Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Genting Highlands.

  1. #1

    Default Genting Highlands.

    No, don't cringe. This is not another "Can my camera take the cold?" thread.

    Seeing that my last trip there, I was too young to care, I'd like to ask those who have been there - are there any decent places to take landscapes? The sunrise and / or sunset?

    I'm still deciding on whether to take my SLR up. If there are properly scenic places, I might just. But it's one more thing to look after, it's one more thing to remember, and then there's the potential risk of theft, especially if I pop to the Theme Park and leave it in the room. Who knows how honest Housekeeping is.

    Wondering if the risks outweigh the benefits. I'm not the most oblivious person in the world, but hey, everyone makes a slip once in a while, and I don't exactly have a good $2000 to replace the camera.

    Would love to hear your opinion, advice and anything you have to offer.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    No, don't cringe. This is not another "Can my camera take the cold?" thread.

    Seeing that my last trip there, I was too young to care, I'd like to ask those who have been there - are there any decent places to take landscapes? The sunrise and / or sunset?

    I'm still deciding on whether to take my SLR up. If there are properly scenic places, I might just. But it's one more thing to look after, it's one more thing to remember, and then there's the potential risk of theft, especially if I pop to the Theme Park and leave it in the room. Who knows how honest Housekeeping is.

    Wondering if the risks outweigh the benefits. I'm not the most oblivious person in the world, but hey, everyone makes a slip once in a while, and I don't exactly have a good $2000 to replace the camera.

    Would love to hear your opinion, advice and anything you have to offer.
    Not sure about sunset but might be almost impossible to get a decent sunrise because of the heavy mist in the morning. Have not had any bad experience with the housekeeping but don't trust them that much too, you can place your expensive items in the automated lockers for rent over there, should be safer than in the room.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Not sure about sunset but might be almost impossible to get a decent sunrise because of the heavy mist in the morning. Have not had any bad experience with the housekeeping but don't trust them that much too, you can place your expensive items in the automated lockers for rent over there, should be safer than in the room.
    Yea, that's the exact reason why I'm a tad uncertain. I've got to take the camera and lens, a tripod, spare battery, lenspen. Tonnes of extra stuff. And then comes the leaving it alone for hours part, which well, I hope no one takes offense, but I can't really feel as secure as I do here.

    And then as you say, a sunrise is almost impossible. I'm starting to lean to "Don't bother.".

  4. #4
    Member pasay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    508

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    was there just this weekend, if you're there for just the scenery (sunrise/sunset), the fog in the morning renders visibility to zero. good view in the afternoon though, but im not sure if it's worth calling a sunset shot. more like mountain view above the clouds.

    i did bring my cam and a couple of lenses, flash and tripod. but that was more for family portraits.
    a Nikon body, some lenses, a flash, and a whole lot of dusty photos

  5. #5

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by pasay View Post
    was there just this weekend, if you're there for just the scenery (sunrise/sunset), the fog in the morning renders visibility to zero. good view in the afternoon though, but im not sure if it's worth calling a sunset shot. more like mountain view above the clouds.

    i did bring my cam and a couple of lenses, flash and tripod. but that was more for family portraits.
    Nothing really else worth shooting? I suppose I could always go up again. >$100 for 3D2N.

    And last thing I want during a post A-level break is to lose a 7D.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    Nothing really else worth shooting? I suppose I could always go up again. >$100 for 3D2N.

    And last thing I want during a post A-level break is to lose a 7D.
    You can shoot street though, plenty of people there for you to shoot, or you have children or other family or friends travelling with you and you wanna take photos as memories.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    You can shoot street though, plenty of people there for you to shoot, or you have children or other family or friends travelling with you and you wanna take photos as memories.
    True. Although memories with friends would probably be captured on THEIR PnS. And I don't really have a lens for street shooting, most unfortunately. Looking for a Super Takumar 50 f/1.4 for that though!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by mickle View Post
    I like shoooting sunset,it's beautiful,and I also like street culture shooting
    You mean at Genting? or in general?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    To be honest, I have hardly heard of anyone going up to Genting for photography outing You might end up in casino when you are lost in the mist.

    And it's the same as anywhere in the world... don't trust the housekeeping staff that much.

    Go up, enjoy... sip a cup of coffee after a pint of Baskin Robin ice cream.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

  10. #10

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by szeping View Post
    To be honest, I have hardly heard of anyone going up to Genting for photography outing You might end up in casino when you are lost in the mist.

    And it's the same as anywhere in the world... don't trust the housekeeping staff that much.

    Go up, enjoy... sip a cup of coffee after a pint of Baskin Robin ice cream.
    Sounds good. I'll leave it at home and just enjoy myself.

    Thanks all!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    There are a few things to shoot, but for sunrise or sunset, you will need to scout out a good location. The resort faces east, so you can catch the sunrise. Finding a scenic spot to shoot is rather hard on the resort itself though.

    Despite that, these are the things I found that I could shoot :
    1. The resort itself. The neon lighting and signage indoors and out. The theme parks (think spinning neon merry go rounds; carousels; etc).
    2. People
    3. Temple a bit below the resort (can't remember name); it was ok..

  12. #12
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Can venture to the chinese temple in the middle of the mountain if you have spare time


  13. #13

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Some sample shots.

    Theme park




    People



    Temple

  14. #14

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Ah, lovely! Thanks for these!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by MARK1992 View Post
    No, don't cringe. This is not another "Can my camera take the cold?" thread.

    Seeing that my last trip there, I was too young to care, I'd like to ask those who have been there - are there any decent places to take landscapes? The sunrise and / or sunset?

    I'm still deciding on whether to take my SLR up. If there are properly scenic places, I might just. But it's one more thing to look after, it's one more thing to remember, and then there's the potential risk of theft, especially if I pop to the Theme Park and leave it in the room. Who knows how honest Housekeeping is.

    Wondering if the risks outweigh the benefits. I'm not the most oblivious person in the world, but hey, everyone makes a slip once in a while, and I don't exactly have a good $2000 to replace the camera.

    Would love to hear your opinion, advice and anything you have to offer.
    Quite a misty place and not many areas accessible for shooting. The theme park usually covered with mist as well and the feel/vibe of the entire place isn't really there.

    However, you can take good shots of the Awana Country Club area if you are allowed into the trails. There are adventure races there in late October where you can snap some of the action.

    That being said, if you manage to take good misty shots or try stuff from a different angle, why not? Hard place to get good shots but worth a try nevertheless.

    Why are you going Genting in the first place?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Genting Highlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by dougs View Post
    Quite a misty place and not many areas accessible for shooting. The theme park usually covered with mist as well and the feel/vibe of the entire place isn't really there.

    However, you can take good shots of the Awana Country Club area if you are allowed into the trails. There are adventure races there in late October where you can snap some of the action.

    That being said, if you manage to take good misty shots or try stuff from a different angle, why not? Hard place to get good shots but worth a try nevertheless.

    Why are you going Genting in the first place?
    Great, thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

    As for the why, well, on a student's budget, can't really travel really far for cool weather to properly relax after the A Levels. As some would say, "bo pian". Prices for non-holiday periods are rather quite good actually.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •