Thread: Hi everyone! Merry Christmas from a newbie~!! ;)

Default Hi everyone! Merry Christmas from a newbie~!! ;)

This being my first post, I would like to say Merry Christmas everyone and have a glorious new year!

I'm a total noob to photography actually. Dont even have my own camera hence hopefully will be able to get a 2nd hand one soon but dont have any idea as to what to get. haha. Just learnt yesterday what a pancake is... lol~

Anyways, I was thinking to get a cam with the following specs and hope you guys/gals have any recommendations for me.

- Must take clear pictures
    - Be able to take decent night shots
    - look like a vintage camera
    - preferably in white
    - suitable for a noob keen on a dslr
    - not too bulky
    - Does not run on AA/AAA batteries

See, told you i'm a noob. Lol. Dont know all those fancy jargons that are usually used here. heh~

I was thinking of getting either one of the following. Do let me know what u think ya?
    1) Panasonic LX3/LX5 - white
    2) Olympus EPL1 - white
    3) Panasonic GF1 - white

Hope to hear from you guys soon and Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers, sweeet

Firstly, those cameras you are considering are not related to DSLR. They are just a higher end of PnS/Compact.

Secondly, if you want a camera that looks like a vintage cam, then go for rangefinders. The Leica M9 is a good start.

Default Re: Hi everyone! Merry Christmas from a newbie~!! ;)

Welcome to CS...
    Canon EOS 60D | EFS 15-85 IS USM | EFS 18-55 IS | EFS 55-250 IS | EF 50F1.8II | Nissin Di622 Mark II

A couple of your requirements are too simplistic. Example: night shots. Are you referring to night portraits (usually using flash for the foreground face) with limited background scenery (cause it's dark). Or do you refer to long term exposures?
    Any camera not being able to take "clear pictures" would get dusty on the shelf, wouldn't it? Why do you exclude AA/AAA batteries? Ever been in remote locations with weird power plugs but a shop selling AA types?
    In general: don't expect a camera to read your mind. But if you make up your mind, understand some basics and read your camera manual you would be able to use the camera to take the pictures in the way you want. All cameras are able to follow your inputs (within their technical specs).
    Define your intended usage. Set priorities.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post
    Firstly, those cameras you are considering are not related to DSLR. They are just a higher end of PnS/Compact.

Secondly, if you want a camera that looks like a vintage cam, then go for rangefinders. The Leica M9 is a good start.
    lol!!

welcome to cs.. as what ismokeweed has said.. those are not Dslr..
    Dslr or slr have a mirror flippin in it when u take a shot..
    sony Nex is not a Dslr..was walking pass their booth when i heard the promoter said tt its e smallest Slr...

white Dslr?? go liik at pentax..
    photography is the process, activity and art of creating still pictures by recording radiation on a radiation-sensitive medium, such as a photographic film, or electronic image sensors. Photography uses foremost radiation in the UV, visible and near-IR spectrum.
    not jus white vintage cameras and dressing them up..
    if u wan a camera tt is able to take clear pictures and Be able to take decent night shots, any camera in e market can do it..its how u use ur camera to make it happen..not ur camera making things happen for u
    Last edited by xbsolut; 30th December 2010 at 03:42 PM.
    Moldy camera, moldy lens..

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by sweeet View Post
    This being my first post, I would like to say Merry Christmas everyone and have a glorious new year!

I'm a total noob to photography actually. Dont even have my own camera hence hopefully will be able to get a 2nd hand one soon but dont have any idea as to what to get. haha. Just learnt yesterday what a pancake is... lol~

Anyways, I was thinking to get a cam with the following specs and hope you guys/gals have any recommendations for me.

- preferably in white
    - not too bulky

See, told you i'm a noob. Lol. Dont know all those fancy jargons that are usually used here. heh~

I was thinking of getting either one of the following. Do let me know what u think ya?
    1) Panasonic LX3/LX5 - white
    2) Olympus EPL1 - white
    3) Panasonic GF1 - white

Hope to hear from you guys soon and Merry Christmas everyone!

Cheers, sweeet
    errrr. what is your budget?

I didn't know LX3/LX5 came in white...

maybe you can add Sony NEX series to your shortlist as well.
    Exploring! :)

Welcome to CS and Happy New Year to you too

Hmm.. your requirements sounds like you need a Holga.. but can't really take night scenery..

Anyway, which ever cam you decide on, you will be the biggest factor that affect the image, not the cam..
    Canon 550D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6IS | EF 50mm f/1.8II |
    My Humble Flickr

Deregistered

Welcome to CS

Welcome to CS

Quote Originally Posted by ismokeweed79 View Post

The Leica M9 is definitely not a 'start' It's probably on the wishlist of many many
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Quote Originally Posted by sweeet View Post
    - preferably in white
    - not too bulky

2) Olympus EPL1 - white
    There you go.
    Canon EOS 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L USM | 50mm f/1.4 HSM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM