Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash : is SB400 sufficient?

Default Re: Flash : is SB400 sufficient?

Do you think SB400 will be a good couple with D3s during traveling? Tempting to get one for my soon to get D3s...not like what other bros mentioned, EOL

Got my SB-400 from ddelectronics.com.sg. Price was $163; less 5% if you pay cash. Although the website seemes to have upped the prices recently. They require self collection though since they don't deliver locally. Physical shop is in Chinatown.

Flash itself is nice and small and compact and really fast on the refresh. I've been using it on my new D7000 and it works fine although it is not listed on the D7000 manual as a compatible accessory since it is effectively discontinued.
    Last edited by moonbugs; 28th January 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki View Post
    i would recommend a SB700/600 for it's extra reach and ability to customize.
    Just bought the SB 700 b'cause shops don't carry 400... 700 (360g w/o 4 battery) is too heavy to carry around for macro shots - fingers numb from carrying the camera + flash combo

Will still want to get the SB 400 (128g w/o 2 AA battery) one of these days...

Quote Originally Posted by DM101

Just bought the SB 700 b'cause shops don't carry 400... 700 (360g w/o 4 battery) is too heavy to carry around for macro shots - fingers numb from carrying the camera + flash combo

Will still want to get the SB 400 (128g w/o 2 AA battery) one of these days...
    You can use the wireless function you know. Not necessary to put on your
    Camera hotshoe.

i saw SB400 when i dropped by iphoto last week.

look for Raymond, he might be able to help u.

Get the sb400 and the sc29 ttl cord, it will work wonders as fill flash. with the cord u can use your left hand to shoot the flash from an angle or even just tilt ur hand to the ceiling when u are taking a portrait shot, removing issues of no bounce flash when taking portrait. SB 400 fills its role well, its made to be small light and not for high output purposes, so i do not think you should go for say a sb 600 or 700 if your purpose for it is minimal.

I just bought an SB-600 (quite hard to find everyone no stock) and although i admit its very value for money and opens a lot of doors (remote firing etc) but its weight makes it no longer that fun to carry around and shoot. i use a d90+ tamy 17-50 w SB600 and the weight distribution is plain weird. my wrist hurt from carrying it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12