Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Beginner D5000

  1. #21

    Default Re: Beginner D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    Actually I would buy the 55-200 instead of 55-300. That 100mm does not make much difference, so it does not really justify that price increase, especially when it is optically the same. If I wanted to get the 55-300 I would rather top up a bit more to get the better 70-300 lens, which can also be used on FX.
    Sorry TS, hijack your thread for one question...
    i'm was thinking to get 55-300mm or 28-300mm .. which is recommended ?? is it justified for the price and IQ ???

    Thanks.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Beginner D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by gamma15 View Post
    Sorry TS, hijack your thread for one question...
    i'm was thinking to get 55-300mm or 28-300mm .. which is recommended ?? is it justified for the price and IQ ???

    Thanks.
    Based on the List below, 28-300 is 2.5x more expensive than 55-300:
    Nikon Price Guide List
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR - about $490
    AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR - about 1340

    For IQ wise, here are sample pics for both lenses:
    Nikon 28-300 Sample Shots
    Nikon 55-300 Sample Shots

    The lenses are very different, the difference is due to convenience factor. 28-300 lens can be used on both FX and DX and can zoom up to11x. Meanwhile 55-300 is designed for DX and put it on FX body will cause vignetting in the corner of the frames.

    28-300 is also much wider by 27mm. If you bring 28-300 lens for a vacation, you may not bring other lens if you don't take wide angle picture. While with 55-300, you will definitely need to bring another lens along.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  3. #23

    Default Re: Beginner D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by gamma15 View Post
    Sorry TS, hijack your thread for one question...
    i'm was thinking to get 55-300mm or 28-300mm .. which is recommended ?? is it justified for the price and IQ ???

    Thanks.
    For a DX camera, 28mm isn't that wide, so you'll have a weird missing wide range (but it would work great if you have a UWA zoom like Sigma 10-20/Nikon 10-24), but if you don't mind that, then I'd say 28-300 is better than 55-300. If you only want tele, 55-200 should be good enough, and significantly cheaper than 55-300 (not sure if you can still get the 55-200 new though)
    Last edited by brapodam; 31st December 2010 at 11:32 AM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Beginner D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    Based on the List below, 28-300 is 2.5x more expensive than 55-300:
    Nikon Price Guide List
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR - about $490
    AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR - about 1340

    For IQ wise, here are sample pics for both lenses:
    Nikon 28-300 Sample Shots
    Nikon 55-300 Sample Shots

    The lenses are very different, the difference is due to convenience factor. 28-300 lens can be used on both FX and DX and can zoom up to11x. Meanwhile 55-300 is designed for DX and put it on FX body will cause vignetting in the corner of the frames.

    28-300 is also much wider by 27mm. If you bring 28-300 lens for a vacation, you may not bring other lens if you don't take wide angle picture. While with 55-300, you will definitely need to bring another lens along.
    Thanks... for the advice....

    Quote Originally Posted by brapodam View Post
    For a DX camera, 28mm isn't that wide, so you'll have a weird missing wide range (but it would work great if you have a UWA zoom like Sigma 10-20/Nikon 10-24), but if you don't mind that, then I'd say 28-300 is better than 55-300. If you only want tele, 55-200 should be good enough, and significantly cheaper than 55-300 (not sure if you can still get the 55-200 new though)
    Yea i know is not wide enough... i try to minimise my lens...
    first lens i'm getting will be Tamron 17-50
    second lens will be Nikkor 28-300...

    hope they cover my needs in learning...Thanks

  5. #25

    Default Re: Beginner D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by gamma15 View Post
    Thanks... for the advice....

    Yea i know is not wide enough... i try to minimise my lens...
    first lens i'm getting will be Tamron 17-50
    second lens will be Nikkor 28-300...

    hope they cover my needs in learning...Thanks
    Get D5000, then:
    1st. Nikkor 28-300
    2nd. Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    3rd. Nikkor 35 f/1.8
    Do you still need Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ?

    This is my personal oppinion though ....
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  6. #26
    Member Irvine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North? South? East? West?
    Posts
    1,037

    Default Re: Beginner D5000

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff7id View Post
    Get D5000, then:
    1st. Nikkor 28-300
    2nd. Tokina 11-16 f/2.8
    3rd. Nikkor 35 f/1.8
    Do you still need Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ?

    This is my personal oppinion though ....
    u haf to rmb tokina 11-16 doesnt AF on bodies like d5000 due to the lack of inbuilt AF motor. depending on people's preferences, some dun mind the lack of AF, some do.

    heads up to the TS: if u dun mind doin manual focusing all the way, tokina 11-16 is a great lens for its price and it's very sharp. however, if u feel the AF is impt to u, nikon 10-24 or sigma 10-20 or sigma 8-16 will suit u better since they come with AF motors in the lenses. IMHO tho, AF isnt really impt if u r using it purely for landscapes. so it's ur call TS
    Google is your friend. Make use of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •