Thread: shooting tips in shanghai

Default shooting tips in shanghai

hi all... am planning a short trip to shanghai, any tips for shooting there are welcome and appreciated!

you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    hi all... am planning a short trip to shanghai, any tips for shooting there are welcome and appreciated!

tips #1 : shoot great photos and share with us
    tips #2 : repeat tips #1

have fun man

Quote Originally Posted by renegade
    tips #1 : shoot great photos and share with us
    tips #2 : repeat tips #1

have fun man
    ha! thanks bro... !

Lightbulb

there r anecdotes of shanghainese people being rather haughty...dunno true or not...street shootign may be intrusive to them

if i'm not wrong, weather wouldn't be good for taking photo during this period. prepare raincoat for your camera.

you might be able to get the $10 shoot all you want and how you want models

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    there r anecdotes of shanghainese people being rather haughty...dunno true or not...street shootign may be intrusive to them
    ok....will steer clear of threatening subjects. i suspect i need to be even more wary of pickpockets!

Quote Originally Posted by ITD
    if i'm not wrong, weather wouldn't be good for taking photo during this period. prepare raincoat for your camera.
    ok... gonna bring the weatherproof oly mjuII as backup camera.

Quote Originally Posted by tmc17479
    you might be able to get the $10 shoot all you want and how you want models
    err... think mrs zaren might object...

thanks for all the tips guys!

Been to shanghai twice. Lovely place to shoot. China in general has lots of rich material.

I like street scenes in Shanghai. The locals (especially the seniors) have lots of character on their faces. The best part is they typically don't care or are oblivious of you.

If you want i can show you some of my picts before you go. PM if you are keen.

Shoot street scenes, the smaller lanes and alleys in Shanghai are full of them. Can check out this local's wet-market, it's called Qing-(something) street... they set up shop along about 500m of backstreet. Just watch your stuff, pickpockets aplenty. Shopping street's on Nanjing road, where there's also a camera emporium if you need to restock.

Also check out the Bund for colonial-era architecture (where the Peace Hotel is...) and you can try shooting from the top of the hilton (or was it Shangri-la, can't remember...) through glass on a clear day, tallest building in the city.

A walkabout 35-70 should be good enuff, i think, spaces are quite tight... or a 50 prime.

Also, try to take day tours to places like SuZhou or HangZhou.

Lot's of opportunities to take candid shots.

Remember to look out for locals in their everyday-life type settings. Don't get distracted by the monuments, otherwise you'll mostly tourist snapshots only.

Most of my shots were taken with 28-105 lens.

Quote Originally Posted by zaren

when where u be there?

Nice place to shoot, just beware of girls asking for time and where you are from etc. at Nanjing road.

Quote Originally Posted by tingchiyen
    Shoot street scenes, the smaller lanes and alleys in Shanghai are full of them. Can check out this local's wet-market, it's called Qing-(something) street... they set up shop along about 500m of backstreet. Just watch your stuff, pickpockets aplenty. Shopping street's on Nanjing road, where there's also a camera emporium if you need to restock.

Also check out the Bund for colonial-era architecture (where the Peace Hotel is...) and you can try shooting from the top of the hilton (or was it Shangri-la, can't remember...) through glass on a clear day, tallest building in the city.

A walkabout 35-70 should be good enuff, i think, spaces are quite tight... or a 50 prime.