Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Do you know Vivian Maier?

  1. #1

    Default Do you know Vivian Maier?

    I post it here as i couldn't find any section more appropriate. An amazing story. It took my breath away!

    No fanciful equipment but this lady shall be amongst the great masters. I can easily imagine her work being clamored for when the word really gets out. Should somehow be in line for a posthumous award.

    http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,...niVH2LakYxNa7J

    http://www.vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

    Wonder why she didn't venture into full time photography instead of just being a nanny.
    Last edited by divinemoment; 2nd January 2011 at 07:43 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    We all know her since this was posted quite a few days ago.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823525
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    We all know her since this was posted quite a few days ago.

    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823525
    Thousand apologies. Didn't know that.

  4. #4
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    Quote Originally Posted by divinemoment View Post
    I post it here as i couldn't find any section more appropriate. An amazing story. It took my breath away!

    No fanciful equipment but this lady shall be amongst the great masters. I can easily imagine her work being clamored for when the word really gets out. Should somehow be in line for a posthumous award.

    http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=42,8,...niVH2LakYxNa7J

    http://www.vivianmaier.blogspot.com/

    Wonder why she didn't venture into full time photography instead of just being a nanny.
    divinemoment, I think as mentioned in the video, this Vivian Maier was a very private person.
    And as her employer spoke of her as somebody a little erratic like Mary Poppin, I think she would have taken her hobby with as much passion as her full time work - being a Nanny.
    I believe for a person like this, the end-products would be for herself to enjoy and appreciate on her own.

    Now that 26 year old young man, the property agent, is going to be rich.
    Next time you and I come across some old boxes of old negatives, we must look through them carefully...
    And put up on the blog too...

  5. #5

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    divinemoment, I think as mentioned in the video, this Vivian Maier was a very private person.
    And as her employer spoke of her as somebody a little erratic like Mary Poppin, I think she would have taken her hobby with as much passion as her full time work - being a Nanny.
    I believe for a person like this, the end-products would be for herself to enjoy and appreciate on her own.

    Now that 26 year old young man, the property agent, is going to be rich.
    Next time you and I come across some old boxes of old negatives, we must look through them carefully...
    And put up on the blog too...
    I'm no lawyer but I think if that bloke has already purchased it (at a meager price of $400), perhaps its his rights to do anything with it regardless what the decease wish. He is now sitting on a treasure trove.

    But as you said next time if we come across some old boxes of negatives, I'm going to pay at least a dollar (its adequate enough in law though not sufficient in substance) to get it release to gain full rights to the "trash" - just in case mah. Ha ha.

  6. #6
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    Quote Originally Posted by divinemoment View Post
    I'm no lawyer but I think if that bloke has already purchased it (at a meager price of $400), perhaps its his rights to do anything with it regardless what the decease wish. He is now sitting on a treasure trove.

    But as you said next time if we come across some old boxes of negatives, I'm going to pay at least a dollar (its adequate enough in law though not sufficient in substance) to get it release to gain full rights to the "trash" - just in case mah. Ha ha.
    Ok, let's search together, you and I... haha...

  7. #7
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    Firstly she has an eye for great interesting street candids, and i do not doubt she was a master in her own rights.

    But also as a side point, sometimes post humous art confers much inflated recognition beyond previous undistinguishment, probably because the works are percieved as finally timeless , and ( limited ) somewhat

    Ryan

  8. #8

    Default Re: Do you know Vivian Maier?

    Quote Originally Posted by divinemoment View Post
    I'm no lawyer but I think if that bloke has already purchased it (at a meager price of $400), perhaps its his rights to do anything with it regardless what the decease wish. He is now sitting on a treasure trove.

    But as you said next time if we come across some old boxes of negatives, I'm going to pay at least a dollar (its adequate enough in law though not sufficient in substance) to get it release to gain full rights to the "trash" - just in case mah. Ha ha.
    I think it's easier to strike a lottery than to find thrown-away negatives of Vivian Maier's standard.
    D200

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •