Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 JAN Thaipusam, Singapore

Default Re: 2011 JAN Thaipusam, Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    Anyone knows if it is too late if i can only reach after office hours today, can only reach by 7pm.
    Nope its not too late. cos it ends at 12midnight. I wish i could go too. haiz. sad..

Hi all.... though i wanted to see this I just remember this just at 14:00

I'm annoyed at myself now...

I need Info on where to go at / from 1930 today to see what I can see ( IF Anything 0 pls advise me my good CS Folks

THANKS ALL !!!

GT
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive
    Hi all.... though i wanted to see this I just remember this just at 14:00

I'm annoyed at myself now...

I need Info on where to go at / from 1930 today to see what I can see ( IF Anything 0 pls advise me my good CS Folks

THANKS ALL !!!

GT
    Starts from Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple near Farrer park mrt.
    Destination tba since I'm still stuck here.

Planning to do a second round this afternoon and start at Farrer Park but the wifey is on MC. The fake one. Arghh!

Quote Originally Posted by loneWolff View Post
    Starts from Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple near Farrer park mrt.
    Destination tba since I'm still stuck here.
    --- can you update me later pls

I really need to get some photos !!
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Quote Originally Posted by djanco View Post
    I guess it's weekday, so not as crowded.. The event seems to be more tone down this year..
    due to regulations like no musical instruments, no face painting etc. it was in the news recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    Anyone knows if it is too late if i can only reach after office hours today, can only reach by 7pm.
    if im not wrong, the procession ends at 8pm? so u might get the last few kavadi carriers if you're lucky. if u want to get a good vantage point of the procession, just head to the junction of school of the arts and smu. the route passes there and its the most accessible.

if you want to get pictures of the piercings and preparation, then head to the temple at farrer park mrt. but by 7pm might be a little too late.

Deregistered

I think I eat and drink more than I shoot.
    Too full to move, dark sinister clouds looming around.

Quote Originally Posted by loneWolff

Going down there now. Maybe you can give me a beep if you don't mind some company (not in the sexual way)
    I'm in red T-shirt, white pants with black bag.
    Hey sorry I've just read your message and I'm on my way home already. But I think I saw you, You're the only one with the camo cap right?

Nothing much to see anymore, I asked some of the organizers, they told me it's just gonna be some prayer stuffs happening after the procession.

I need sleep!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by skeeg

Hey sorry I've just read your message and I'm on my way home already. But I think I saw you, You're the only one with the camo cap right?

Nothing much to see anymore, I asked some of the organizers, they told me it's just gonna be some prayer stuffs happening after the procession.

I need sleep!
    No worries man. I'm stuck at the front of the temple. Hungry again

I think I eat and drink more than I shoot.
    Too full to move, dark sinister clouds looming around.

No worries man. I'm stuck at the front of the temple. Hungry again
    LOL you have a monster appetite.
    Last edited by digitalpimp; 20th January 2011 at 06:38 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp

LOL you have a monster appetite.
    I got a permanent ban from some buffet establishment which has already closed down.
    The only one standing I had to pay a penalty of $60 as my friend cannot finish his share of the last 10 plates of shabu shabu wagyu.
    I can't help him as I'm full from my 40 plates of wagyu, angus and kurobuta, not counting the 10 plates of sashimi I had before that.

I saw also the one with the camo cap near the temple. Nice shooting! I enjoyed also though alone. Batt qent flat and no back up. Heehe

I got a permanent ban from some buffet establishment which has already closed down.
    The only one standing I had to pay a penalty of $60 as my friend cannot finish his share of the last 10 plates of shabu shabu wagyu.
    I can't help him as I'm full from my 40 plates of wagyu, angus and kurobuta, not counting the 10 plates of sashimi I had before that.
    Hahaha. I have a Bachelor's Degree majoring in Buffet. My reputation is quite sinister as well. I think you got competition now LOL. How's your Thaipusam experience by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp View Post
    How's your Thaipusam experience by the way?
    i was there from 12am till 730am. spent about 2 hours along the route, 2 hours in the temple, and 2 hours walking barefooted with the devotees along the procession route. super shagged! reached home at 830 and zonked out till 1230pm. skipped class.

it was an eyeopening experience for me since it was my first time and all. and goodness the number of leicas i saw! making me envious. i really wanted to come up to any of em and ask permission to fondle their gear, but paiseh lah.

begin rant: equally large in numbers were the bruce gilden's of singapore with their strobes and machine gunning. cant fathom why anyone would strobe people in the faces. different strokes for different folks i guess.

there were those who moved amongst the crowd, compose and shoot and move on. those with dslr's and telescopes tend to hog the prime spots and snap to their hearts content, ignoring other photogs attempt to get into position. kena shoved aside (albeit quite gently) quite a couple of times. a friend of mine shooting film had quite a few shots ruined cos someone with a zoom lens just jumped in front of him.

pretty ugly behaviour i must say. some treat the devotees like objects and not human beings. i guess its a personal thing but yeah. i'm sorry if some find offense in what i've said but it was just my observation and personal point of view. like i said different strokes for different folks. /end rant.

if anyone's interested in my pics, you can check em out here on facebook.. they were taken with my lumix g1 with minolta 50/1.7.
    Last edited by hydroburn249; 20th January 2011 at 08:14 PM.

I agree with hydroburn249, the organizers have already posted online to advise against the use of flash and yet we still see so many flashes firing off during the event. The most repulsive part was that the flashes were pointed directly towards the devotees and some even resorted to using high power continuous video lights. For those who are shooting for the first time or are trying to get a particular type of shot, I don't mind them standing at the prime spots because it does help in getting the shots that they want. This is provided that they give up their spots after some time to the other photographers that had arrived at the venue. On a lighter note, I did see one or two guys giving way to the people shooting with rangefinders or medium format cameras so that they would not waste their film/slides with ruined shots, truly commendable!

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpimp
    How's your Thaipusam experience by the way?
    I have a feeling that I will be throwing away 90% of the pictures except the 100 odd pictures of that cute photographer in white shirt and shorts (female with Nikon camera hoh).
    Joking lah, just took one picture of her as she is the type that makes my heart pound.
    I use my lumix GH1 with 20mm/F1.7 in the temple and evening time as flash is not allowed.
    14-45mm/F3.5-5.6 for shooting in broad daylight.
    I might have been one of the jokers who held onto a prime location as I was along the devotee path shooting instead of behind the barricade.
    I stay at certain spots for an average of 15 to 30min to shoot certain scenes.
    My apologies to those who might be upset by me (guy wearing red shirt, black bag and a camo hat)
    Of course that is to those who shoot with zoom lens.
    MF or rangefinder I don't care as I got a third eye to avoid blocking them since they take forever to focus.
    There's no way you can miss them unless your eyes are glued to the viewfinder.

I have a feeling that I will be throwing away 90% of the pictures except the 100 odd pictures of that cute photographer in white shirt and shorts (female with Nikon camera hoh).
    Joking lah, just took one picture of her as she is the type that makes my heart pound.
    I use my lumix GH1 with 20mm/F1.7 in the temple and evening time as flash is not allowed.
    I might have been one of the jokers who held onto a prime location as I was along the devotee path shooting instead of behind the barricade.
    My apologies to those who might be upset by me (guy wearing red shirt, black bag and a camo hat)
    MF or rangefinder I don't care as I got a third eye to avoid blocking them since they take forever to focus.

Dude, i dont know bout you but no they dont take forever to focus, its people jumping in the way that spoils the shot, just like autofocus if someones head pops up id hardly believe youd still take that shot, and its called graciousness if someone takes long does that mean they dont deserve their place? Not trying to argue just trying to understand your statement. think i saw you, your positioning was fine

anyways ive uploaded onto my flickr the thaipusam photos if anyone wants to look

cheers,
    amrit

Deregistered

I think a lot of people saw me.
    Which fashion idiot would wear a green camo hat, red T-shirt, desert color pants and a black command n conquer bag.
    It just reek of nerdness, time to put an ugly face to that profile of mine.

I think a lot of people saw me.
    Which fashion idiot would wear a green camo hat, red T-shirt, desert color pants and a black command n conquer bag.
    It just reek of nerdness, time to put an ugly face to that profile of mine.
    Haha, I wonder, maybe someone who labels himself as a "LONE"wolff

its not about camping at a secluded spot to take a picture. it's about camping infront of a devotee being pierced/praying etc and not letting others have a chance of taking the picture. be gracious and share you know?

the least someone could do was wait till the shot was taken and then move infront of someone. i personally waited for the sound of the mirror flap or seeing the photog chimping before i signal to him if i could step infront and take my shot. basic etiquette i guess.

ooh yes speaking of cute girls! there were so many cute girl photogs! hahah.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast