Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EF S18-55 or EF S18-135

Default Re: EF S18-55 or EF S18-135

Quote Originally Posted by benleehk85 View Post
    Is this the lens' limit? I understand my lens' aperture limit is 18mm (3.5) - 55mm (5.6) and I understand also the higher the aperture number (i.e f/22) the more depth I can achieve; which makes everything in focus from foreground to background...
    Or can I do some settings to keep the whole picture focused from corner to corner just like how a compact camera works?
    The aperture numbers describe the maximum opening, not the smallest opening. Read your manual, select a proper mode (e.g. Av). You also want to rad about hyperfocal distance and selecting the right focus point.
    Your sensor is larger than the ones in compact cameras. You need to adjust depth of field by using aperture.
    EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    The aperture numbers describe the maximum opening, not the smallest opening. Read your manual, select a proper mode (e.g. Av). You also want to rad about hyperfocal distance and selecting the right focus point.
    Your sensor is larger than the ones in compact cameras. You need to adjust depth of field by using aperture.
    Thanks so much Octarine! Yes I was in the Av mode, but I kept thinking I can only juggle between 3.5 - 5.6.. Will play around the aperture further!

Quote Originally Posted by benleehk85 View Post
    Thanks so much Octarine! Yes I was in the Av mode, but I kept thinking I can only juggle between 3.5 - 5.6.. Will play around the aperture further!
    3.5 to 5.6 is the minimum aperture range for the focal length of the lens. at 18mm the widest aperture is 3.5 and at 55mm the widest aperture is 5.6 ... but you can bump these all the way to F22 (smallest aperture i think for the kit lens - or is it the smallest for the camera).

you might want to try at the smallest aperture and work from there (increasing the aperture) if you are doing landscapes.

cheers!
    is using a digital camera that works ...

Quote Originally Posted by makolit View Post
    3.5 to 5.6 is the minimum aperture range for the focal length of the lens. at 18mm the widest aperture is 3.5 and at 55mm the widest aperture is 5.6 ... but you can bump these all the way to F22 (smallest aperture i think for the kit lens - or is it the smallest for the camera).

you might want to try at the smallest aperture and work from there (increasing the aperture) if you are doing landscapes.

cheers!
    Yup.. will play around with the small apertures during my next outing.. thanks Mako!

Smallest opening should be f/16. Closing further introduces diffraction, thus blurring the image. f/11 is fully sufficient. Do pay attention to Depth of Field ranges.
    More here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm
    EOS

hi,

it the full package is within ur budget n u r comfortable with it, go ahead getting the 18-135 since the coverage is more which i think is good also.

u'll probably think of much more stuff soon after u get the set. but i think 18-135 is pretty cool to start off.

what's the budget? how much do u intend to buy for now and in the near future?
    if u are unsure of what best suit you, then i will suggest u should go and try out with 18-55 first... from there, learn to figure out what range and aperture u wants for your next lens upgrade...

Smile Re: EF S18-55 or EF S18-135

After trying it out at the showroom, I am afraid that 18-55mm may limit the range that I can explore. As I do not intend to get any lens til I get more familiar with the cam n my needs, I bought the 18-135mm lens.

Thanks to all for your advices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12