Thread: Old Yellow Shophouse

Default Old Yellow Shophouse

Was on a short family trip with the Family in Kuala lumpur and came across this shophouse at the corner of the road. My first time shooting with a DSLR camera, a K-R and still not used to the viewfinder and liveview, the image came out to be slightly overexposed especially the sky, maybe the experts here can give me some tip on shooting with it.

I will also like some feedback on the composition. Hoping to lead the viewer with the yellow lines on the floor to the shophouse.

Appreciate your time spent on viewing it.

Default Re: Old Yellow Shophouse

+
    Interesting angle

-
    Contrast a tad too much for me
    Blown highlights
    Too much in a photo
    No leading lines to yellow shophouse
    Focus seems to be on the ground X instead
    Composition can be better - perhaps move in front instead of taking it from opposite the road
    Shophouse underexposed

Overall, good attempt; happy new year bro ^^

I feel that the crop could be tighter. Perhaps to exclude the bus and vehicles. Shooting from a lower angle using portrait mode will work well in my opinion, using diagonal lines in the yellow box on the ground to lead the shophouse.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    I feel that the crop could be tighter. Perhaps to exclude the bus and vehicles. Shooting from a lower angle using portrait mode will work well in my opinion, using diagonal lines in the yellow box on the ground to lead the shophouse.
    expanding further. your image does have leading lines.

just that they lead in 3 directions.

when you use lines, make sure they lead singularly to the subject.

using a lower angle is good, but you would need to explore also an angle to get rid of all the buildings in the background, which are a distraction also, due to the clash in colors.

understood all the advices and pointers given, guess the picture is not well taken enough due to inexperience, will try to work on my technical abilities and have a look at more better pictures. thank you all for the advices given.

did some cropping, not sure whether if it is cropped in the right way to make it better.

thanks to all!

welcome shoot more. don't be scared to suddenly kneel/lie down to take a shot. explore different angles and dare to do what others don't dare to...

just don't do illegal stuff! haha..

you may wanna consider somewhere else like the road divider on the left (not in pic), to focus the subject.
    taking from another angle and bring more of the pavement into the pic, as the lead line perhaps? add some cars in the background along the road to help the composition.

height is definitely a constraint here with the decorative lights in the way and they don't help much. with a lower height or zoom out, these lights may stay out of the picture.

rule of third. you may wanna forgo a bit of the yellow box and capture more of the building and skies as it (yellow box) seems to make up 1/2 of the picture.

you may wanna add some other fotos like straight at the wall arts on slow shutter speed with cars zooming past perhaps.

or have a street sign/ lamps or even a trishaw as foreground to give different depth to the composition.

or closeup of the fungus growth on the walls or long shadows cast onto the windows.

alternative composition in black and white perhaps?

just some suggestions, not criticism. main thing is not to hurry. spend some time if you think you have an interesting subject here and ponder how to make this building stand out.
    Last edited by mitsucolt; 2nd January 2011 at 05:15 PM.