Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96

Thread: Marina Bay Sand at night

  1. #41

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If your focussing point falls on a dark spot, you will most probably not be able to focus since the cameras read contrast for focussing. Other than that, there's no reason why AF won't work for scenes like these.
    another possibility...front/back-focusing of his sigma lens?

  2. #42

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Hi All , thanks for all the positive comments and advises . Now I decide to buy two more lens to practice.I need a lens for landscape and animal shooting(eg.bird). So i need your recommendation .Pls help me to select any two of the choices below:
    (a)canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM
    (b)canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    (c)canon EF-S 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS
    (d)canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
    (e)canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS
    (f)sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC HSM
    (g)sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM
    (h)sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM
    (i)sigma APO 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG OS
    (j)tamron AF 18-270mm Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro

  3. #43

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Hi there,

    I think the lens below are quite appropriate and inexpensive.
    Landscape: Tokina 11-16
    Bird: Canon 55-250

    I don't think you should so quickly jump into buying lens though. Should try to learn a little more about your body and composition. Probably can get 18-55 as it is inexpensive.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Is 18-55 suitable for landscape?

  5. #45

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by bambang View Post
    Is 18-55 suitable for landscape?
    Sure is a comfortable range.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Yes it is suitable.
    I am using one currently and don't see myself changing in the next few years

  7. #47

    Default

    Hi Bambang. I know you are really loaded with cash. Seeing how you are already considering buying many more lens when you only have 0 knowledge not too long ago. I think we all agree you should learn more and form your own opinion first about what is good for you. Asking and listing down all lens and ask forumers here to pick and choose for you, you are bound to not get what you wish for once again. Btw can you tell us the shop where you bought your cam and lens from so we can avoid the unscrupulous shop keeper who gives recommendations that will earn him more bucks. Thanks

  8. #48

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Thanks for all the kind advices. I bought my cam+lens from Edison Electronic PL at sim lim.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    Canon 500D, 550D, 60D and 7D are crop cameras which means they carries a crop factor of 1.6 times the original focal length of a lens (24mm x 1.6 = 45mm)

    Canon 5DMKII, 1Ds are full frame cameras which means what u see is what you get (24mm means 24mm)

    go google the difference btw crop vs full frame cameras.
    Pardon me for being pedantic, but 24mm on any camera will still be 24mm.

    You don't change the focal length just like that.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    i think its your remote problem really. the picture is not blurred but out of focus. not that your remote is faulty, just that it takes some practice to AF with the remote.

    i suggest to ditch the remote and just use the timer @ 2s.

    18-55 is good enough for landscape, just that you have to stand a bit far away. this is the reason why I don't like canon aps-c cameras, their crop factor of 1.6 is tighter than nikon's 1.5, so you really got to get a wider lens. try shopping for 10-22 next time.

  11. #51

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Pardon me for being pedantic, but 24mm on any camera will still be 24mm.

    You don't change the focal length just like that.
    have u ever tried looking at 24mm from 550D and 24mm from 5D?
    There's a big difference.....

  12. #52

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Pardon me for being pedantic, but 24mm on any camera will still be 24mm.

    You don't change the focal length just like that.
    Are you sure ?

  13. #53
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Pardon me for being pedantic, but 24mm on any camera will still be 24mm.

    You don't change the focal length just like that.

    Are you trying to make a statement that 24mm is same on both FX and DX body?
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  14. #54

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Pardon me for being pedantic, but 24mm on any camera will still be 24mm.

    You don't change the focal length just like that.
    Rubbish.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by ayatokamina View Post
    have u ever tried looking at 24mm from 550D and 24mm from 5D?
    There's a big difference.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    Are you sure ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kwttan View Post
    Are you trying to make a statement that 24mm is same on both FX and DX body?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickymartin View Post
    Rubbish.
    Angle of view changes. Focal length doesn't.
    Last edited by MARK1992; 9th January 2011 at 02:29 PM.

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992

    Angle of view changes. Focal length doesn't.
    Mark is spot on here. It's always a wrong use of terms when it comes to describing this.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyrei View Post
    Mark is spot on here. It's always a wrong use of terms when it comes to describing this.
    Thank you. I was just waiting for someone like you to chime in.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Angle of view changes. Focal length doesn't.
    angle of view changes with focal length. NOT sensor size, though it plays a part when you're talking about FF bodies and Crop Sensor bodies.

    let's compare a 24-70mm lens, any brand.

    i'm using a Sony Alpha A550 with a sensor size 1.5x smaller than that of a Fullframe sensor body A900.

    if i use the 24-70 lens on my A900, it shows me the angle of view of 24mm at the widest.

    however, if i use the 24-70 on my A550, i would get a narrower angle of view of 36mm at the widest. because of the smaller sensor size, i multiply the focal range by 1.5x. so 24-70 on my A550 is actually 36-105mm (ok my math in school almost FAILED so please correct this if i'm wrong).

    now, if i zoom in the 24-70 on the FF A900 to 36mm and see the image that i get. it'll be the same as the widest on my A550.

    hope that helps. seniors please correct me if i'm wrong. because i'm still feeling the buzz from my drinking session last night

  19. #59

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    angle of view changes with focal length. NOT sensor size, though it plays a part when you're talking about FF bodies and Crop Sensor bodies.

    let's compare a 24-70mm lens, any brand.

    i'm using a Sony Alpha A550 with a sensor size 1.5x smaller than that of a Fullframe sensor body A900.

    if i use the 24-70 lens on my A900, it shows me the angle of view of 24mm at the widest.

    however, if i use the 24-70 on my A550, i would get a narrower angle of view of 36mm at the widest. because of the smaller sensor size, i multiply the focal range by 1.5x. so 24-70 on my A550 is actually 36-105mm (ok my math in school almost FAILED so please correct this if i'm wrong).

    now, if i zoom in the 24-70 on the FF A900 to 36mm and see the image that i get. it'll be the same as the widest on my A550.

    hope that helps. seniors please correct me if i'm wrong. because i'm still feeling the buzz from my drinking session last night
    Taking the crop factor into account isn't simply multiplying the focal length by 1.X times and proudly proclaiming that the new focal length is 1.X times before.

    Focal length does not change unless you are zooming in, or zooming out.

    The last bit about 36mm on the A900 looking the same as widest on the A550 is correct, but only because they share the same angle of view.

    However, saying that "i would get a narrower angle of view of 36mm at the widest" is not correct. "You will get a narrower angle of view of XX degrees at 24mm which is equivalent to 36mm on a full frame sensor." - Now this would be correct.

    I do suggest each party does their own research. I know I have.

  20. #60
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,620
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Marina Bay Sand at night

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Taking the crop factor into account isn't simply multiplying the focal length by 1.X times and proudly proclaiming that the new focal length is 1.X times before.

    Focal length does not change unless you are zooming in, or zooming out.

    The last bit about 36mm on the A900 looking the same as widest on the A550 is correct, but only because they share the same angle of view.

    However, saying that "i would get a narrower angle of view of 36mm at the widest" is not correct. "You will get a narrower angle of view of XX degrees at 24mm which is equivalent to 36mm on a full frame sensor." - Now this would be correct.

    I do suggest each party does their own research. I know I have.
    Would it be correct to say that, the focal length depends on the lenses, whereas the cropped sensor altered the angle of view which gives a 50mm lens a 80mm equivalent view on a camera with 1.6X crop? Analogous to the cropping in PP, when we can actually get a "closed up view" by cropping?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •