Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Fetish

  1. #1

    Default Fetish

    Is it me only... Have this fetish for big apertures.
    Am I the only sucker or do you share the same fetish?
    My thoughts are that the bigger the better but I'm sure some of you may disagree.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fetish

    Right aperture for the right job. DOF matters.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Fetish

    I believe anyone entering the photography hobby and being exposed to thin dof, will have some sort of fetish over it.
    but as they shoot more and realize what they need / want to achieve, they will choose the right aperture for the picture

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fetish

    Yeah, I am sure you are the only one who has such a fetish. Everyone else here looks for smaller lenses with tiny apertures.
    Ok lah, truly your "fetish" is a very common condition.

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,394

    Default Re: Fetish

    Quote Originally Posted by thelight View Post
    Is it me only... Have this fetish for big apertures.
    Am I the only sucker or do you share the same fetish?
    My thoughts are that the bigger the better but I'm sure some of you may disagree.
    Typical human 'focus error'
    Aperture is a tool, not the purpose.
    EOS

  6. #6
    Member willdoang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    east, near dakota MRT
    Posts
    1,550

    Default Re: Fetish

    Quote Originally Posted by wdEvA View Post
    I believe anyone entering the photography hobby and being exposed to thin dof, will have some sort of fetish over it.
    but as they shoot more and realize what they need / want to achieve, they will choose the right aperture for the picture
    so true
    i buy i sell i use, repeat, such are the vicious endless cycle of GAS

  7. #7

    Default

    Can understand the fetish, in fact I suspect the bokeh effect us what possesss many to buy a dslr in the first place! But as mentioned earlier, the right aperture is needed for the right photo. I do find myself using larger apertures whenever possible for subject isolation though.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fetish

    Haha. Thank you guys. Comforting to know I not that all alone. Probably the reason why 'large' is good for me is I have not learnt the art of flash photography and needed that extra 'light'. Mostly take my pics in dim light.
    I will try to seek professional help to wean off my fetish meanwhile.
    Cheers.

  9. #9
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Fetish

    For protraits - i like to shoot at bigger apertures but not wide open. I like to isolate my subjects in portrait shots most of the time. Usually f2 or f2.8 cos i know i do not have the skills yet to control my DOF that well. If shot at wide open, DOF is very shallow and OOF may occurs if i did not handled properly.

    For general landscape - i usually shoot from f5.6-f11 depending on scenarios and condition.

    For street shoots - i will usually shoot from f2.8 - f4. I dun want too much isolation here.
    Last edited by sinned79; 3rd January 2011 at 02:48 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fetish

    Quote Originally Posted by sinned79 View Post
    For protraits - i like to shoot at bigger apertures but not wide open. I like to isolate my subjects in portrait shots most of the time. Usually f2 or f2.8 cos i know i do not have the skills yet to control my DOF that well. If shot at wide open, DOF is very shallow and OOF may occurs if i did not handled properly.

    For general landscape - i usually shoot from f5.6-f11 depending on scenarios and condition.

    For street shoots - i will usually shoot from f2.8 - f4. I dun want too much isolation here.
    Yes I agree. I usually stop down 2-3 stops. Read that it'll produce best results.
    Btw, enjoy your work sinned.
    Thanx.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,850

    Default Re: Fetish

    Quote Originally Posted by thelight View Post
    Btw, enjoy your work sinned.
    Thanx.
    Thanks too!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •