Thread: 2nd try for newbie...pls comments

Default 2nd try for newbie...pls comments

went to the zoo last weekend and took some shots.
    however upon viewing closer on pc, i realise that the focus is not as sharp and across the board..pls advise

I find the 2nd pic the best, good contrast between subject and background except for another bird at the back but i guess you can't win all the time

The 3rd pic is pretty good too, look like a post card. Like the lighting. maybe a bit more of the feet?

What was your aperture and shutter speed for these 2?
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

the one with the horse is way too overexposed. what did you use?

i'm still trying out the functions n features of 300D thus needed all your kind comments. this outing is done mainly with aperture priority. trying to get the right feel for exposure settings.

ptwong, i like no.2 contrast too however upon closing in at 100% i found the contour outline of subject not well focus..dunno why.
    no. 3 was done outside a glass wall.
    settings are 1/40 f5 and 1/60 f5 respectively

Spaztik, good point you made. it was the only shot i;ve done with the built in flash. done another w/o and it was terrible..

how can i better do it ar...

Quote Originally Posted by cbr3345
    i'm still trying out the functions n features of 300D thus needed all your kind comments. this outing is done mainly with aperture priority. trying to get the right feel for exposure settings.

ptwong, i like no.2 contrast too however upon closing in at 100% i found the contour outline of subject not well focus..dunno why.
    no. 3 was done outside a glass wall.
    settings are 1/40 f5 and 1/60 f5 respectively

Spaztik, good point you made. it was the only shot i;ve done with the built in flash. done another w/o and it was terrible..

how can i better do it ar...
    1/40? that's pretty slow leh...handheld i presume? with the 75-300? i would say well done actually You might want to up the iso so that the shutter speed can be faster. I'm not too concern about seeing pictures 100% crop because you don't use a magnifying glass to see prints do you? well that's just me.

Drop me a pm and we discuss more?
    300D/5d2/40D/1d3/5D3
    17-40L F4, 28-70L F2.8, 24-105L F4, 50 F1.4, 70-200L F2.8

1/40 to 1/60 was too slow if it's handheld. Try to use manual and set the shutter to 1/focal length. Don't worry about underexpose. Your flash will compensate it.
    For the last pic, try to focus on the bird's right eye instead of the blue feather.

2 and 3 work for me haha...like the catchlight in the squirrel's eye....got cheeky look..