Thread: First HDR attemp

Default First HDR attemp

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Composition, HDR effect, exposure. I know the horizon is tilted, but my eyes can't just let me straigten it even with photoshop.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
    This is my first HDR attemp. Taken with -1,0,+1 at f8.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Taken during sunrise.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    I think it looks natural and not overprocess.

Default Re: First HDR attemp

The effects of HDR is not obvious here. The details in the dark regions around the boat and foliages on the background aren't visible. The bracketed exposures have not captured the whole dynamic range needed. A good guide to figure out how many stops wide to capture would be to meter the brightest and darkest regions of the scene and determine whats the upper bound and lower bound of the bracketed exposures. Practise the rule of thirds in your composition, in this case, you could place the boat on the bottom right of the frame, exposing more of the left side of the scene. Since there is some kinda platform/jetty to the left, I guess it will add some interesting detail to the overall image. Do go back there again and try again. Keep shooting
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 5th January 2011 at 09:02 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    The effects of HDR is not obvious here. The details in the dark regions around the boat and foliages on the background aren't visible. The bracketed exposures have not captured the whole dynamic range needed. A good guide to figure out how many stops wide to capture would be to meter the brightest and darkest regions of the scene and determine whats the upper bound and lower bound of the bracketed exposures. Practise the rule of thirds in your composition, in this case, you could place the boat on the bottom right of the frame, exposing more of the left side of the scene. Since there is some kinda platform/jetty to the left, I guess it will add some interesting detail to the overall image. Do go back there again and try again. Keep shooting
    Wow! thank you very much! There is still a lot more to learn! Actually I do not think this is really HDR but I used the HDR effect to make the sky look better. And ya, the boat moved so I when I join them in HDR, it looked blur so I decided to make it darker. Any guide what should I do? About composition I will try again. THanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by ngopkhoi View Post
    Wow! thank you very much! There is still a lot more to learn! Actually I do not think this is really HDR but I used the HDR effect to make the sky look better. And ya, the boat moved so I when I join them in HDR, it looked blur so I decided to make it darker. Any guide what should I do? About composition I will try again. THanks!!
    perhaps you might want to read up more on HDR, what it can do and what people will mostly used it for.

Composition wise, I would have place the boat a bit more left in the pic and have a bit more water and a bit less sky.

Colour looks great and as mentioned, don't seems like there is a need for HDR. Another way to pp is to use blending instead.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    perhaps you might want to read up more on HDR, what it can do and what people will mostly used it for.

Composition wise, I would have place the boat a bit more left in the pic and have a bit more water and a bit less sky.

Colour looks great and as mentioned, don't seems like there is a need for HDR. Another way to pp is to use blending instead.
    THanks for your advise. Composition I will go and try again. Actually the color was not that great at first. After joining them in HDR, I used color balancing to make it look way cooler.