Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good netbook to recommend?

Red face Good netbook to recommend?

Hello All,

Wanna buy a compact light weight Netbook for my wife. Would like to ask what's the brand recommendation? Thanks..

Default Re: Good netbook to recommend?

asus and hp would be my recommendation.

HP Mini. I merely paid 10,000Baht for it, when I was there.
    (circa S$450)
    It's 1kg, and the processor is fast enough for most applications.
    Built in WiFi is also good.

Happy hunting
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

Asus gets my vote! no issues at all since I've got it months back
    Licence to shoot.

Although now i use Acer D255, (9hrs battery life, 5hrs on WiFi), but my Asus EeePc still works like new, and their current EeePc line up is top of the class if i'm not wrong.. So my vote goes to both brands, but i like HP, too, especially the 210 series..
    - troubled undergrad -
    Olympus XA/Canon QL17 GIII flickr

iPad...

i just bought an Acer Timeline X 3820TG 13.3" notebook. weight wise, not much difference from netbook. but it offers more than just a net book with it's i5 processor, ATI graphics and 750gb HDD.
    5D Mark II| 7D| EF50f1.4 | EF85f1.8| 16-35L| 24-70L | 70-200 II L | 150 f2.8 Macro

acer time line x 13.3" weights 1.6 kg. most netbooks are 1.1 kg. you don't think 50% more weight is a difference? if so, then 1.6 kg x 1.5 = 2.4 kg, not much difference also, which is the weight of most normal notebooks....

that said, the acer timeline x is pretty nice in terms of performance for weight.

The brand the service center that is most nearest or nearby drop off point for you.

There are times when a few hour visit to service center is better then wait for next day onsite service...even worse if need to bring back and wait days before return.

Be sure the service center is the official listed one rather then third party one.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

is the search function so difficult to use ?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/searc...rchid=12989617

you very senior liao.
    Objection !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ninelives View Post
    is the search function so difficult to use ?

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/searc...rchid=12989617

you very senior liao.
    LOL, models do outdated very quickly.

Anyway, thanks everyone for his reply. I'm aiming for ASUS now. HP, I got old laptop, didn't have much good experience with it. Now trying to search for best ASUS model to suit my wife.....

edit: now changing my mind... shortlisting Ideapad U165. Seems like good deal cos of larger screen.. 11.5 inch..but equipped with AMD processor.

Problem is with AMD processor has lower MHZ speed and battery life than Intel Counterpart but AMD chipset is powerful onboard. Thats a good thing. Btw I'm using AMD X3 720BE for my desktop not an intel fan either.. LOL
    Last edited by tokrot; 26th December 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot View Post
    LOL, models do outdated very quickly.

Anyway, thanks everyone for his reply. I'm aiming for ASUS now. HP, I got old laptop, didn't have much good experience with it. Now trying to search for best ASUS model to suit my wife.....

edit: now changing my mind... shortlisting Ideapad U165. Seems like good deal cos of larger screen.. 11.5 inch..but equipped with AMD processor.

Problem is with AMD processor has lower MHZ speed and battery life than Intel Counterpart but AMD chipset is powerful onboard. Thats a good thing. Btw I'm using AMD X3 720BE for my desktop not an intel fan either.. LOL
    I just bought the Lenovo U165 as well, great looking little netbook with a decent size screen and keyboard. Comes by default with 1GB ram, so time for me to go RAM shopping n DIY it to a 8GB ram hehe....currently the system is slow and being bogged down by windows 7 on only 1gb of ram... Shall update on the speed of this netbook again after my RAM upgrade.
    A7R3|V12|V15|FE28|MS17|MS35|MS50|50lux|50C|50Artis an|FD85L|FE85|90 cron|
    Σ24|35L|Σ50|135L|70-200G2

Quote Originally Posted by ricleo View Post
    I just bought the Lenovo U165 as well, great looking little netbook with a decent size screen and keyboard. Comes by default with 1GB ram, so time for me to go RAM shopping n DIY it to a 8GB ram hehe....currently the system is slow and being bogged down by windows 7 on only 1gb of ram... Shall update on the speed of this netbook again after my RAM upgrade.
    IMO, 2GB is about right for this kind of machine. 8GB is somewhat overkill. It is not so much the cost of it, but if I were not mistaken, more ram means more of it being run and heated up and consumes more power, draining your battery.

Well, please update us on the battery life after your ram upgrade.
    Do not be afraid [of ghost and bullies] Shoot them......

ha perhaps a 2x 2GB or a 1 x 4GB then....gonna scout ard funan in the evening, duno about the latest RAM prices currently...anyone has ideas?

I was asking in another thread about ill-effects of too much RAM and the answer i got was pretty much the more the merrier ha...

anyway on battery life this lenovo is definitely not the best, currently about 3hrs usage with Wifi, my old samsung netbook (both 6 cell batteries) can manage 4hrs easily with full brightness.

I get 6hrs on my HP Mini (with WiFi)
    Sharpen You Skill, and NOT your Lens....

I upgraded mine to 2x2GB ram which I'm not wrong, should cost S$75 or less ... yes it's definitely faster as I observe video streaming has become much smoother ...

But with that, it'll also drain the battery faster ... oh well, there's always a trade-off ...

happy to say that my lenovo u165 is now happily running 5gb of ddr3 1333mhz RAM, battery life still seems to be about 3 hours from what i see from the battery indicator, may vary with more intensive use i guess (PS, video etc)

Guys thanks for the replies..

I searched and found that U165 seems to have two versions? Its processor has both 1.3 and 1.7G version and 250Gig HDD and 350gig HDD. So Which version you guys got? The battery is 6 cells but how come the battery life is so poor at 3 to 4 hrs? I thought 6 cells should be around 6hrs range? Also may I ask whether the existing ram is 1 Gig in 1 slot? If I upgrade I should be getting other 1 Gig DDr3 1333Mhz ram stick I supposed..
    Last edited by tokrot; 28th December 2010 at 12:59 AM.

mine is the 1.7G 320GB version. 6 cells but the bigger screen and AMD processor sucks more juice out of the batteries i guess, but this is a trade off i am willing to accept. PS CS3 works really well on the system after my ram upgrade

The existing RAM is in one slot, there is a free slot for you to pop in another one.
    Last edited by ricleo; 28th December 2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added hardisk information

sorry to bump up this thread again...anyone using a netbook with Intel Atom N550
    Dual Core ?
    how's the performance with 1GB ram ?

this would be a good gauge for those planning to buy a netbook though some CPU are outdated or EOL.
    http://www.netbookreviews.net/comparison/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast