Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Help needed: D80 Err message

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    District 12
    Posts
    180

    Default Help needed: D80 Err message

    My cousin's D80 suddenly gave him the Err message at top of the LCD panel and t everything seem to be immobilized ! Can't even focus!

    Anyone encountered something like that before???

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    I think this error indicates that the lens doesn't connect properly to the body.

    Try this:
    1. switch off the camera
    2. plug out the lens
    3. plug in the lens back until you hear the "click" sound
    4. turn on your camera and try to shoot again
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  3. #3

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Yes follow what jeffid said, this error is very in D80, together with the F-- error, especially in heavier lenses, mainly due to the camera not detecting the contact points

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Most likely electronic aperture control is dead. Bring down to nsc for a check

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Quote Originally Posted by centuaro View Post
    Most likely electronic aperture control is dead. Bring down to nsc for a check
    Yep.... I had the same prob 2 mths ago. Went down to NSC to change the electronic aperture.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Quote Originally Posted by kim View Post
    Yep.... I had the same prob 2 mths ago. Went down to NSC to change the electronic aperture.
    Hi

    Am facing this problem now.. May I know how much did it cost you and how long did they take to repair ??

    Cheers..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Which lens are you using?

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Hi am using 50mm 1.8 and 18-200mm VR lens

    I've tried everything from taking apart the lens, battery, reset, card,.. etc. Nothing works. I guess a trip down to NSC is the only option left.
    So,... just wanna know how much approx this will cost. Hopefully its not gonna burn a hole in me wallet. Sigh,...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Quote Originally Posted by bobucw View Post
    Hi

    Am facing this problem now.. May I know how much did it cost you and how long did they take to repair ??

    Cheers..
    If I'm not wrong. Changing the part is cheap. Around $40. But they will charge you a service charge of $120!!

    So total amount to around $160-170 ba.....

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Quote Originally Posted by bobucw View Post
    Hi am using 50mm 1.8 and 18-200mm VR lens

    I've tried everything from taking apart the lens, battery, reset, card,.. etc. Nothing works. I guess a trip down to NSC is the only option left.
    So,... just wanna know how much approx this will cost. Hopefully its not gonna burn a hole in me wallet. Sigh,...
    As you have tried both lenses, and I believe this is not your first time attaching the lens, I suspect that the problem is on the camera itself. This is not surprising happened on an old (aging) body.

    Looks like the electronic contact points on the camera need to be fixed.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Crossville, Tn
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    My D80 gives me an error message sometimes with my Tamron 17-50. I don't seem to have any problems with my Nikon lenses. On the Tamron I just twist it a little and I can take a picture.

    DaveO

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    82

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    fE E blinking message - Lens aperture not set to minimum. You not be able to do anything. Cant Focus and cant snap.

    Set ring to minimum aperure (biggest f-number)

    Such messages is also common with D90.

    Such error messages can be found in the manual. Hope it can resolve your prob.

    Jon

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Quote Originally Posted by JonQuek View Post
    fE E blinking message - Lens aperture not set to minimum. You not be able to do anything. Cant Focus and cant snap.

    Set ring to minimum aperure (biggest f-number)

    Such messages is also common with D90.

    Such error messages can be found in the manual. Hope it can resolve your prob.

    Jon
    Had similar problem several days back on 50mm 1.8. Didn't realize I've accidentally shifted the aperture ring similar to what you mention here. Tested with 18-200mm, it worked fine, except 50mm 1.8. Then did I realize it's not camera body issue but the lens. Adjusted the 50mm 1.8 to minimum aperture and locked it there.

    Works like a charm again.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    fren, most likely your aperture control is spoilt. will cost you abt $160++ at NSC....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Hi All,...

    Yup... Pikaboo is rite. Aperture control died-ed. In ICU now,... how it comes back ok. Sigh,... (
    But jus wanna know... does this kind of thing happen often? So,.. will changing the lens often from 50mm and 18-200mm affects this?... becos of the f/stop ??
    How would one "accidentally" shift the aperture ring ??

  16. #16

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    Quote Originally Posted by bobucw View Post
    Hi All,...

    Yup... Pikaboo is rite. Aperture control died-ed. In ICU now,... how it comes back ok. Sigh,... (
    But jus wanna know... does this kind of thing happen often? So,.. will changing the lens often from 50mm and 18-200mm affects this?... becos of the f/stop ??
    How would one "accidentally" shift the aperture ring ??
    For the AFD lens, have you set the aperture ring to the smallest aperture (big number) and locked the ring ? If you have already locked it, you won't accidentally shift the aperture ring.

    E.g. for 50mm f/1.8D, set aperture ring to f/22 and push the orange switch to lock it.
    NIKON D90 (2008-2010), D700 (2010-2012), D800 (2012-2014), DF (Dec 2013-Sep 2017)

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help needed: D80 Err message

    OK. Got it,... Thanks.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •