Thread: Auto or Manual focus for shooting street candids??

Default Auto or Manual focus for shooting street candids??

Hi guys, just wanna find out when shooting street candids, do you guys use manual or auto focus? Okay I know its a silly question, but its pondering me for very long, as I tried using manual focus in every single situation (in fact I focus manually since the first day I use my dslr), and often I find myself too slow to shoot some candids shot of people...

Default Re: Auto or Manual focus for shooting street candids??

If I'm shooting at eye level, AF. If I'm shooting without raising the camera to my eye, MF, scale focused.
    Why do you use MF so much if you're using a AF DSLR? I love using old MF cameras, in which case there is no choice. But if you're missing shots because you can't focus fast enough, I'd suggest you try using AF.
    Additionally, most modern focusing screens aren't optimised for MF - they are brighter, but focus 'snap' is not as good, unless you change to a focusing screen optimised for MF.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
    Hi guys, just wanna find out when shooting street candids, do you guys use manual or auto focus? Okay I know its a silly question, but its pondering me for very long, as I tried using manual focus in every single situation (in fact I focus manually since the first day I use my dslr), and often I find myself too slow to shoot some candids shot of people...
    Like almost all the answers we get in life... The answer is

"it depends".

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis View Post
    If I'm shooting at eye level, AF. If I'm shooting without raising the camera to my eye, MF, scale focused.
    Why do you use MF so much if you're using a AF DSLR? I love using old MF cameras, in which case there is no choice. But if you're missing shots because you can't focus fast enough, I'd suggest you try using AF.
    Additionally, most modern focusing screens aren't optimised for MF - they are brighter, but focus 'snap' is not as good, unless you change to a focusing screen optimised for MF.
    Hmmm okay thanks for your advise

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Like almost all the answers we get in life... The answer is

"it depends".
    True, cos sometimes the camera can't focus itself and gotta use manual focus to do the job haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Indescribable View Post
    Honestly, I can't see how it matters, its not as if we can convince people that mediocre shots should be viewed as good shots if it was taken by manual focus or vice versa.

Use whatever settings you can to get the shot.

As you admit to being too slow while using manual, then what other option can there be left?

@Daoyin
    As you admit to being too slow while using manual, then what other option can there be left?

MC: Buy the Postcards instead ??? hahahaha
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

Just one thing to add. I do find that AF can be a pain in some situations (events, etc) when I have already pre-focused and don't want the camera re-focusing, delaying the precise moment of the shot and possibly accidentally focusing on the background (very possible when the subject is moving across the frame). In short, I want to retain control of when the AF kicks in.
    I set my Canon bodies to AF when I press the '*' button, not the shutter release button. It's a custom function on some Canon bodies (newer models have a dedicated 'AF' button).

Though you might want to try that. There are some limitations though.

If time permits, MF.
    If not, AF.

But street candids are usually quite fast, so I feel AF is more advisable.

Just a question of doubt, when you MF, you judge the focus base on your eye or the indicator on the camera ?

I started shooting with MF on a film body and moved to AF on a DSLR.... having been through both sides, I'll say.............. it depends!

If you're 'stalking' a subject, waiting for that perfect pose; usually MF works better for me.

If it's purely candid, fast action shots, you'll likely get more oof pics from MF, even with the focus screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Francis
    +1 for this.

I MF more mainly because upclose i cannot get my lens to AF that fast. Prefocusing and estimating distance from subject becomes a little more important. But like mentioned, whatever that works.

Ryan