Thread: Which zoom lens is better?

Default Which zoom lens is better?

Hi guys, considering to purchase a zoom lens for taking pictures like in the zoo/birdpark. May i know which is a better lens to buy? budget around $400.

Thanks

Default Re: Which zoom lens is better?

Quote Originally Posted by etherealz View Post
    Hi guys, considering to purchase a zoom lens for taking pictures like in the zoo/birdpark. May i know which is a better lens to buy? budget around $400.

Thanks
    DA/DAL 55-300mm

Cheap and good . U can't go wrong with this lens ....
    My Flickr ->Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Supersimon27 View Post
    DA/DAL 55-300mm

Cheap and good . U can't go wrong with this lens ....
    Cool. Tks.. May i know the difference of DA and DAL? Is it the optical that they use? Sorry a newbie here.

thats a good one,

order than that Tam18-200mm
    as a overall walkabout

Optical formula is the same. just that dal version uses plastic lens mount and has no quick shift.

Gotten a Tamron 18-250mm, so far has been reliable. Brought $380 as is second hand. 1st owner used for 5 months only.It's good for walkabout and definitely the one lens u can bring for overseas trip

Hi , given your budget the DA 55 - 300 would be your best bet. This lens will be able to deliver in 90% of the time under good lighting condition.

Just take note that this lens will probably struggle when you attempt to take headshots of the mandrill at 300mm f/5.8 ( esp. when the mandrill is sitting under the shape ) . I think even if you fire the flash, may not help, considering the distance between the subject and you.

Otherwise this is a value for money lens, considering the size, focal length and price. Happy shooting at the zoo .
    Last edited by maverickh; 7th January 2011 at 10:30 PM.

As suggested DA 55-300.
    Best long zoom for the money. My only dislike for it was the slow f5.8 at 300mm which meant that ISO had to be on the high side, esp on cloudy days.
    To me its prowess is at 190mm, which is at f4.5 and matched if not sharper than the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 at f4 (at least on the copy I tried).

Sigma APO DG 70-300 Macro is not bad too. Can be had for about $340.

Thank you all for the recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    As suggested DA 55-300.
    Best long zoom for the money. My only dislike for it was the slow f5.8 at 300mm which meant that ISO had to be on the high side, esp on cloudy days.
    To me its prowess is at 190mm, which is at f4.5 and matched if not sharper than the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 at f4 (at least on the copy I tried).
    wow.. thats a good info to know..
    thanks!

Tamron 18-200mm lens no PP.. only stitch.

Last edited by MarineX; 8th January 2011 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineX View Post
    Tamron 18-200mm lens no PP.. only stitch.

hey marinex, u only pan from the tripod?
    or u moved the tripod too?

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    hey marinex, u only pan from the tripod?
    or u moved the tripod too?
    pan - why ?

If you want to shoot birds or animals DA 55-300 is easily the best budget option. Especially if you can find a DAL version which is even cheaper.

However, if you want something which is more versatile, you might want something which can go wider - Something like the 18-200 or 18-250.

Thus you need to consider your needs as well as what lens you already have - do you already have something that covers this range? Are you comfortable with carrying more than 1 lens, and changing them as needed? etc

The 55-300 output will, more often than not, require less sharpening than any other of the zoom lenses mentioned on this page. Hope this info (which speaks for the IQ capability of the lens) helps you with your decision.

If you have never used such lenses before, you will soon discover that the only major minus point with all the ultra zoom lenses is that they cannot be used as confidently at their longer focal lengths under dim lighting conditions.