Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LCD monitors with only 18-bit colour

erwinx - I have the 2001FP. Dell dp/bp isn't guaranteed. I confirmed this with them. However,

(a) Yields are very good for this panel (quite long in mkt) and very few dp/bp by reports on net and other users (here too). High end panel with higher QC requirements.

(b) Only BP matters at 1600x1200 as DP is really tiny. If u get a BP, then just call dell up and say u want refund (don't be silly and say it is because Dp/BP but something like stand too big/don't fix your needs). Costs u $60 for shipping back and treat it as cost (nearest competitor is $$$ away).

(c) Repeat above till satisfied with panel.

BTW - mine was perfect on first try. No issue.

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    Regarding zero bright dot etc. If its not in the warranty, its not covered. I actually went to an Eizo dealer in SLS and asked, the salesman said the distributor will cover zero bright dot. I asked whether its stated in the warranty card, he said no, but no problem. I called the distributor, of course they say no such thing.

Dell online prices look ok, just concerned about not being able to test the set before buying...

For those who are looking at 19" panels, the 1905FP is quite a good buy. $750+.

800:1 contrast ratio, 20ms, 8 bit panel. (Samsung panel, taken from Anandtech site).

I bought a 2nd hand 3 month old Viewsonic 19" AG tube CRT for $350 (new sellign for $500). Pretty decent quality (cannot compare Sony G420 or Mitsubishi's DiamondTron Tube) but for the price I am happy.

I bought the Eizo 19" Flexscan L768 for $1400, and boy are the colours good! Comparing them with my CRT, i even find the colours on the LCD better, they are really saturated. But the LCD renders the pictures slightly brighter.

Furthermore, there is a feature called the brightness stabillisation feature that monitors the brightness levels and adjusts the colour and brightness. I'm in love with this baby!

Quote Originally Posted by visceral_verve
    I bought the Eizo 19" Flexscan L768 for $1400, and boy are the colours good! Comparing them with my CRT, i even find the colours on the LCD better, they are really saturated. But the LCD renders the pictures slightly brighter.

Furthermore, there is a feature called the brightness stabillisation feature that monitors the brightness levels and adjusts the colour and brightness. I'm in love with this baby!
    Just to ask, where did you get this?

I called up powermatic the distributor for Eizo products in singapore. Then they refered me to theeir dealer. I think you can contact powermatic too. Their website is www.powermatic.com.sg

thanks to the recommendations of the others in this thread, I just got my Dell 1905FP. No dead pixels. Whew!

The Anandtech review states that the panel is identical to that of the $1099 Samsung 109P. It has the same specs, 800:1, 20 ms, 24-bit panel. All for $750. Furthermore has built-in USB hub.

Before calibration, there is a noticeable green cast. After calibration with spyder, the picture quality is very good and the blacks are very deep. The black point is so low that OptiCAL reports it as 0.00.

3 thumbs up for Dell. Lets hope they bring in the widescreen 2005FP as well.

great buy! Dell LCD's are actually very good value for money.

erwinx: beware of using spyder to calibrate a LCD screen, it
    s very inaccurate in terms of contrast!

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    hi oeyvind, compared to my calibrated CRT which it replaced, the LCD is even more contrasty, but don't notice an inaccuracy. What problem did u encounter?

The standard grey bar test pattern doesn't show anything seriously wrong... do you have any other downloadable patterns to test the contrast settings?

Deregistered

I won't be surprised the LCD is more contrasty, it has caught up quite closely to CRTs

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    If I'm using a DVI hookup to an LCD, I won't be able to manually adjust the contrast right, only brightness? (noobie on this)

Quote Originally Posted by Rurouni
    If I'm using a DVI hookup to an LCD, I won't be able to manually adjust the contrast right, only brightness? (noobie on this)
    correct. possible workaround is your video card driver will allow contrast setting. congrats on getting your 1905P, please post your impressions of it

I think I wanna kope my dad's EIzo L557 liaoz... It's a 24bit model.. Heh.. My L350... Too old already.... No such thing as 24bit panel at that time.. lol..

CMV 19" LCD 16.7million colours, posted on their website

How about Acer LCD? My dad saw the advertisement today...

http://www.acer.com.sg/promo/display.asp#al1715s

1715s for $388.

Worth it?

What the differences between the 1, 2 and 3 series? 18-bit or 24-bit? Thanks!

Any good suggestions and alternatives for such price range?

Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    How about Acer LCD? My dad saw the advertisement today...

http://www.acer.com.sg/promo/display.asp#al1715s

1715s for $388.

Worth it?

What the differences between the 1, 2 and 3 series? 18-bit or 24-bit? Thanks!

Any good suggestions and alternatives for such price range?
    unlikely to be 24-bit (14 ms panel)

Acer/Benq have a bad reputation of inflating their contrast ratio claims. magazines like pcmag.com have measured say, 700:1 ratio benq monitors and found their true contrast ratio around 350:1 whereas other brands only 'exaggerate' by 10-20%... I would stay far away from them for serious photoediting. But 14 ms should be good for gaming

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    unlikely to be 24-bit (14 ms panel)

Acer/Benq have a bad reputation of inflating their contrast ratio claims. magazines like pcmag.com have measured say, 700:1 ratio benq monitors and found their true contrast ratio around 350:1 whereas other brands only 'exaggerate' by 10-20%... I would stay far away from them for serious photoediting. But 14 ms should be good for gaming

Thanks for your advices...

Is DVI input a must?

And what 17" LCD would you recomend (preferably below $500)

You guys may want to consider about this... There's this review by Anandtech that's quite promising, but lost the link..

http://www.samsung.com/sg/presscente...0000108976.asp

I've updated Snag's list:

(all 24-bit panels)

(1) Apple Cinema Displays
    (2) Dell 2001FP, 1905FP (if 2005FP, 2405FP arrives in Singapore, that too)
    (3) Eizo
    (4) Samsung 913T, 109P
    (5) Sharp LL-T19D1-B

Footnotes
    (i) Manufacturer claims on contrast ratio are often inflated. Some manufacturers only inflate by 10-20% and some others go beyond that. Don't be surprised if a 700:1 claimed ratio measures 350:1 in real life.

(ii) The quality of the signal processor is also important. This aspect hasn't been explored much except by Anandtech. Two well known brands are Faroudja (more for LCD TVs) and Genesis. Just as an illustration of the good value of Dells, their $948 LCD TV is 1280x768 with Faroudja DCDi. Look at the Japanese brand LCD TVs costing >$1k with only 800x600 resolution and no Faroudja processing.

(iii) Hardware calibration is also recommended.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast