Thread: Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Dc Os Hsm

Default Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Dc Os Hsm

Hi,

I was told by the shops that the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Dc Os Hsm is a good lens for all round photography and i would like to hear views from fellow pentaxians what you think of this set of lens and if the price is worth it.

I would like to use this lens for macro photography of insects, night scene, nature photography and as well as a bit of scenery shots. Also would like to know if the built in OS is effective in preventing soft pictures at high magnification.

Please state the pros and cons if this set of lens is suitable for my style of shooting. Thanks in advance for all comments.

Default Re: Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Dc Os Hsm

Frankly speaking, such all-rounder lens is just that... OK for all situations but neither here nor there..... I like to use the term "Jack of all trades, master of none" on these superzoom.

Don't expect it to product fantastic detailed macro shots like D-FA 100mm macro, and for street scene, don't expect it to be super sharp like DA 21mm for instance... you get the idea.

It may serve as a good travel lens, just bring one body and one lens, then you're covered for a wide range of focal length. So, it's really up to you what it is used for, just my 2 cents
    Last edited by mchew; 3rd January 2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Marvin Chew my flickr
    Be Interesting, Be different!

Quote Originally Posted by goooner View Post
    Hi,

I was told by the shops that the Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Dc Os Hsm is a good lens for all round photography and i would like to hear views from fellow pentaxians what you think of this set of lens and if the price is worth it.

I would like to use this lens for macro photography of insects, night scene, nature photography and as well as a bit of scenery shots. Also would like to know if the built in OS is effective in preventing soft pictures at high magnification.

Please state the pros and cons if this set of lens is suitable for my style of shooting. Thanks in advance for all comments.
    u are asking a bit too much out of a superzoom imo

Quote Originally Posted by mchew View Post
    Frankly speaking, such all-rounder lens is just that... OK for all situations but neither here nor there..... I like to use the term "Jack of all trades, master of none" on these superzoom.

Don't expect it to product fantastic detailed macro shots like D-FA 100mm macro, and for street scene, don't expect it to be super sharp like DA 21mm for instance... you get the idea.

It may serve as a good travel lens, just bring one body and one lens, then you're covered for a wide range of focal length. So, it's really up to you what it is used for, just my 2 cents
    ic... so that explains why the shop keeper took a shot at an indoor scene and it seems that the picture taken does not have the sharpness i expected