Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 24-120 nikkor vr2

  1. #1

    Default 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Hi was thinking if anyone tried this lens on a aps-c instead of FF? yet to find any reviews online with aps-c body. Looking one to replace the 18-55mm kit lens with a longer range. Thanks.
    D5000 | Nikkor AF-S 18-55 VR 3.5-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 55-200 VR 4-5.6G | Nikkor AF-S 35mm F1.8 | SB600

  2. #2

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Here is the link to the test on both cropped sensor and full frame body:

    AFS 24-120 f/4 G Test on D300s and D3x
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  3. #3

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    if you see yourself upgrading to a FF within a year, or if you already have a WA lens... then by all means go for it
    Playing with M43.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Quote Originally Posted by almighty00 View Post
    Hi was thinking if anyone tried this lens on a aps-c instead of FF? yet to find any reviews online with aps-c body. Looking one to replace the 18-55mm kit lens with a longer range. Thanks.
    I took D7000 w/24-120 for an holiday recently, I found it to be adequate for my purpose (quite subjective from person to person on shooting style), I shot mainly scenery, landscape, architecture and small group photos. In fact, I did not miss the wider 18mm of my 18-200mm, which I did not use during the trip (brought along in case). I think it make an excellent upgrade for your 18-55mm kit lens, however, you need to note the lens is lot more heavier and bulky compare to the kit lens.

    I really like the 24-120 lens, I will bring it for future holiday as a walkabout lens.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Telok Blangah
    Posts
    116

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    I am using this lens with my D7000 as well.
    Quite love it except that it is a waste for the wide angle of 24mm since it is cropped on DX body!
    But I plan to upgade to FF sooner or later so i get this lens instead of DX lenses.
    Nikon D7000 || AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR

  6. #6

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Quote Originally Posted by Kopiroti View Post
    I took D7000 w/24-120 for an holiday recently, I found it to be adequate for my purpose (quite subjective from person to person on shooting style), I shot mainly scenery, landscape, architecture and small group photos. In fact, I did not miss the wider 18mm of my 18-200mm, which I did not use during the trip (brought along in case). I think it make an excellent upgrade for your 18-55mm kit lens, however, you need to note the lens is lot more heavier and bulky compare to the kit lens.

    I really like the 24-120 lens, I will bring it for future holiday as a walkabout lens.
    Focal lengths aside, with the highter cost & extra weight, does it really make a significant difference in IQ in your opinion? I believe the 24-120 distortions are more obvious as indicated in some reviews? Was considering the 24-120 over the 18-200 I have. Tks.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd January 2011 at 11:42 AM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Focal lengths aside, with the highter cost & extra weight, does it really make a significant difference in IQ in your opinion? I believe the 24-120 distortions are more obvious as indicated in some reviews? Was considering the 24-120 over the 18-200 I have. Tks.
    Second that.

    As additional, barrel distortion of the new f/4 Nikon lenses, 24-120 f/4 VR and 16-35 f/4 VR are more obvious as indicated in some reviews. I also was considering a replacement of 18-200 I have. Thanks.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  8. #8
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    You peeps are aware that Photozone.de has added their reviews right?
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  9. #9

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    No lah, I am just a late bird Online reviews aside, since someone has both lens & share first hand experience, personal opinion would be useful though not the last word. And the Photozone review is not on the f4 version?
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd January 2011 at 10:33 PM.

  10. #10
    New Member kriegsketten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Enclave
    Posts
    2,560

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    It is being reviewed on a D3X, so you need to look at the FX section, not the DX area.
    Myflickr | Zoom in for the KILL!

  11. #11

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Thanks bro for the info & clarification. Just that like TS, I am on DX & am curious about its performance under APS-C... & someone seems to prefer it to the 18-200 which I own.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 2nd January 2011 at 10:59 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    Here is the link to the test on both cropped sensor and full frame body:

    AFS 24-120 f/4 G Test on D300s and D3x
    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Thanks bro for the info & clarification. Just that like TS, I am on DX & am curious about its performance under APS-C... & someone seems to prefer it to the 18-200 which I own.
    Above is the link to test of 24-120 f/4VR on both DX and FX body
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    Quote Originally Posted by s1221ljc View Post
    Focal lengths aside, with the highter cost & extra weight, does it really make a significant difference in IQ in your opinion? I believe the 24-120 distortions are more obvious as indicated in some reviews? Was considering the 24-120 over the 18-200 I have. Tks.
    Bros, I don't think I can give you a fair technical comparison on the two lenses as I am not technical.

    I have been shooting slr and dslr for many years, though not so much on Nikon (until D7000) but Canon. I find 18-200 is very good general purpose lens to carry around, but at 11x zoom you don't expect to get sharp picture all round as some focal lengths would be soft. At 72mm filter size versus 77mm filter size, one can already guessed the bigger optical lens size of 24-120f4 will give you a bigger sweet spot, and the corner to corner would be lot sharper too.

    For scenic holiday I prefer to carry a higher quality (even though shorter zoom) lens, I find 24-120f4 is sharp throughout and I like the relative fast constant f4 and VR. It is a compromise between getting 24-70 f2.8 (which is the best lens) but I like the 24-120 extra focal length coverage and VR.

    As for cost I think it is quite subjective comparing to the expensive holiday memory, the slight weight increase does not bother me as carry a dslr is already consider heavy by lot of folks even for D3100 with a kit lens.
    Last edited by Kopiroti; 4th January 2011 at 08:33 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    I'm also interested in getting this as a replacement for my 18-105 as a walkabout. But because the 18-105 is already decently sharp, I'm not quite sure if its going to be worth the cost.

    For the 18-200, I've always found it to be a bit soft, even compared to the 18-105. So I think there would be a significant difference for those users in terms of sharpness.

  15. #15

    Default Re: 24-120 nikkor vr2

    24-120mm is a good lens. for me i think.
    use on my d300
    the main different compare to 18-105mm are mainly the built quality, color rendition, VR.
    is more like a walkabout lens with hell lotta convenience for me.

    still bring along my UWA & 50mm if possible.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •