Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

Default I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

Gonna pick up an ND filter to try it out myself soon. The only thing is that, which one should I pick? How many stops would be the most useful? As I have read, there are ND filters that are capable of reducing light from 2 to 9/10 stops. Not sure which one to pick... (They are not cheap...) Thanks guys.

Default Re: I am so poisoned by night86mare's long-exposure shots......

the more essential ones imho is the 3 and 9 stops.

I have Hoya ND x4 and x8. ND x4 is the least use for me. Then again I wish I have the x400.
    Canon , Pansonic
    flickr

Any shops that have your preference for purchasing filters of this sort? The prices are of my major concern here. Thanks.

I got my Hoya ND400 from Orient Photo at $165, but I believe they are cheaper now. You can get the B&W ND110 through mass orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    I got my Hoya ND400 from Orient Photo at $165, but I believe they are cheaper now. You can get the B&W ND110 through mass orders.
    ND400 makes a difference of 4 stops? The price is S$165?? OMG... Cannot imagine the price of those 10-stop ND filters.... I think I may need to reconsider...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenRiver View Post
    ND400 makes a difference of 4 stops? The price is S$165?? OMG... Cannot imagine the price of those 10-stop ND filters.... I think I may need to reconsider...
    ND400 = 9 stops

Any shops that have your preference for purchasing filters of this sort? The prices are of my major concern here. Thanks.
    Mass Sales

as to how many stops, would depend on lighting conditions and the shutter speed you wish to achieve.

for example, if your base shutter speed (w/o the ND filter) is 1 second, then adding the NDx400 would make the shutter speed 400s (almost 7mins). That may or may not be ideal for you, depending on the affect you desire.
    Exploring! :)

Ah, the ND400 cuts down light input by 9 stops. Oh, and actually, I've seen cheaper prices for the B&W 10-stop ND110 filter. They tend to sell out fast though.

I see. Thanks a lot. Mass sales? I need to get it before January 10. Not sure if I have enough time to enjoy mass sales...

I see. Thanks a lot. Mass sales? I need to get it before January 10. Not sure if I have enough time to enjoy mass sales...
    Mass Sales is a forum section in this forum.
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

There is sellers selling these ND filters.

I'm thinking to buy B+W ND filter also, either ND106 or ND110, which one will you guys recommend for sunset/sunrise? My camera can't turn off the dark frame substraction, so I wish exposure < 30s.

If you don't mind slot in filters, the kit from Tianya is quite cheap. Plus it will allow you to use on different size lenses, all you need to get is the correct adaptor ring for the size.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

I am getting a 77mm B+W ND110, together with a step ring... so that I can use the same filter for all my lenses, and prevent vignetting on smaller lenses. Hooray~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    If you don't mind slot in filters, the kit from Tianya is quite cheap. Plus it will allow you to use on different size lenses, all you need to get is the correct adaptor ring for the size.
    The price seems indeed very decent. How are their quality as compared to the B+W counterparts? Thanks.

The price seems indeed very decent. How are their quality as compared to the B+W counterparts? Thanks.
    B+W is known to make filters of high quality, with all the anti-flare/reflection coatings on the glass. Tianya filters are made from plastic, it works well, unless you want to nitpick. In my opinion, under normal use and circumstances, Tianya perform its job sufficiently well.

B+W is known to make filters of high quality, with all the anti-flare/reflection coatings on the glass. Tianya filters are made from plastic, it works well, unless you want to nitpick. In my opinion, under normal use and circumstances, Tianya perform its job sufficiently well.
    OK... Thanks a lot.

I know that B+W ND filters are made from glass, but I read that they aren't coated. Is it true? So which one is better Hoya or B+W?
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/longere...7623944749748/

Tianya gives me flare, although I admit it perform its job good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanpriest View Post
    I know that B+W ND filters are made from glass, but I read that they aren't coated. Is it true?
    My bad, i did some looking up on the B+W filters and indeed, many claimed that the ND110 aren't coated. You're probably right about the coating. Many also commented that the Hoya being better with multicoating and less colour cast. Ok, technicalities apart, here is a shot that I took with the Tianya filter,

One point to remember is to cover the viewfinder when doing long exposures, especially so when gets really long. Stray light entering the viewfinder can cause weird flares and artifacts on your image, so its best to seal off all possible openings to eliminate such unwanted interferences.
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 5th January 2011 at 03:30 PM.

One point to remember is to cover the viewfinder when doing long exposures, especially so when gets really long. Stray light entering the viewfinder can cause weird flares and artifacts on your image, so its best to seal off all possible openings to eliminate such unwanted interferences.
    Do you have any reference to any test that the VF needs to be sealed off? Coz last time whenever I did like 60-120s shots, no issue. I also tested a couple of days ago this light leakage thing from the lens. I shone my 35W metal halide torchlight (eg something like 175W halogen) spotlight straight into the VF as a concentrated beam (ie much brighter than the sun), it was ISO3200 and 1 second. No issue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast