Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good netbook to recommend?

Default Re: Good netbook to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    sorry to bump up this thread again...anyone using a netbook with Intel Atom N550
    Dual Core ?
    how's the performance with 1GB ram ?

this would be a good gauge for those planning to buy a netbook though some CPU are outdated or EOL.
    http://www.netbookreviews.net/comparison/
    Yep... I just bought an Asus 1015PEM which uses the Atom N550 processor... and I upgraded it to 2GB ram. I like it... but I do not know what to compare the performance with... but the Asus box says that the N550 has an improvement of about 23%.

If you are interested, I got the Asus 1015PEM (without bluetooth version) for $439 from Harvey Norman, and upgraded the ram to 2GB with an additional $39... total of $478.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    If you are interested, I got the Asus 1015PEM (without bluetooth version) for $439 from Harvey Norman, and upgraded the ram to 2GB with an additional $39... total of $478.
    damn i must have bought mine expensive @ 490 , you reckon i could bring my set to HN for a ram upgrade even though is not purchased from there ?
    Last edited by Simon_84; 2nd February 2011 at 04:35 PM.

damn i must have bought mine expensive @ 490 , you reckon i could bring my set to HN for a ram upgrade even though is not purchased from there ?
    If u bring to HN to upgrade RAM, I think they'll charge you very high if it was not purchased together. The price tag on that piece of RAM they upgraded for me is $149... so I think you'll do better to get a piece from SLS and upgrade yourself. It only takes 1 piece of RAM, so you replace the 1GB one with a 2GB one.
    My Flickr | My Blog

If u bring to HN to upgrade RAM, I think they'll charge you very high if it was not purchased together. The price tag on that piece of RAM they upgraded for me is $149... so I think you'll do better to get a piece from SLS and upgrade yourself. It only takes 1 piece of RAM, so you replace the 1GB one with a 2GB one.
    so what did you do with the 1GB ?
    sell it ?

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot View Post
    LOL, models do outdated very quickly.

Anyway, thanks everyone for his reply. I'm aiming for ASUS now. HP, I got old laptop, didn't have much good experience with it. Now trying to search for best ASUS model to suit my wife.....

edit: now changing my mind... shortlisting Ideapad U165. Seems like good deal cos of larger screen.. 11.5 inch..but equipped with AMD processor.

Problem is with AMD processor has lower MHZ speed and battery life than Intel Counterpart but AMD chipset is powerful onboard. Thats a good thing. Btw I'm using AMD X3 720BE for my desktop not an intel fan either.. LOL
    If your wife will only be using it for browsing the internet, then go for one with the longest batterylife, any model now out is more than good enough for internet use.......

For me after lugging extra batteries for my former laptop that died recently, LONG batterylife is the number one trait I am looking for, so I chose the ASUS EeePc, there are 3 models, the middle model has 10 hrs batterylife (in practice maybe 7 hrs)........and is lightweight

Don't worry about processor slow and such, unless you want to do heavy photoshop and such but then you would not choose for a netbook

And the ASUS service center is at Adeplhi! :-)

HS

I paid sgd 499 for the ASUS EeePC at a famous Funan shop (South Asia).........

don't bother about looking at the specs too much, I mean, most photographers here also buy the best High End Full Frame DSLR cameras just to take shapshots only :-)

Yep... I just bought an Asus 1015PEM which uses the Atom N550 processor... and I upgraded it to 2GB ram. I like it... but I do not know what to compare the performance with... but the Asus box says that the N550 has an improvement of about 23%.

I got the same model (but with bluetooth)! I paid more, I upgraded the memory and didn't take the free gifts, had to pay extra 49sgd for the 2 gb RAM
    Last edited by hongsien; 3rd February 2011 at 02:44 PM.

so what did you do with the 1GB ?
    sell it ?
    Nope... HN took it back... it is an upgrade price... so I think HN will do something with it...
    My Flickr | My Blog

If using EeePC,
    do note some model is not compatible with the 16 chips memory module.
    You should get those memory module with 8 chips (4 each side),
    but these are not easily avail in sls.

Kingston are mostly 16 chips type, try crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    I got the same model (but with bluetooth)! I paid more, I upgraded the memory and didn't take the free gifts, had to pay extra 49sgd for the 2 gb RAM
    your deal is close to what i paid for my bluetoothless model...
    struck with 1gb as well.
    should have went for MSI wind instead.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 6th February 2011 at 11:44 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12