Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LCD monitors with only 18-bit colour

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    It's a 18 bit monitor without DVI, but I guess it's rather cheap for that price point.

Just to ask, does the 18bit vs 24bit color difference make a discernable difference? It's really hard to find a true 24bit colour panel these days (except for some brands).
    I can see some colour differences between the 18 and 24bits, the 24 bit panel colours seem more vibrant and sharper.

That's just me.

cybermind is selling viewsonic 19" vx 912 and 19" vg 900 lcd monitors at (749/669) respecitvely.

is the vg 900 any good then? (what kind of brand is viewsonic anyway.. never really heard of them until the last few years. dunno if they are some newbie brand like akira/shinco/enzer etc)

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    cybermind is selling viewsonic 19" vx 912 and 19" vg 900 lcd monitors at (749/669) respecitvely.

is the vg 900 any good then? (what kind of brand is viewsonic anyway.. never really heard of them until the last few years. dunno if they are some newbie brand like akira/shinco/enzer etc)

The VG900 is a SuperClearMVA panel, should be better than a normal TN panel. But then again, the current crop of Viewsonic products are way off what they are the last time (CRT). Since they are an American company, my money is on the Flying Dutch (Philips) or Korean (Samsung). Dell's 19" UltraSharp is an exception...... since it is an American company with a Korean branded Panel (Samsung) but made in Malaysia?

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    The VG900 is a SuperClearMVA panel, should be better than a normal TN panel. But then again, the current crop of Viewsonic products are way off what they are the last time (CRT). Since they are an American company, my money is on the Flying Dutch (Philips) or Korean (Samsung). Dell's 19" UltraSharp is an exception...... since it is an American company with a Korean branded Panel (Samsung) but made in Malaysia?
    Yo bro can check with you about laptop screens? I actually ask about it but nobody seems to be able to answer my question. Here goes.....

Okie so some LCDs displays are 18 bit and some is 24 bit. So how about iBook and PB display? Are they 18 or 24 or 32 bit? Just curious to find out as well.

And how to know as well which monitors are 18 bit and which are 24 bits. I know Apple Cinema Displays should be at 24bits.

Thanks you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    I am getting a cheap cheap 17" Philips now, $225, save the money till I can get a 20" LCD at 1600x1200 aspect ratio.
    where did u find $225 17" lcd?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Yo bro can check with you about laptop screens? I actually ask about it but nobody seems to be able to answer my question. Here goes.....

Okie so some LCDs displays are 18 bit and some is 24 bit. So how about iBook and PB display? Are they 18 or 24 or 32 bit? Just curious to find out as well.

And how to know as well which monitors are 18 bit and which are 24 bits. I know Apple Cinema Displays should be at 24bits.

Thanks you in advance!

See the number of colours, 16.7m is 24bit, 16.2m or 16m is 18bit.

argh. why singapore don't have flat crt monitors (there is such a beast)

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I can see some colour differences between the 18 and 24bits, the 24 bit panel colours seem more vibrant and sharper.

That's just me.
    Which 19inch 24bit LCD do you recommend then? My shortlist at the moment:

Sharp T19D1-B - 24bit BUT 25ms response, so may not be good for video?
    Samsung 910T - 24bit BUT 25ms response, and NOT cheap @ $888
    Viewsonic VX912 - not too expensive, 12ms response, BUT only 18bit

Any recommendation?

So here's some of the 19" LCDs that have native 24bit panels:

Apple Cinema Display 20"
    Samsung 910T (the one with the triangular base)
    Sharp LL-T19D1-B
    Dell 2001FP

Apple Cinema Display 20"
    Sharp LL-T19D1-B
    Dell 2001FP
    For myself

1. Apple - out of budget
    2. Samsung - Not cheap at $888
    3. Sharp - quite good price < $700, but 25ms
    4. Dell - is LCD manufacturing their core biz?? Not cheap @ $1200+

anyway, anyone with experience if 25ms response rate is too slow for video editing?

Apple Cinema Display 20"
    Sharp LL-T19D1-B
    Dell 2001FP
    By the way, the specs for the Dell doesnt state the colours. How to know it is 24 bit?

Quote Originally Posted by audiorook
    By the way, the specs for the Dell doesnt state the colours. How to know it is 24 bit?
    Got the information from Java Guru...

Actually, the Sharp monitor seems good, as it's 25ms (the same as Samsung 910T).

But however tempting, I'm still sticking with CRT atm. Maybe when these 24 bit 19"ers drop to sub $500 prices then I'll consider.

Actually, the Sharp monitor seems good, as it's 25ms (the same as Samsung 910T).
    In fact considering the following at the moment:

Sharp T19D1-B
    Samsung 910T
    Viewsonice VG900

A friend has advised to go for the Sharp, since they are speciailist in LCD.

Any views?

currently I only wait until all are zero dead pixels... why pay premium bucks for obviously faulty products? do u chg ur cam if it has a spotted sensor?
    still not mature... wait wait wait...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

juz a guess..i will go for the sharp

I just ordered Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP. Should arrive this week.

Dell was running a 20% discount on this model on their US site, and I also got a $65 online coupon that is stackable...all in all I paid US$389 (inlcuding tax and free shipping) for it.

The review at Anandtech for this model is very encouraging. The LCD panel is the same one as Samsung's 193P, which is supposedly a 24-bit colour one.

At my office I tried Philips Brillinace 18" model which is very good also. Negligible colour shift over a good range of viewing angle and the colours are as good as CRT once the brightness and contrast are properly tweaked in plus running Adobe Gamma.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

if I'm not wrong samsung has zero dead pixel policy..

if that and a 3 year warranty (izzit), maybe price is worth the premium

Quote Originally Posted by loupgarou
    if I'm not wrong samsung has zero dead pixel policy..

if that and a 3 year warranty (izzit), maybe price is worth the premium
    Just to clarify, the major manufacturers do not have dead pixel policies at all. Learnt about this during the IT show, when I was shopping for a panel with a relative:

In terms of warranty, there is a difference between dead pixels and bright pixels.

A bright pixel is termed when there is a pixel that is "stuck" in colour (that means that it shows only 1 color, and does not respond to colour shifts.

A dead pixel is termed when (duh) the pixel does not even light up at all.

What these manufacturers boast is actually zero bright pixel/dot warranty throughout the 3 years, but most of them offer a 7 day 1-1 exchange for both dead and bright pixels.

Samsung (or is it actually Ban Leong?) offers 7 days 1-1 exchange, and after that, 7DP/BP.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Heee.....due credit to Anandtech website. Most referred review of the 2001FP...

But the new drool king is the 23"inch widescreen one. Just launch in US....!!

Got the information from Java Guru...

But however tempting, I'm still sticking with CRT atm. Maybe when these 24 bit 19"ers drop to sub $500 prices then I'll consider.

Regarding zero bright dot etc. If its not in the warranty, its not covered. I actually went to an Eizo dealer in SLS and asked, the salesman said the distributor will cover zero bright dot. I asked whether its stated in the warranty card, he said no, but no problem. I called the distributor, of course they say no such thing.

Dell online prices look ok, just concerned about not being able to test the set before buying...
    Last edited by erwinx; 23rd March 2005 at 08:19 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast