Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

  1. #1
    Member johndoe161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    211

    Default 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Hello all,

    Well, like the title says, my (very brand new ) AFS 70-300mm VR got problems focusing between 210 and 280-ish mm. I tried it on the D5000, set to AF-S focus and the problem still persists. The lens just focus back and forth and does not 'lock'. After a while it just stop focusing altogether and I have to switch the camera off and on for the auto-focus to run again. It pretty much goes away after I zoom out to 200mm or less or all the way to 300mm. Does anyone here experience such a thing with these lens (or any other) or know someone who does? I googled it but cant seem to find an answer. Searched CS also.

    And I also would like to wish all the Nikonians here a very Happy New Year! Cheers!
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

  2. #2
    Senior Member TheChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the action is
    Posts
    2,304

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    How far is the subject you are focusing on?
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

  3. #3
    Member johndoe161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    How far is the subject you are focusing on?
    I was at the zoo when I first encountered the problem. How far? I can only estimate. Less than 50m I supposed. The problem happens all the time at that focal space, far, near, outdoors, indoors with bright light.
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

  4. #4

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe161 View Post
    Hello all,

    Well, like the title says, my (very brand new ) AFS 70-300mm VR got problems focusing between 210 and 280-ish mm. I tried it on the D5000, set to AF-S focus and the problem still persists. The lens just focus back and forth and does not 'lock'. After a while it just stop focusing altogether and I have to switch the camera off and on for the auto-focus to run again. It pretty much goes away after I zoom out to 200mm or less or all the way to 300mm. Does anyone here experience such a thing with these lens (or any other) or know someone who does? I googled it but cant seem to find an answer. Searched CS also.

    And I also would like to wish all the Nikonians here a very Happy New Year! Cheers!
    Assuming you have double confirmed the problem (so as to save you the hassle and the time waste) easiest solution is to take it to the Nikon Service Centre and ask them to have a look (especially if the lens is very brand new (under guarantee).

    p.s. Happy new year too

  5. #5
    Senior Member TheChef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the action is
    Posts
    2,304

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe161 View Post
    I was at the zoo when I first encountered the problem. How far? I can only estimate. Less than 50m I supposed. The problem happens all the time at that focal space, far, near, outdoors, indoors with bright light.
    Try focussing on contrasty objects in good light. If still cannot focus, check with Nikon Service Centre.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

  6. #6
    Member johndoe161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by marios_pittas View Post
    Assuming you have double confirmed the problem (so as to save you the hassle and the time waste) easiest solution is to take it to the Nikon Service Centre and ask them to have a look (especially if the lens is very brand new (under guarantee).

    p.s. Happy new year too
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    Try focussing on contrasty objects in good light. If still cannot focus, check with Nikon Service Centre.
    Thats my last plan. Problem is I work in Jurong Island, NSC close at 7pm Wed and Thur (other days 5.30pm) and I knock off at 6pm. And they dont open weekends. Only way is to 'extend' my lunch hour, with permission of course.
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

  7. #7

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    if not min focus distance issue, then it could be u r trying to focus ur subject in low light.

  8. #8
    Member johndoe161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    if not min focus distance issue, then it could be u r trying to focus ur subject in low light.
    How low is low light? When I was at the zoo, it was a bit overcast but not dark.

    This was taken at 70mm, F8


    This was at 300mm F5.6
    Last edited by johndoe161; 29th December 2010 at 10:49 PM.
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

  9. #9

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe161 View Post
    Hello all,

    Well, like the title says, my (very brand new ) AFS 70-300mm VR got problems focusing between 210 and 280-ish mm. I tried it on the D5000, set to AF-S focus and the problem still persists. The lens just focus back and forth and does not 'lock'. After a while it just stop focusing altogether and I have to switch the camera off and on for the auto-focus to run again. It pretty much goes away after I zoom out to 200mm or less or all the way to 300mm. Does anyone here experience such a thing with these lens (or any other) or know someone who does? I googled it but cant seem to find an answer. Searched CS also.

    And I also would like to wish all the Nikonians here a very Happy New Year! Cheers!
    With D5000, have you tried to focus with the center point only ? Note that in D5000, the corner parts is not as sensitive as the center part.

    I saw that you own D7000. D7000 has an improved auto focusing module than D5000. Have you tried with D7000 and still got same problem ?
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  10. #10
    Member vizuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    80% Sg
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    ur problem is quite normal. It is a common problem for long range lens. Just manual focus (estimate) den switch to auto.

  11. #11
    Member johndoe161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    211

    Default Re: 70-300mm VR Focus problem

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    With D5000, have you tried to focus with the center point only ? Note that in D5000, the corner parts is not as sensitive as the center part.

    I saw that you own D7000. D7000 has an improved auto focusing module than D5000. Have you tried with D7000 and still got same problem ?
    Yeah, I actually use the lens with the D7000 only. Thats where I notice the problem. Fixed it on my D5000 just to check if the problem is the cam or the lens.

    Quote Originally Posted by vizuel View Post
    ur problem is quite normal. It is a common problem for long range lens. Just manual focus (estimate) den switch to auto.
    Seriously? Im deciding to visit NSC to ask them whats the problem. If what you say is true, I can still live with it, only its a big annoyance if I was to zoom at that focal space and cant auto-focus. The 70-300mm can manual focus while on auto-focus, just need to grab the focus ring only. I live with it then for a while and see how it goes.

    Thanks for the info guys and have a Happy New Year!
    < < Photography-On-A-Budget > >

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •