Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunset at Macritchie Reservoir

Default Re: Sunset at Macritchie Reservoir

Like previously mentioned, the sky looks really plain (ie. boring) at this time. And the focus of the pic is not strong enough, (i'm assuming its the floating platform). I don't know if cropping the top would help, because the reflections look more interesting. It does give an overall serene feel, but somehow it falls flat at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    You are shooting at f11. You can go down a stop to f8 and half your shutter speed, without losing noticeable DOF. Not in this picture anyway.

Since you say there "may be a need for a longer exposure", as there are "other considerations", could you enlighten me what these considerations are?
    ah i get what you meant.

one of the considerations could be dependant on the lightings in the environment? assuming that the f-stop remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by alzidaney View Post
    Like previously mentioned, the sky looks really plain (ie. boring) at this time. And the focus of the pic is not strong enough, (i'm assuming its the floating platform). I don't know if cropping the top would help, because the reflections look more interesting. It does give an overall serene feel, but somehow it falls flat at the end.
    thanks, will take note. but if i crop off the sky the photo will look uneven sia.

I feel that the blue is a little flat. I would have a gnd on the top. If i were you la.

GND ah.. not my cup of tea leh.

aha. can try lor. can get really great results compared to screw in or NDs.

lol i got a cheap one from ebay to try out , never really invested in a good set yet. maybe you can try that too!

Quote Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
    ah i get what you meant.

one of the considerations could be dependant on the lightings in the environment? assuming that the f-stop remains the same.
    Not really. If you intentionally use such a long shutter speed, often you want to do something like create intentional motion blur or smooth out a water surface or something. So I don't quite understand the need for such a long shutter speed- not saying that you are wrong, but I simply don't understand why you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    I feel that the blue is a little flat. I would have a gnd on the top. If i were you la.
    I disagree- how would a GND help? In this case, the brightness of the sky is not much different from that of the water.
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by gohjialong View Post
    lol i got a cheap one from ebay to try out , never really invested in a good set yet. maybe you can try that too!
    GND also got those screw in ones right?

Quote Originally Posted by candycaine View Post
    Not really. If you intentionally use such a long shutter speed, often you want to do something like create intentional motion blur or smooth out a water surface or something. So I don't quite understand the need for such a long shutter speed- not saying that you are wrong, but I simply don't understand why you need to.
    ya long shutter to smooth the water. if i dont use long shutter, the water will not appear as smooth. besides, the photo will need to have some exposure in it. no point having smooth water when the photo appears to be underexposed. water should not be the only element for consideration, at least for me. in this case, there is the street lamp as well and the list goes on. to sum it up, there has to be a balance.

if i remove the filter, reduce shutter speed etc, it may not necessarily produce the same photo. the environment is changing by the second and we have to adjust accordingly. i think its different shooting style la, if you can achieve what you want, how you shoot it is really not a concern.

ya long shutter to smooth the water. if i dont use long shutter, the water will not appear as smooth. besides, the photo will need to have some exposure in it. no point having smooth water when the photo appears to be underexposed. water should not be the only element for consideration, at least for me. in this case, there is the street lamp as well and the list goes on. to sum it up, there has to be a balance.
    You don't seem to understand the exposure triangle. Who says that if you reduce your shutter speed, your photo will definitely be underexposed?

How do you "balance" the exposure for the street lamps? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

if i remove the filter, reduce shutter speed etc, it may not necessarily produce the same photo. the environment is changing by the second and we have to adjust accordingly.
    2 questions for you.

1. Are you happy with your photo?

2. Since the environment is changing by the second, wouldn't it be better to remove the filter so that your shutter speed remains in the camera's range? Using such a long exposure under bulb mode gives you even smaller margin for error.

In my opinion anyways. Have a nice day
    Olympian

No reply to my above comment?
    Olympian

i will take note of your comments and try shoot again.

exposure triangle sounds new to me.

i will take note of your comments and try shoot again.

exposure triangle sounds new to me.
    It's just the interaction between ISO, f-number and shutter speed. When say, ISO stays the same and f number increases then shutter speed must increase- just an example.

In any case, I was just curious to know why you used such a long exposure since macritchie usually needs less than or about 30 seconds- 60s tops to get the water completely smooth, since it's usually very calm. You replied by saying the 122s exposure was to:

1. Smoothen out the water (see above)
    2. "Give the photo some exposure"

With regards to the 2nd point- this is where I think you have a flaw in your understanding. A longer shutter speed doesn't "give the photo some exposure".
    Olympian

If you don't want to buy GND, Lightroom and I think Photoshop also can put graduated filter. Lightroom's GND can even change colour one, pretty interesting results.
    Last edited by brapodam; 17th January 2011 at 07:11 PM.

my take:

Overall,, the pic is fine. But the problem with such scene is that there is no foreground element to bring the eyes in. For this type of landscape shot, you will need some anchorage point, to draw the vision and lead them into the picture.

thanks for the inputs so far.

The pic gives me an empty feeling, you need to have a foreground in.

there's a very SLIGHT distraction in the clouds at the right hand there, maybe photoshop

this shot came straight from the camera..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast