Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73

Thread: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

  1. #41
    Member NedKelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia (currently)
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    @FrozenRiver

    heheh no probs.
    I do find that having a variable one gives me a bit more convenience esp trying to shoot sunrise when the light is changing very fast but i still want to get smooth water flow.

    2 pieces of glass on 1 filter to vary the amount of light cut compared to having to change and stack 2 or more pieces.
    ___________
    Just to confirm for the faderfilter 77mm size, the lens cap size needed is 82mm.

  2. #42

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    Hi bro, no sweat about that. Glad to be of some help. I guess different cameras might give varying results, general test simply shows it affects some cameras more than others. Btw, D200 is a great camera and I'm still using it till now even after upgrading to full frame.
    You don't have a viewfinder shutter? I have a little switch next to the viewfinder that closes it for long exposures.
    Alpha

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    I personally have 2 B+W NDs. A 3-stop, for when the light is getting rather dim so I don't have exposures that go into the tens of minutes, and a 10-stop, for when I'm shooting in broad daylight.


    Some examples:

    This one was done with a 3-stop (Because I still wanted to retain some detail in the water flow instead of having "one big mess of white".





    This one was done with a 10-stop (when I wanted a perfectly smooth sea.)



    Hope this helped
    Thanks. Very nice pictures you've got there. Thanks for sharing!

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Just go for the 10-stops. 3-stop is not as significant i.e. you can step down the aperture/iso.

    I would get a 6/10 stop. But, that's only my personal preference.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    In fact I have a B+W CPL filter, which can serve as a 2-stop ND filter (as far as I have read). I just got a B+W ND110 (10-stop). Tried a few times (5 min-exposure). Lots of noise once zoomed in...

  6. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver
    In fact I have a B+W CPL filter, which can serve as a 2-stop ND filter (as far as I have read). I just got a B+W ND110 (10-stop). Tried a few times (5 min-exposure). Lots of noise once zoomed in...
    Long exposure introduce noise. Run a noise reduction over your image should mitigate the problem.

    In what situation do you require a 5min exposure? I usually use up to 2 min to smoothen the sea.

  7. #47

    Default

    Oh. Hot pixel tend to appear with longer exposure too.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    You don't have a viewfinder shutter? I have a little switch next to the viewfinder that closes it for long exposures.
    Yes i have the viewfinder shutter on the D700, however the D200 doesn't so I had to improvise a little in the past
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 9th January 2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  9. #49
    Senior Member edutilos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Universe
    Posts
    5,991

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by chiangkxv View Post
    Long exposure introduce noise. Run a noise reduction over your image should mitigate the problem.

    In what situation do you require a 5min exposure? I usually use up to 2 min to smoothen the sea.
    Long exposure introduce noise when you do not use base ISO and you do not expose properly.

  10. #50
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Long exposure introduce noise when you do not use base ISO and you do not expose properly.
    base iso as in the optimal iso in camera?

    i know my 450d has iso 100, but at highlight priority mode, it starts at 200. does it mean its base is 200?

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    848

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Long exposure introduce noise when you do not use base ISO and you do not expose properly.
    I think what Edutilos meant was to use the lowest possible ISO in your cam when doing long exposure.

  12. #52

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    base iso as in the optimal iso in camera?

    i know my 450d has iso 100, but at highlight priority mode, it starts at 200. does it mean its base is 200?
    it varies from cam to cam... but it's safe to use 100-200.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  13. #53

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by stinkyfoot17 View Post
    I think what Edutilos meant was to use the lowest possible ISO in your cam when doing long exposure.
    not necessary... there are certain cams with ISO 50 that are processed from the sensor base ISO100.

    Some cam sensors ISO starts at 200 and the ISO 100 is similarly processed in-cam.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  14. #54
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    not necessary... there are certain cams with ISO 50 that are processed from the sensor base ISO100.

    Some cam sensors ISO starts at 200 and the ISO 100 is similarly processed in-cam.
    which i think is the same for a lot of nikons. i'm quite sure my 450d too, through its highlight priority mode

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    So how do you guys prevent hot pixel and grainy pictures from long exposure? Those who uses nikon system, do you guys turn on the long exposure nr?
    In the eyes of the beholder!

  16. #56
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    So how do you guys prevent hot pixel and grainy pictures from long exposure? Those who uses nikon system, do you guys turn on the long exposure nr?
    nope. I dun turn on the nr. its easier to PhotoShop it. same for hotpixels. rule of thumb is use the native ISO.

  17. #57

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    base iso as in the optimal iso in camera?

    i know my 450d has iso 100, but at highlight priority mode, it starts at 200. does it mean its base is 200?
    Canon cameras have base ISO at 100. Most Nikon cameras have base ISO at 200, that's why their ISO 100 appears as "Lo1", not 100.

  18. #58

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    So how do you guys prevent hot pixel and grainy pictures from long exposure? Those who uses nikon system, do you guys turn on the long exposure nr?
    shoot at base ISOs (50-100) if possible.

  19. #59

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Canon cameras have base ISO at 100. Most Nikon cameras have base ISO at 200, that's why their ISO 100 appears as "Lo1", not 100.
    Some Canons (5D series) go down to 50 as well.

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    1,977

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    nope. I dun turn on the nr. its easier to PhotoShop it. same for hotpixels. rule of thumb is use the native ISO.
    Thanks. will definitely take note of it...
    In the eyes of the beholder!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •