pic inside the pavilion would allow the shadow to "engulf' the background scenery to depict loneliness.

    It would be ideal if the background is just only the blue sky and the sea with no landscape, stretching into infinity. This would show that the subject is alone in this vast space with no seemingly end....

    Just some thoughts...thanks.

    Jon

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •