Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73

Thread: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Gonna pick up an ND filter to try it out myself soon. The only thing is that, which one should I pick? How many stops would be the most useful? As I have read, there are ND filters that are capable of reducing light from 2 to 9/10 stops. Not sure which one to pick... (They are not cheap...) Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    the more essential ones imho is the 3 and 9 stops.

  3. #3

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    I have Hoya ND x4 and x8. ND x4 is the least use for me. Then again I wish I have the x400.
    Canon , Pansonic
    flickr

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Any shops that have your preference for purchasing filters of this sort? The prices are of my major concern here. Thanks.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    I got my Hoya ND400 from Orient Photo at $165, but I believe they are cheaper now. You can get the B&W ND110 through mass orders.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I got my Hoya ND400 from Orient Photo at $165, but I believe they are cheaper now. You can get the B&W ND110 through mass orders.
    ND400 makes a difference of 4 stops? The price is S$165?? OMG... Cannot imagine the price of those 10-stop ND filters.... I think I may need to reconsider...

  7. #7
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    ND400 makes a difference of 4 stops? The price is S$165?? OMG... Cannot imagine the price of those 10-stop ND filters.... I think I may need to reconsider...
    ND400 = 9 stops

  8. #8
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    Any shops that have your preference for purchasing filters of this sort? The prices are of my major concern here. Thanks.
    Mass Sales

    as to how many stops, would depend on lighting conditions and the shutter speed you wish to achieve.

    for example, if your base shutter speed (w/o the ND filter) is 1 second, then adding the NDx400 would make the shutter speed 400s (almost 7mins). That may or may not be ideal for you, depending on the affect you desire.
    Exploring! :)

  9. #9

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    ND400 makes a difference of 4 stops? The price is S$165?? OMG... Cannot imagine the price of those 10-stop ND filters.... I think I may need to reconsider...
    Ah, the ND400 cuts down light input by 9 stops. Oh, and actually, I've seen cheaper prices for the B&W 10-stop ND110 filter. They tend to sell out fast though.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    I see. Thanks a lot. Mass sales? I need to get it before January 10. Not sure if I have enough time to enjoy mass sales...

  11. #11
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    I see. Thanks a lot. Mass sales? I need to get it before January 10. Not sure if I have enough time to enjoy mass sales...
    Mass Sales is a forum section in this forum.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

    There is sellers selling these ND filters.

  12. #12
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    I'm thinking to buy B+W ND filter also, either ND106 or ND110, which one will you guys recommend for sunset/sunrise? My camera can't turn off the dark frame substraction, so I wish exposure < 30s.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    If you don't mind slot in filters, the kit from Tianya is quite cheap. Plus it will allow you to use on different size lenses, all you need to get is the correct adaptor ring for the size.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    I am getting a 77mm B+W ND110, together with a step ring... so that I can use the same filter for all my lenses, and prevent vignetting on smaller lenses. Hooray~~~

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    If you don't mind slot in filters, the kit from Tianya is quite cheap. Plus it will allow you to use on different size lenses, all you need to get is the correct adaptor ring for the size.
    The price seems indeed very decent. How are their quality as compared to the B+W counterparts? Thanks.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    The price seems indeed very decent. How are their quality as compared to the B+W counterparts? Thanks.
    B+W is known to make filters of high quality, with all the anti-flare/reflection coatings on the glass. Tianya filters are made from plastic, it works well, unless you want to nitpick. In my opinion, under normal use and circumstances, Tianya perform its job sufficiently well.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore City, Singapore
    Posts
    192

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    B+W is known to make filters of high quality, with all the anti-flare/reflection coatings on the glass. Tianya filters are made from plastic, it works well, unless you want to nitpick. In my opinion, under normal use and circumstances, Tianya perform its job sufficiently well.
    OK... Thanks a lot.

  18. #18
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,454

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    B+W is known to make filters of high quality, with all the anti-flare/reflection coatings on the glass. Tianya filters are made from plastic, it works well, unless you want to nitpick. In my opinion, under normal use and circumstances, Tianya perform its job sufficiently well.
    I know that B+W ND filters are made from glass, but I read that they aren't coated. Is it true? So which one is better Hoya or B+W?
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/longere...7623944749748/

    Tianya gives me flare, although I admit it perform its job good enough.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    I know that B+W ND filters are made from glass, but I read that they aren't coated. Is it true?
    My bad, i did some looking up on the B+W filters and indeed, many claimed that the ND110 aren't coated. You're probably right about the coating. Many also commented that the Hoya being better with multicoating and less colour cast. Ok, technicalities apart, here is a shot that I took with the Tianya filter,



    One point to remember is to cover the viewfinder when doing long exposures, especially so when gets really long. Stray light entering the viewfinder can cause weird flares and artifacts on your image, so its best to seal off all possible openings to eliminate such unwanted interferences.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 5th January 2011 at 03:30 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  20. #20

    Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    One point to remember is to cover the viewfinder when doing long exposures, especially so when gets really long. Stray light entering the viewfinder can cause weird flares and artifacts on your image, so its best to seal off all possible openings to eliminate such unwanted interferences.
    Do you have any reference to any test that the VF needs to be sealed off? Coz last time whenever I did like 60-120s shots, no issue. I also tested a couple of days ago this light leakage thing from the lens. I shone my 35W metal halide torchlight (eg something like 175W halogen) spotlight straight into the VF as a concentrated beam (ie much brighter than the sun), it was ISO3200 and 1 second. No issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •