Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 157

Thread: LCD monitors with only 18-bit colour

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yong Kang
    Posts
    176

    Default

    [QUOTE=erwinx]I've updated Snag's list:

    (all 24-bit panels)

    (1) Apple Cinema Displays
    (2) Dell 2001FP, 1905FP (if 2005FP, 2405FP arrives in Singapore, that too)
    (3) Eizo
    (4) Samsung 913T, 109P
    (5) Sharp LL-T19D1-B

    [QUOTE]

    Pardon my ignorance. What are the comments on the Dell, Samsung and Sharp? anyone bought from Dell?? How long do they take to process and deliver the order?

  2. #102

    Default

    what's dvi input for anyway? btw: besides the apple 30' HD *lust*, are there any other brands that make lcd's to that size. *ok lah, I don't need 30', but 21' would be nice

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    DVI = Digital Visual Interface, a fully digital interface between the graphics card and the monitor. Everything is sent digitally. VGA is analog. The card will convert the video signals into an analog signal, the monitor will convert it back to digital for display. In between there is some loss, whereas with DVI, you don't get any loss or signal degradation, resulting in a higher quality output.

    ViewSonic has a 30" LCD TV for $1999 if you are interested. But the resolution isn't as high as the Apple 30". Think it's like 1280 x 768 only.

    Regards
    CK

  4. #104
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kitten's Den
    Posts
    733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    I've updated Snag's list:

    (all 24-bit panels)

    (1) Apple Cinema Displays
    (2) Dell 2001FP, 1905FP (if 2005FP, 2405FP arrives in Singapore, that too)
    (3) Eizo
    (4) Samsung 913T, 109P
    (5) Sharp LL-T19D1-B
    I believe the Samsung 910T is 24bit as well.

  5. #105
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yong Kang
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    I believe the Samsung 910T is 24bit as well.
    Understand from some people that the Magic tune and rest of the enhancements software from Samsung doesnt work with the Mac. Is that true?

  6. #106
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Anyway, now (or rather for a few years) that Interactive Media Solutions closed shop, anyone knows where I can view and buy Eizo LCD's/ CRT's?
    Quite interested to get a 17" L568 to complement my L350 already..
    Time to move on I guess.... Funny that I could still play FPS games very well on my L350 despite it's 45ms response time...

  7. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Anyway, now (or rather for a few years) that Interactive Media Solutions closed shop, anyone knows where I can view and buy Eizo LCD's/ CRT's?
    Quite interested to get a 17" L568 to complement my L350 already..
    Time to move on I guess.... Funny that I could still play FPS games very well on my L350 despite it's 45ms response time...
    This refresh rate thing is quite overhyped. ViewSonic just released a 4ms LCD btw....

    Regards
    CK

  8. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    This refresh rate thing is quite overhyped. ViewSonic just released a 4ms LCD btw....

    Regards
    CK

    Heh... Quite overhyped.. My LCD should theorectically be a disaster for FPS gamers.. Oh well..
    Just gonna plonk the money down for an Eizo L568 or the Sharp LL-19D1-B (for my dad to use and then take over my dad's Eizo L557).. Need a good display for pictures editing.. Given up on games many a year back..

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    The last time I saw a L568 was at the show before the IT Show 2005. $799. You might want to call the distributor Powermatic to find out where to buy one.

    Regards
    CK

  10. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frisky
    I believe the Samsung 910T is 24bit as well.
    Nope. It's specifications state 16.2mil colours.. Just another 18bit dithered..

  11. #111
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ckiang
    The last time I saw a L568 was at the show before the IT Show 2005. $799. You might want to call the distributor Powermatic to find out where to buy one.

    Regards
    CK

    Yeah... I think I'll get that.. I believe they have a store in some obsure position in SLS. Will have to go down next week to check out..

    The only shop I saw with the Sharp 19" is selling it at a whopping $1.4k+++

    I might as well buy an Eizo 19", 24bit panel at that price and get 3 years onsite warranty.. Still miss Interactive Media Solutions though.. They allow testing for zero BP/ DP before buying. And the salesman also helps to check using their computer to change the background colours.

  12. #112

    Default

    If you want a 16.7 Mil colour lcd.. might want to check out the Dell 1905FP.

    If you want the same panel as the Apple, then the Dell 2001FP uses the same but of course Apple prob uses a different DSP to run the panel than Dell

    The panel details are in the anandtech reviews http://www.anandtech.com/displays/sh...spx?i=2332&p=4

    Dell gives a 30 day money back gurantee (dun forget if u return u are likely to incur shipping cost...so its not completely 'money back') so I picked up the set and after 30 days of checking it out decided to keep it. Its not an easy monitor to calibrate but now that I've got it set up I like it quite a lot. Feel free to PM me questions if you're considering it.

    The other lcd that I like are the Viewsonics, but some of them are not 16.7mil colours
    Last edited by Rurouni; 17th April 2005 at 12:55 PM.

  13. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rurouni
    If you want a 16.7 Mil colour lcd.. might want to check out the Dell 1905FP.

    If you want the same panel as the Apple, then the Dell 2001FP uses the same but of course Apple prob uses a different DSP to run the panel than Dell

    The panel details are in the anandtech reviews http://www.anandtech.com/displays/sh...spx?i=2332&p=4

    Dell gives a 30 day money back gurantee (dun forget if u return u are likely to incur shipping cost...so its not completely 'money back') so I picked up the set and after 30 days of checking it out decided to keep it. Its not an easy monitor to calibrate but now that I've got it set up I like it quite a lot. Feel free to PM me questions if you're considering it.

    The other lcd that I like are the Viewsonics, but some of them are not 16.7mil colours

    I am looking for a true 24bit panel but I've more or less made up my mind to get an Eizo. Both LCD panels I have at home are Eizo panels. Just that my dad is using the 24bit, 17" panel and I'm using an 18bit 15" panel. I also like the idea of having 3 years of onsite warranty since I hate lugging anything down to some ulu place for repairs. Better to just let their guys come down and collect it. =)

    Now that I can move my computer into my room and have more space, I'd want to get a 2nd display that's capable of 24 bits.

    My other option is to hunt for a good 17" CRT that has BNC inputs. Which, IIRC, are not available locally.
    Last edited by Firefox; 17th April 2005 at 01:09 PM.

  14. #114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Yeah... I think I'll get that.. I believe they have a store in some obsure position in SLS. Will have to go down next week to check out..

    The only shop I saw with the Sharp 19" is selling it at a whopping $1.4k+++

    I might as well buy an Eizo 19", 24bit panel at that price and get 3 years onsite warranty.. Still miss Interactive Media Solutions though.. They allow testing for zero BP/ DP before buying. And the salesman also helps to check using their computer to change the background colours.
    The computer exhibition at Suntec recently still had some Sharp 19" at $699, but that should be the last of the stock as the shop selling it seems to have switched to selling LG...

    regarding 910T, i think most of the local stock currently has 24-bit panels as all the brochures state 910T to be 16.7 mil colours (and the same brochure states other samsung models as 16.2 m colours)

    The problem with 910T is that Samsung sources for panels from Korea and China. One is 24-bit one is not. The only way to find out is to open up the monitor to check the panel code [only for crazy hardware reviewers like Anandtech where they open up the monitor and photograph the parts inside].

    Since Dell 1905P is basically a better Samsung panel than 910T, I picked the 1905P and took the risk of dead pixels (as mentioned, you have to pay shipping costs to return if dead pixels).

    The 30" viewsonic LCD TV at $1999 is very tempting (widescreen 720p x-box gaming...) I hope it signals a price drop across the board for other LCD TVs too.

  15. #115

    Default

    Is this Eizo a good deal?

    Just saw the above monitor EIZOL551-K at the powermatic site on discount.

    Any one has it?

  16. #116
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bedok
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joteo
    Is this Eizo a good deal?

    Just saw the above monitor EIZOL551-K at the powermatic site on discount.

    Any one has it?
    It's an 18-bit panel.. Your call....

  17. #117

    Default

    so which eizo is 24 bit? the exact model number code..

  18. #118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    It's an 18-bit panel.. Your call....
    Thanks.

    I called Powermatic. They have NO retail shop. You have to get direct from them.

    I'm looking at the L768. But besides photography, I've also got to look out for a monitor that I can do video editing on. As well as the usual office & internet applications.

    The L768 is $1055. I'm advising for 2 other LCD purchases as well as my own. That's 3 monitors.

    I hate buying monitors that I can't see. It's like buying a Dell.

    Although I did own an EIZO 17" CRT which was close to $2k when I got it. It was the best monitor I ever owned.

    Do you have an opinion on the L768?

  19. #119

    Default

    CRT colour is much better than LCD

    Best LCD on the market probably goes to Sharp. Maybe should buy an Aquos TV and double as a computer monitor.

    The 32inch ones looks good enough.

  20. #120
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sinlg
    CRT colour is much better than LCD
    Actually, not very true But oh well...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •