Thread: Polarizer

Default Polarizer

Hi Guys,
    Wanted to know if i attached a polarizer, can i shoot as per normal or do need any shutter/aperture settings

using Sony SLT A55 w 18250 lens

Thanks

Default Re: Polarizer

Where is the difference compared to normal shooting? It depends in which mode you are. In all modes with automated / half-automated settings the metering through the lens will compensate. If in Manual it will your job to check the exposure meter and do adjustments.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by TommyShooter View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Wanted to know if i attached a polarizer, can i shoot as per normal or do need any shutter/aperture settings

using Sony SLT A55 w 18250 lens

Thanks
    A polarizer reduces around 1 to 1.5 stops of light entering your lens, so expect slower shutter speeds at the same ISO and aperture setting. Like octarine said, the camera will compensate on all modes other than manual.

Thanks. Using it for my Aussie trip so will be using it more for landscapes.
    How does it matter if the lens head is rotating? does it affect the polarizer?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyShooter
    Yes. For a circular polarizer, you need to rotate it accordingly, especially if your lens rotates when focusing. You will be able to see the difference of the filtered light thru the viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyShooter View Post
    Of course. To achieve a certain filter effect you have to rotate the front ring of the filter. If the lens front element also rotates it can counter this. Possible solution: focus first, then rotate the CPL to get the desired effect, take the picture.
    EOS

Ah i see ok thanks