Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 JAN Thaipusam, Singapore

Default Re: 2011 JAN Thaipusam, Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by thejoggingmat View Post
    Shld be enuff...
    Thanks a bunch!

Anyone knows the detailed schedule for this? like what time the devotees will shave their heads/pierce themselves? Where and what time is the best to start shooting?
    Last edited by skeeg; 17th January 2011 at 11:00 AM.

feel like going, last week of holiday

Arrow Re: 2011 JAN Thaipusam, Singapore

SPF Media Releases.

Traffic Arrangements For Thaipusam 2011

Thaipusam 2011 will be held on Thursday, 20 January 2011 . A religious foot procession from Sri Sinivasa Perumal Temple at Serangoon Road to Sri Thandayuthapani Temple at Tank Road will commence from 0001 hrs on 20 January 2011 and end at 0001 hrs on 21 January 2011 .

To facilitate the event, the following roads will be closed during the stipulated timings.

http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2011/11011..._thaipusam.htm

Anyone who will go for shoot from start to finish? =)

Fire walking and Thaipusam are 2 separate things guys.

Anyone going K.L. for this? Batu caves.

Quote Originally Posted by naresh666 View Post
    Fire walking and Thaipusam are 2 separate things guys.
    The fire walking starts at what time?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeg View Post
    The fire walking starts at what time?
    I think what he meant for there are two seperate events, not the same. The one thats happening on thursday is Thaipusam, where you see all the poking, piercing, hymns singing and procession to give thanks to Lord Murugan (iirc).

The fire walking is another event that was held last year in sept or oct (iirc).
    ( Documenting the Human Condition | Flickr )

it's a pity this year Thaipusam falls on a weekday, should be lesser photo enthusiasts as compared to last year saturday crowd

nevertheless, applied leave to shoot this coming thurs, can't wait!!! hope the weather is good

i dug out 2010 photos yesterday night, did some selections + B/W conversion and a slideshow, hope i can get better shots this yr

i wanna experience this. is there a photographer gathering for this?

i want to shoot too, but need to rent 70-200mm tomorrow for the event, whew.

So the main kavadi carrying event is on thursday night right?

Quote Originally Posted by theRenaissance View Post
    I think what he meant for there are two seperate events, not the same. The one thats happening on thursday is Thaipusam, where you see all the poking, piercing, hymns singing and procession to give thanks to Lord Murugan (iirc).

The fire walking is another event that was held last year in sept or oct (iirc).
    Oh I see. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dexpense View Post
    it's a pity this year Thaipusam falls on a weekday, should be lesser photo enthusiasts as compared to last year saturday crowd

nevertheless, applied leave to shoot this coming thurs, can't wait!!! hope the weather is good

i dug out 2010 photos yesterday night, did some selections + B/W conversion and a slideshow, hope i can get better shots this yr
    Any advice for a first timer shooting the event? I am contemplating on whether I should be there already by 12am

I've not shoot for 2 yrs..before that been shooting 3 yrs straight...might me going in the early hours tomorrow...hope to see some of u there..

Hi guys! Me got info from ma indian colleague. She mentioned that the rituals will start from midnight 2nite and all the way till 8pm 2mrw.

So she said we can go anytime. Make sure ur dressing is appropriate.

Me will be going! Most probably in d morning ard 0630hrs
    Kate Isya

Quote Originally Posted by Fireemblem View Post
    So the main kavadi carrying event is on thursday night right?
    It's starts from tonight bro after 1200hrs and ends at thursday 2000hrs

Oh I see. Thanks!

Any advice for a first timer shooting the event? I am contemplating on whether I should be there already by 12am
    How long you intend to shoot? I reckon 3am is a good time to go, right in the middle of all that action. That's if you wanna capture the night scene, else you can start from early morning like 6-7 onwards but it be different already.

How long you intend to shoot? I reckon 3am is a good time to go, right in the middle of all that action. That's if you wanna capture the night scene, else you can start from early morning like 6-7 onwards but it be different already.
    I took a one-day leave for this so I'll be dedicating my whole Thursday shooting the festival.
    I think I'll shoot from 6am until it's finished. I won't be missing any good moments before 6am right?

Thanks for the advice!

I took a one-day leave for this so I'll be dedicating my whole Thursday shooting the festival.
    I think I'll shoot from 6am until it's finished. I won't be missing any good moments before 6am right?

Thanks for the advice!
    Kudos to your determination bro! Hmm, it depends. Because in the night it's where all the preparation starts for the earlier slots. And shooting at night is cooler and there's this different mood to it as compared to day. Not saying it's better or what, but it's up to individual. I'll be there from 3am onwards!

Deregistered

I will be there in the morning, no fast lens or any TTL flash and my camera suffer from low light issue (small sensor lah).

Maybe can meet any of your guys for guidance if I know how to spot you people, noob here shooting my first Thaipusam.

Kudos to your determination bro! Hmm, it depends. Because in the night it's where all the preparation starts for the earlier slots. And shooting at night is cooler and there's this different mood to it as compared to day. Not saying it's better or what, but it's up to individual. I'll be there from 3am onwards!
    If that's the case, I'm willing to start at 12am. But transpo is hard though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast