Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Coconut seeking for shade

  1. #1

    Default Coconut seeking for shade



    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure and composition

    2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Morning around 9-10am.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    basic PP has been done, which darkens the picture abit to to hide its over brightness.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Override2Zion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore/Bangkok Thailand
    Posts
    2,111

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    The subject in this image is not obvious, its a coconut under a branch of leaves. The coconut is difficult to spot on first look because there is insufficient separation between the coconut and the background. You could have zoomed in more from a distance or simply opening up the aperture. The lighting here is very harsh, when shooting outdoors try to avoid shooting under harsh lighting. Learn about the rule of thirds, leading lines, etc. They will aid you in training your eye for better compositions. Go outdoors more and look around for interesting subjects to shoot. Practise and improve
    Last edited by Override2Zion; 27th December 2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

  3. #3

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    The subject in this image is not obvious, its a coconut under a branch of leaves. The coconut is difficult to spot on first look because there is insufficient separation between the coconut and the background. You could have zoomed in more from a distance or simply opening up the aperture. The lighting here is very harsh, when shooting outdoors try to avoid shooting under harsh lighting. Learn about the rule of thirds, leading lines, etc. They will aid you in training your eye for better compositions. Go outdoors more and look around for interesting subjects to shoot. Practise and improve
    yup.. the lighting was quite harsh.. thanks for your comment.. will take note

  4. #4
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,628
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesteve

    1. in what area is critique to be sought?
    Exposure and composition

    2. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Morning around 9-10am.

    4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
    basic PP has been done, which darkens the picture abit to to hide its over brightness.
    Sorry, the picture just doesn't work for me. Had to strain to find the coconut. Way way too messy.

  5. #5
    Member kwttan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Concrete jungle
    Posts
    845

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Finally saw the coconut, however I find the plant is too small to shade the coconut. Yes, the picture looks messy, there are too much dead leaves surrounding the coconut to make the object stands out.
    D700 * 70-200 F/2.8 VRII * 24-120 F/4 * 50 F/1.4G * SB900
    你敬我一尺,我尊你一丈.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    to be brutally honest, should be dragged to the discard bin at 1st glance.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Can't really the coconut as the whole scene is too messy, a little bit more DOF control would help but not by much I think as the dead leaves are too similar in colour with the coconut

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    IMHO I actually liked the messiness of the scene, adds a natural, untouched feel. However, the problem here is that the coconut and the leaves have almost the same colour, so the coconut is camouflaged under the pile of leaves. Also, I don't see how the coconut is shaded by the red plant. The plant looks so fragile and incapable of sustaining itself and furthermore, it has to look after a coconut? Also, as others have mentioned, the lighting is rather harsh, maybe you could come later in the day to shoot? A lower angle would be favoured also.
    Cheers

  9. #9
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    My humble take on this is that the subject is not obvious. Messiness is one thing but i believe some of us have to search for the coconut.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    to be brutally honest, should be dragged to the discard bin at 1st glance.
    Nikon glass, tools for the art

  11. #11
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by clioboy View Post
    to be brutally honest, should be dragged to the discard bin at 1st glance.
    I don't think that is called for. We all start from keeping almost every shot to being more discerning. If you reckon its not a keeper, then can just be tactful and still honest to ask TS to not keep such shot if its not good in your opinion. A little more tact would suffice.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade



    hi all. what about this? i've tried color splash effect on this.. thou the coconut is still not that obvious, but maybe it does helps a little to bring the coconut to attention? hope so..

    Quote Originally Posted by spree86 View Post
    Can't really the coconut as the whole scene is too messy, a little bit more DOF control would help but not by much I think as the dead leaves are too similar in colour with the coconut
    if i encounter such similar scenes, i will try more on the dof, and be wary of my surroundings..

    Quote Originally Posted by megain View Post
    IMHO I actually liked the messiness of the scene, adds a natural, untouched feel. However, the problem here is that the coconut and the leaves have almost the same colour, so the coconut is camouflaged under the pile of leaves. Also, I don't see how the coconut is shaded by the red plant. The plant looks so fragile and incapable of sustaining itself and furthermore, it has to look after a coconut? Also, as others have mentioned, the lighting is rather harsh, maybe you could come later in the day to shoot? A lower angle would be favoured also.
    Cheers
    thanks for your comment i second to your view, as i really like the messiness, and its the reason why i uploaded it, to see if there's any improvement i can make. but lighting in future, i will take note.

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    My humble take on this is that the subject is not obvious. Messiness is one thing but i believe some of us have to search for the coconut.
    does the color splash effect helps a little?

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    I don't think that is called for. We all start from keeping almost every shot to being more discerning. If you reckon its not a keeper, then can just be tactful and still honest to ask TS to not keep such shot if its not good in your opinion. A little more tact would suffice.
    thanks


    i personally like this pic because of its messiness. and by the title, the coconut is trying to look for shelter, which does not really means that the plant will be suffice to provide shade to the coconut. but it's just my way of interpreting this pic. no offence to anyone.. feel free to critique.
    Last edited by stevesteve; 29th December 2010 at 09:38 AM.

  13. #13
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    No offence at all, I mean I think some times its good to explain what's on your mind. However, I think as far as I am guilty of the same, I guess it would be good if you can capture an image where the meaning conveyed is obvious. I think, okay, your title gave it a meaning, but without the title, I would be wondering what is this about, perhaps a snapshot, I don't know. Like I said, I'm guilty of the same, sometimes we tend to be too caught up with what we are thinking, but then it may not be immediately clear to the viewer what you are trying to convey.

    For me, I am not in favour of colour splash. Maybe sometimes it works, but in this case because of the colour of the coconut in the first place being rather dull, the colour splash does not really make it stand out still. Furthermore, I felt that in the first place perhaps we should try to aim to make the subject obvious and stand out, through composition, than using little tricks to "highlight" the subject, like hey look that one in the colour is my subject.

    Just sharing my humble 2c. Hope I've not said anything to mislead you.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by nitewalk View Post
    No offence at all, I mean I think some times its good to explain what's on your mind. However, I think as far as I am guilty of the same, I guess it would be good if you can capture an image where the meaning conveyed is obvious. I think, okay, your title gave it a meaning, but without the title, I would be wondering what is this about, perhaps a snapshot, I don't know. Like I said, I'm guilty of the same, sometimes we tend to be too caught up with what we are thinking, but then it may not be immediately clear to the viewer what you are trying to convey.

    For me, I am not in favour of colour splash. Maybe sometimes it works, but in this case because of the colour of the coconut in the first place being rather dull, the colour splash does not really make it stand out still. Furthermore, I felt that in the first place perhaps we should try to aim to make the subject obvious and stand out, through composition, than using little tricks to "highlight" the subject, like hey look that one in the colour is my subject.

    Just sharing my humble 2c. Hope I've not said anything to mislead you.
    thanks for ur advice i will take more notice of my subject in future..

  15. #15
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,634
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post
    thanks for ur advice i will take more notice of my subject in future..
    Not much of an advice i'm learnint as well to better define my subject with respect to the setting. Keep shooting and just enjoy the chance to shoot!

  16. #16

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Don't use your DSLR to shoot like a PnS camera is something we need to learn

  17. #17
    Senior Member sinned79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,865

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted888 View Post
    Don't use your DSLR to shoot like a PnS camera is something we need to learn

  18. #18

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Hi thanks for sharing your photo for critique session.

    Firstly in terms of exposure,there are too much blown out highlights on the ground especially on the leaves. These are much polarized reflections. You might consider using a polarizer to cut off these reflections.

    If you hadn't told me the your subject is the coconut, i wouldnt even notice a coconut because it seems to blend into the background, which isnt clear. Mayb you place it on a green patch of grass so to make it more discerning or stand out from the background.

    The green patch of leaves behind is kinda distracting and doesnt contribute to the overall composition. Btw, there is a shade behind , maybe you can try to place it there. You must try it out, i dunno how it'll go but placing the coconut on these type of ground doesnt makes it stands out from the picture.

    Good try anyway, but i guess through more shooting and analysing, u ll improve definitely.It's just a matter of time.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by stevesteve View Post


    hi all. what about this? i've tried color splash effect on this.. thou the coconut is still not that obvious, but maybe it does helps a little to bring the coconut to attention? hope so..



    if i encounter such similar scenes, i will try more on the dof, and be wary of my surroundings..



    thanks for your comment i second to your view, as i really like the messiness, and its the reason why i uploaded it, to see if there's any improvement i can make. but lighting in future, i will take note.



    does the color splash effect helps a little?



    thanks


    i personally like this pic because of its messiness. and by the title, the coconut is trying to look for shelter, which does not really means that the plant will be suffice to provide shade to the coconut. but it's just my way of interpreting this pic. no offence to anyone.. feel free to critique.
    Honestly speaking, i realize this is better than the one before. But there's still much room for improvement btw


    Originally Posted by clioboy

    to be brutally honest, should be dragged to the discard bin at 1st glance.
    Originally Posted by Ted888
    Don't use your DSLR to shoot like a PnS camera is something we need to learn

    Haiya, people are just learning la ...I was once before . Mayb you can give suggestions and advice on how to improve his shot..?

    At least he did bother to post in critique forum and really open for comments unlike Arikyeo
    Last edited by flyfox; 3rd January 2011 at 11:43 AM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Coconut seeking for shade

    Quote Originally Posted by flyfox View Post


    Haiya, people are just learning la ...I was once before . Mayb you can give suggestions and advice on how to improve his shot..?

    At least he did bother to post in critique forum and really open for comments unlike Arikyeo

    Friend, don't get me wrong, I am sharing an advice even though not giving any pointers per se. I am myself learning. If that "advice" does not stike a chord, please ignore it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •