Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: SMC's power to fine is limited to $10,000.

  1. #1

    Lightbulb SMC's power to fine is limited to $10,000.

    Singapore Medical Council's power is grossly inadequate, considering the monies medical doctors make here. The law should be reviewed and additional powers to be given to SMC.

    Grace Polyclinic's licensee, ex Doc Chia fined $10,000 for the many counts of charges he was guilty of. Medical doctors are exempted from the clutches of central narcotics bureau.

    Afternote: ex doc Chia has been struck off the register by SMC.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    Singapore Medical Council's power is grossly inadequate, considering the monies medical doctors make here. The law should be reviewed and additional powers to be given to SMC.

    Grace Polyclinic's licensee, ex Doc Chia fined $10,000 for the many counts of charges he was guilty of. Medical doctors are exempted from the clutches of central narcotics bureau.

    Afternote: ex doc Chia has been struck off the register by SMC.
    And exactly how much do medical doctors make here??

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bukit Timah
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Do the drug companies pay these doctors commission based on the number of pills they can move across the counter?

  4. #4

    Default

    $10k is about what they make in 1-2 months.

    Per month
    GP : $4k-$10k
    Specialist : $10k-$40k

  5. #5

    Default

    GPs are kind of at low end. A young GP makes more than $4k a month. With experienced GPs running their own practice, $10k fine can be paid off with a month's earnings.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    GPs are kind of at low end. A young GP makes more than $4k a month. With experienced GPs running their own practice, $10k fine can be paid off with a month's earnings.
    And 4K to 10K a month is a lot of monies??? I know of cabbies who make 3K+ a month. Top hairdressers can easily gross > 10K. Don't forget, the brief of the SMC goes far beyond monetary penalties, many of these errant docs have been slapped with lengthy suspensions or even struck off. Its like saying the LTA should be allowed to fine motorists $100K for speeding, its the wrong tool in the wrong hands.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default

    actually depending on popularity of the GP and if he or she is part of a established setup, can range from 6-20k.

    dkw: being strike off from SMC doesn't really mean anything, they can always go overseas to countries that are not under the Commonwealth to work again. (outright example is the Dr who went over to england? and took up another job) I agree with you about the part "wrong tool in wrong hands" Do you have any other suggestions for punishment?
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptwong
    dkw: being strike off from SMC doesn't really mean anything, they can always go overseas to countries that are not under the Commonwealth to work again. (outright example is the Dr who went over to england? and took up another job) I agree with you about the part "wrong tool in wrong hands" Do you have any other suggestions for punishment?
    Absolutely and totally wrong! Being struck off the rolls is the end of the career for a doc here and anywhere else around the developed world. No self-respecting health authority will register you to practise as a physician if you have been found to be guilty of gross misconduct. If you are talking about the Simon Shorvon case, please get the facts of the case correct, he was holding a senior position at a London hospital, and was on secondment to NNI to be the head and help establish a research infrastructure. He was never 'struck off' the rolls here and always continued to hold his registration in the UK. No such recourse exists for physicians registered solely in Singapore, which I guess would be more than 90%! So, far from "it doesn't mean anything", it means EVERYTHING.
    What I'm saying is that a severe censure/suspension/removal from register is far worse than a $150K fine, far more of a disincentive, and is more than sufficient.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkw
    Absolutely and totally wrong! Being struck off the rolls is the end of the career for a doc here and anywhere else around the developed world. No self-respecting health authority will register you to practise as a physician if you have been found to be guilty of gross misconduct. If you are talking about the Simon Shorvon case, please get the facts of the case correct, he was holding a senior position at a London hospital, and was on secondment to NNI to be the head and help establish a research infrastructure. He was never 'struck off' the rolls here and always continued to hold his registration in the UK. No such recourse exists for physicians registered solely in Singapore, which I guess would be more than 90%! So, far from "it doesn't mean anything", it means EVERYTHING.
    What I'm saying is that a severe censure/suspension/removal from register is far worse than a $150K fine, far more of a disincentive, and is more than sufficient.
    Ha...thanks for the facts, guess i got mine facts screwed anyway, just to share something with you, A friend of mine who got struck off here, went over to south america, set up a practice and is doing pretty well. and according to him quite a few doctors have done that also. That's why to me is not a big deal.
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptwong
    Ha...thanks for the facts, guess i got mine facts screwed anyway, just to share something with you, A friend of mine who got struck off here, went over to south america, set up a practice and is doing pretty well. and according to him quite a few doctors have done that also. That's why to me is not a big deal.
    Thanks. That's a useful bit of info should I ever need it.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CCK
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptwong
    Ha...thanks for the facts, guess i got mine facts screwed anyway, just to share something with you, A friend of mine who got struck off here, went over to south america, set up a practice and is doing pretty well. and according to him quite a few doctors have done that also. That's why to me is not a big deal.
    Guess what , looks like I was the one who messed up some facts. Shorvon WAS struck off eventually. I had been following the case closely up till the point the MOH report was released, must have happened after that. I apologise. But the fact remains that being struck off is no trivial punishment. Your point about SA is an interesting one though.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter
    Thanks. That's a useful bit of info should I ever need it.
    I hope you never need to use this info though....
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •