Thread: spyder 3 Express color tone towards yellowish?

Default spyder 3 Express color tone towards yellowish?

Hi,

Need some help here. After i did my 1st calibration, notice the color tone is now more towards yellowish.

I suppose is not normal here.

Also I like to know the pre-condition i should follow before the calibration:
    1) brightness of my laptop to maximum?
    2) Should i turn off the light in my room? I read forum did mention about this
    3) Should i calibrate during the day time?
    4) I suppose i need to use laptop color to default setting

What i did already:
    1) i already turn on my laptop for more then an hr before calibrate
    2) set my desktop background using a grey color

Any other i should take note before i calibrate?

Default Re: spyder 3 Express color tone towards yellowish?

Spyder 3 has the built in ambient light sensor.

As such, the room lighting should be set based on your daily working environment. And no need to change the monitor brightness to the max prior the calibration. People usually recalibrate the monitor every month.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    Spyder 3 has the built in ambient light sensor.

As such, the room lighting should be set based on your daily working environment. And no need to change the monitor brightness to the max prior the calibration. People usually recalibrate the monitor every month.
    but Spyder 3 Express do not have this function. Only Spyder 3 Pro has.

So is it normal to looks yellowish?

if i am not wrong, u need to revert all the monitor settings to default. u don't need to set the background to grey.

what i used to do, i would do the calibration at night in total darkness. i do not let the ambient affect the calibration in any way.

the results usually are on the warmer side because default settings are usually on the cool side on monitors. match it to your prints to see how far off they are and adjust accordingly after that.

just get a black (velvet) cloth cover the whole monitor while doing calibration, don't have to wait till mid night.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Just did another calibration with lights off in the room. The result still the same on.. more towards yellowish. Is this the warmer tone as claim?

Quote Originally Posted by aklryan View Post
    Just did another calibration with lights off in the room. The result still the same on.. more towards yellowish. Is this the warmer tone as claim?

Does Spyder3 Express offer color temp selection?

if the color temp is ~5500K, it will appear warmer. try choosing 6500K daylight.

maybe certain laptop have different colour tones compared to desktop after calibration due to the lcd blah blah blah.. my laptop has some green cast after calibration with my spyder 3pro or maybe im the rare one to have this issue. anyway i dont work on laptop so not a big issue.

as for calibration different ppl have different ways to calibrate it and i dont think there's a must do way for it. some ppl calibrate in dark, some with lights on, some in daytime and maybe some in all dark, lights on and daytime. it's depends on your working environment i suppose.

not all calibrated monitor (with different brands) will looks exactly the same it will or might have slight difference in it but more or less looks the same.
    Last edited by KelvinDestiny; 2nd January 2011 at 02:15 AM.

To KurtLim, the temperature is fix at 6500k for Spyder 3 Express. I guess should be opposite if the temperature is set towards the lower side, the color will be towards blue. I may thought now if i can lower my temperature to 5000k or 5800k...maybe i looks more comfortable on the yellowish tone.

To Kelvin, nowadays the laptop is using LED screen, not sure got any differences? But base on your saying, can say if now once my laptop monitor already calibrator, i don't really have to care so much on the color display tone more toward yellowish?

PS: I notice something now at 1130am, my house outside now is a bright sunny day. The color tone is like what i am seeing now on my laptop........

Is your laptop glossy screen

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Is your laptop glossy screen
    yes is glossy screen

I'd suppose that you're simply not used to the new calibrated screen. It's like when I first switched to Nikon from Canon, feeling the colours seem awkward, after months it became perfectly fine to my eyes.

yes is glossy screen
    I used to use glossy laptop, the Spyder2express made it yellowish.

Now using matt screen, looks ok to me.

Simple thing is look at a bnw photo, if it seems yellow, try to calibrate in total darkness, it should help a little.

To KurtLim, the temperature is fix at 6500k for Spyder 3 Express. I guess should be opposite if the temperature is set towards the lower side, the color will be towards blue. I may thought now if i can lower my temperature to 5000k or 5800k...maybe i looks more comfortable on the yellowish tone.

To Kelvin, nowadays the laptop is using LED screen, not sure got any differences? But base on your saying, can say if now once my laptop monitor already calibrator, i don't really have to care so much on the color display tone more toward yellowish?

PS: I notice something now at 1130am, my house outside now is a bright sunny day. The color tone is like what i am seeing now on my laptop........
    You got it wrong, the lower the Kelvin or K, the warmer the color, and vice versus.

image taken from Wikipedia. sorry for the huge file, but I don't want to alter the graph.

Spyder calibration software isn't know for high accuracy. you may download the 14 days fully functional basICColor Display calibration software to double check.

Last edited by kurtlim; 6th January 2011 at 01:00 AM.

Correctly calibrated, monitors tend to go to the warm side because, by default, most are set to the cool (blue) side from the factory. If you have the more recent MBP's, you'll notice less change. HTH.

Using this on my 2yrs+ Samsung LCD monitor. Sorry to hear you experiencing such issue. During calibriation, i just follow their instructions on Spyder express software, didn't encounter problem before. Did you tried to contact the Datacolor Support?

Perhaps is right to say i am not get use the warm tone.

I contacted Data color and got an advise from them. What they suggested me to do it:
    1) Mentioned the warm tone will gets better after a few days.
    2) they provided me a tool to reset the Sypder Express software so allow me to re-do the
    calibration again
    3) Lower down the brightness of the laptop display
    4) Also advise to try to set to use "Native LCD" before the calibration

I think i got a better feel to the display after that especially after i re-adjust back the brightness to max.

To Kurtlim, i think you are right on the Kelvin concept... I some how mix up when i do some research on the website.