Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Knife collectors

  1. #1

    Default Knife collectors

    Hi

    Anybody collects knives? Would like to start collecting, where is cheap and good ya?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Kitchen knives?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    erm.. survival knives, tactical knives... that sort?

  4. #4
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    I got 3 katanas ( one long, one medium, one short)
    1 twin katana (2 kanata in 1 scabbard.)
    1 Spear, can detach into 4 pieces
    1 Qing Dynasty Sword
    1 Han Dynasty Sword
    and my lastest collection is 雪饮狂刀。

  5. #5
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    erm.. survival knives, tactical knives... that sort?
    Peninsular Shopping Complex, think is 2nd floor or 3rd floor. A shop selling U.S Army surplus as well as U.S army knives types.

    Got one more... i forgot the name.. it is along Middle Road towards Little India. Will let you know once i confirmed its address.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  6. #6
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    I got 3 katanas ( one long, one medium, one short)
    1 twin katana (2 kanata in 1 scabbard.)
    1 Spear, can detach into 4 pieces
    1 Qing Dynasty Sword
    1 Han Dynasty Sword
    and my lastest collection is 雪饮狂刀。
    Err... are they practical?

    Mine is an iaito.. for iaido
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  7. #7
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Err... are they practical?

    Mine is an iaito.. for iaido
    eh... no leh...

  8. #8
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by chillicutter View Post
    I got 3 katanas ( one long, one medium, one short)
    1 twin katana (2 kanata in 1 scabbard.)
    1 Spear, can detach into 4 pieces
    1 Qing Dynasty Sword
    1 Han Dynasty Sword
    and my lastest collection is 雪饮狂刀。

    I only have:
    1 long and 1 short Jap swords
    1 Ming dynasty 上方宝剑
    1 tribe (dunno what tribe) short knife
    Plenty of 菜刀s
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  9. #9
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Pay Sheares Technologies a visit near Selegie road, wide collection of knives you are looking for, from army equipments to knives.
    I got my current SOG Navy Seal knife from them too.

  10. #10
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Peninsular Shopping Complex, think is 2nd floor or 3rd floor. A shop selling U.S Army surplus as well as U.S army knives types.

    Got one more... i forgot the name.. it is along Middle Road towards Little India. Will let you know once i confirmed its address.
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    Pay Sheares Technologies a visit near Selegie road, wide collection of knives you are looking for, from army equipments to knives.
    I got my current SOG Navy Seal knife from them too.

    Ah... YES.. luna_sea83 got the shop i was talking about

    They are good, i also recommend you to visit them.

    Their website and address @ http://www.sheares.com/
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 5th January 2011 at 07:27 PM.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  11. #11
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    Hi

    Anybody collects knives? Would like to start collecting, where is cheap and good ya?

    Thanks.
    Sorry happyfrog...... cheap and good in knife-collecting are words that do not go together in the same sentence

    However, there are PLENTY of value for money knives (and in knives there is NO shortcut..... you almost literally always get what you pay for) mostly machine made/finished .... unless you buy a keeper by chance in a flea market from an ignorant seller


    -------------------

    I know my comments on knife collecting will be biased..... but my serious advise is ......dont waste time collecting replicas (mostly near-zero performance and for display only)

    But having said that I must say that Sheares and a couple of places do sell VERY GOOD practical camping/outdoor/tactical knives which are decently priced .... these are all meant to be USED..... not for collecting

    i much prefer collecting small-batch quality knives ... ALOT more collectible value in them

    Have a few West German Puma White Hunters
    a dozen or so Buck folding pocket knives from the 60s
    a couple of handmade Bowie's
    a few handmade skinning/dressing knives (these are SCARY)
    Knives with rare-wood, bone, horn handles
    early Victorinox folders
    even kitchen knives ; mostly 6 and 9 inchers (the GOOD ones)


    U have to appreciate the art of knife-making and steel forging

    Surprisingly, SOME China factories turn out VERY good knives too .... not cheap.

    NOW, the art of knife-sharpening...... thats a different hobby altogether...... will make lens-cleaning look like kids-play LOL

    p/s it aint the real thang if it aint full tang ..... so the saying goes among the serious knife buyers

    pp/s I have the above only because I cant afford a REAL handcrafted japanese Wakizashi or tanto from the Edo period
    Last edited by ed9119; 6th January 2011 at 12:03 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  12. #12
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    ed does know his knives!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Ah... YES.. luna_sea83 got the shop i was talking about

    They are good, i also recommend you to visit them.

    Their website and address @ http://www.sheares.com/
    Wow, the catalogues looks great, esp the one from SOG. What is the average price of one of these knives?

  14. #14
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    one thing about buying knives IF U DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.... AT LEAST make sure its well-balanced

    its almost NEVER a fluke if a knife is well-balanced ..... and IF the knife manufacturer/maker is concientious enough to produce a well-balanced knife...... they are ALSO likely too to be using better material

    Take this as a VERY ROUGH advise because some knives are delibrately designed to be butt heavy (end of handle) or tip (business end of the knife) heavy due to different intended applications...

    another advise..... WALK AWAY from well oiled knives in shops ...... that means usually its prone to rust and oxidization .... meaning cheap materials used ....... knives made with decent materials will not rust..... some tarnish maybe..... but not rust (unless of course its stainless steel which u should also walk away from).

    Again this is just my personal opinion and practice ..... I could be well wrong
    Last edited by ed9119; 6th January 2011 at 12:32 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  15. #15
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by luna_sea83 View Post
    ed does know his knives!
    Wow... ed does knows his knives

    Hi ed, since you're interested in Japanese swords, maybe you will be interested in iaijutsu/iaido, the Japanese martial arts of drawing the sword Btw, I am training in MJER iaijutsu/iaido.

    I have a practical custom-made iaito from Japan, but it is sand-casted alloy and not the traditional forged iron.

    The REAL Shinken cost at least more than 10k, while a historical antique ones cost even more... and needs to know the history of its owner whose name and the year was scripted into the tang inside the Tsuka. Legend has mentioned that some historical Jap swords are EVIL... once it is drawn, it must shed blood before sheathing it back else it will give bad omen to the sword owner

    I have a friend whose father collected a very antique Daito which has a feel of so much EVIL energy.. that a visiting Buddhist monk advised him to let it go..

    The Japanese swords is the world deadly weapon during the Medieval times. Under a good swordman, it can cut metal... as well as bullets too!!!

    Video Missing
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

  16. #16
    Member chillicutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    727

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealDreamWalker View Post
    Wow... ed does knows his knives

    Hi ed, since you're interested in Japanese swords, maybe you will be interested in iaijutsu/iaido, the Japanese martial arts of drawing the sword Btw, I am training in MJER iaijutsu/iaido.

    I have a practical custom-made iaito from Japan, but it is sand-casted alloy and not the traditional forged iron.

    The REAL Shinken cost at least more than 10k, while a historical antique ones cost even more... and needs to know the history of its owner whose name and the year was scripted into the tang inside the Tsuka. Legend has mentioned that some historical Jap swords are EVIL... once it is drawn, it must shed blood before sheathing it back else it will give bad omen to the sword owner

    I have a friend whose father collected a very antique Daito which has a feel of so much EVIL energy.. that a visiting Buddhist monk advised him to let it go..

    The Japanese swords is the world deadly weapon during the Medieval times. Under a good swordman, it can cut metal... as well as bullets too!!!

    Video Missing

  17. #17
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    the zen in Japanese sword culture is almost like Japanese tea culture which I am not stable enough spiritually to absorb...... so I have never stepped or ventured into that realm !

    Kudos to you.......... heard about Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ........ I admire the mental strength and focus it instills in practicioners ..... drawing and cutting in a single action is like poetry in motion

    There is a 4th or 5th dan practioner who is an ang moh expat here in singapore actually


    ok enuf knife talk from me..... back to photography

    u guys enjoy yourselves
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  18. #18

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    thank you so much.

    the catalog is really helpful.

    also, ermm... do you know what should i do if i bring it for trips overseas? will they permit me to bring out and in of country and into another country?

  19. #19
    Senior Member luna_sea83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    1,294

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    You need to be aware when buying from shops, i believe they will record down your particulars when purchasing and submit it to the police.

    Thats what they did when i got mines.

  20. #20
    Member SurrealDreamWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Outer Limits
    Posts
    1,565

    Default Re: Knife collectors

    Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    thank you so much.

    the catalog is really helpful.

    also, ermm... do you know what should i do if i bring it for trips overseas? will they permit me to bring out and in of country and into another country?
    I think shouldn't be a problem if you keep it in your main luggage to be checked in (not hand-carry).

    I did that when i went to italy, uk, and spain... with a medium size swiss army knife.

    but then hor, do not take my words for it as situations maybe different now especially after the radical terrorists' threats...

    Moreover, i remembered having to declare my weapons when i visited canada to train in the dojos there.
    Last edited by SurrealDreamWalker; 7th January 2011 at 01:17 AM.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •