Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HKers rated as among world's racist people?

Default Re: HKers rated as among world's racist people?

From what I hear some HKers are not as tolerant as others when it comes to foreigners, think "aunties complaining", but when it comes to international aid they are among the first to help.

The newspaper that did this survey (Globe and Mail) is Canada's national newspaper.... coincidence? Hmmm....
    Look at the wallpaper of that page!
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

I work with some Hong Kong peeps in my office. Some are really friendly and nice. But they are quite materialistic and they gossip a lot!
    At the end of the dae, there are always crowns in every race. But it's surprise to see Sweden as the least racist!

Quote Originally Posted by shaoken View Post
    Agree.. My friend is a HK citizen/SG PR.
    Racists?? Don't think so..
    In HK there are also Indians and quite a bit of ang moh working there leh..
    Ang mohs (as usual ) get preferential treatment.

Dark-skinned ppl: not so much.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100342049.html

But you get bad eggs in every race, and everyone is a little racist deep inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Ang mohs (as usual ) get preferential treatment.

Dark-skinned ppl: not so much.

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100342049.html

But you get bad eggs in every race, and everyone is a little racist deep inside.
    Excuse me for my bad ignorance, but what is an "ang moh"?

You you are very right.... there are bad eggs in every race. Even though Canada is second in race tolerance, there are some bad apples that are full of hate. We like to think that the world is "developed" but with hatred like this, the world is far from civilized.

Ang mo refers to caucasians. A term commonly used in singapore.

I think as the society demographics starts to change due to the influx of immigrants, the locals will inevitably begin to feel threatened. The defense mechanism is most often racist remarks and behaviors. Certainly this is something affecting Singapore now.
    There is no life without fast cars....

Quote Originally Posted by holeinone View Post

I think as the society demographics starts to change due to the influx of immigrants, the locals will inevitably begin to feel threatened. The defense mechanism is most often racist remarks and behaviors. Certainly this is something affecting Singapore now.
    By and large I would agree with you. However, this has not happened in Canada which has accepted millions of immigrants in the past 30 years. In fact Toronto, which once had a predominantly "white" population, now has more "visible minorities" than caucasians.

I am confident that what is affecting Singapore is very much in the minority as I see Singapore as a very tolerant city.

Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post
    By and large I would agree with you. However, this has not happened in Canada which has accepted millions of immigrants in the past 30 years. In fact Toronto, which once had a predominantly "white" population, now has more "visible minorities" than caucasians.

I am confident that what is affecting Singapore is very much in the minority as I see Singapore as a very tolerant city.
    In SG (and to some extent MY) we've lived with other races for hundreds of years so we've somehow figured out a way to co-exist rather than perish.

I stayed in Arizona few years back when the debate over illegal immigrants and "minority-majority" (where non-whites outnumber whites) got really heated. It was weird seeing so much hate being spouted out by whites who were terrified of becoming a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by holeinone View Post

What about African or other Asian people? Aren't they Angmos as well?

I thought white people were referred to as "gwhy-lows"?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by MRSAMO View Post

You're not from around here are you?
    Ang mo => white (hokkien)
    guai lo => white (canto)

Really?

They called my sister Guai lo but that was in China *shrugs*

So what about coloured people?
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    In SG (and to some extent MY) we've lived with other races for hundreds of years so we've somehow figured out a way to co-exist rather than perish.
    I didn't know SG was hundreds of years, I always thought it was part of Malaysia.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

Really?

They called my sister Guai lo but that was in China *shrugs*

So what about coloured people?
    She should have been called a "guai po". You were in the Canto-speaking region of China I guess.
    There's a lot of terms for colored people, some rather derogatory.

I didn't know SG was hundreds of years, I always thought it was part of Malaysia.
    I meant SG as a place (not an independent nation) way back to the colonial times and even before that.

It looks to me, the Globe and Mail survey, was stacked.

HK is not the friendliest place, but I dont think it is any worst than most big city in Asia.

I have been to many cities that are far worst than HK. Comparing HK and Canada or Sweden is flawed to start with. One is more a citystate, while the other 2 are large countries with a very big rural component to their demographics.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I once watched a documentary and according to it, HK ppl generally distrust ppl who dun speak Cantonese, even main land Chinese. I dun think they are racist but rather prefer ppl who speak cantonese.

Don't worry. We have to take the accuracy of the chart with a pinch of salt.

In this case, perhaps a bucket of salt.

It is very subjective and unscientific survey.

Quote Originally Posted by afbug View Post
    I once watched a documentary and according to it, HK ppl generally distrust ppl who dun speak Cantonese, even main land Chinese. I dun think they are racist but rather prefer ppl who speak cantonese.
    But I've heard they're polite towards Japanese.
    Enlighten me...
    [Uluru]

^HK'ers distrust and dislike Mainlanders because they're now connected to China and the Mainlanders can come flooding across their borders rampaging through their nice city. Because of this HK'ers are afraid that they'll slowly get absorbed by Big Red and slowly lose their local flavor. Not sure if they're polite to Japanese or not but maybe you're thinking of Taiwan where they still idolize all things Japanese. Taiwan used to be a Japanese colony.

Anyway I don't know if I can trust that first graph. If you ever visit HK you will see it has more diverse set of foreigners there than any other East Asian city at least that I've noticed.
    Last edited by sayjaibow; 14th January 2011 at 05:05 PM.

hongkies(cantonese) always said :

hong mou guai( red hair ghost) = white people
    guai lou( male ghost)= white male
    guai po ( female ghost) = white female

sometime when they see white people coming, they will shout "ghost come already" or "yao guai ah"

but hokkien is different.

ang mo gao = red hair monkey.
    Last edited by ninelives; 15th January 2011 at 03:54 PM.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayjaibow View Post
    Not sure if they're polite to Japanese or not but maybe you're thinking of Taiwan where they still idolize all things Japanese. Taiwan used to be a Japanese colony.
    Taiwan used to be just an island before the defeated kuomintang party fled there from mainland china, and ended up building their own country. To this day they want to be independent, but china is strongly against this, and will use force if necessary to bring it back under their control.

As for fascination with japanese stuff, it's not only taiwan, a lot of countries in asia are fascinated with japan. I guess people just like their culture, the things that they produce, food, etc. They produce among the best camera equipment in the world . But then, perhaps only china may not like them that much..

Quote Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
    Taiwan used to be just an island before the defeated kuomintang party fled there from mainland china, and ended up building their own country. To this day they want to be independent, but china is strongly against this, and will use force if necessary to bring it back under their control.

As for fascination with japanese stuff, it's not only taiwan, a lot of countries in asia are fascinated with japan. I guess people just like their culture, the things that they produce, food, etc. They produce among the best camera equipment in the world . But then, perhaps only china may not like them that much..
    Taiwan did used to be a Japanese colony (and before that Dutch, and an independent kingdom for a short while), and the Taiwanese still hold their former colonial masters in high regard.

Thought now everyone wants to be Korean?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast